It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

Oh.

This is a good place. A learning place.

And I haven't yet made enough posts to be able to define my own status :)

Only 1423 to go; let's see, there are 27 days to the end of the year, that's an average of 52.7 a day. Hmmm.

I DO want to stay in touch. I'm not computer literate enough to suggest solutions, however. I'll go with whatever.

themagnificentgoldberg@yahoo.co.uk

Allan

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very, very sad news. I'm completely bummed out now, but while I hope that Jim changes his mind I fully understand his situation and offer him my gratitude and very best wishes - and money if that's what's ultimately needed. I can't begin to express how much I've learned and discovered here over the last four years, and how many friends I've made, whether "real" or cyber.

Please count me in among those wanting to be included and/or willing to help in any way I can, either here or in a new "home" somewhere else.

Edited by RDK

Here's another one who would like to thank Jim for his enormous patience through the years. I've learned very much from this forum, and at its best this place was so much more than the BNBB, or just about any music forum on the internet.

I would hate to see a lot of really invaluable information getting lost forever. There are so many great stories, discographical info, recommendations etc. buried in the various forums. I respect Jim's decision, but I'm also hoping there will be some way to save the many great discussions that have taken place here.

Was rather shocked to see this thread, & depressed about it. I'd like to thank Jim & Organissimo ENORMOUSLY for hosting the site for so many years. I can't say I don't understand the decision, but can't say the decision doesn't hurt, either. The board's been a valuable resource & sounding-board to me, & I really have no idea where else to go online at this point (I've always disliked the AAJ site, & the Jazzcorner site is no longer much use either). & it comes at a bad time--the online site I've been most involved in (Paris Transatlantic) more or less shut its doors this year, for instance. I guess there are places to migrate--much online discussion seems to have moved to blogs & their comments threads--but I guess I liked this particular online community, on balance, most of all.

Sad for me, too. It's been a great ride, but I knew it couldn't last indefinitely - mainly because of the cost of operation.

The facebook idea might not be a bad one. It would be great to keep something going, and I have a hope to meet more of you out "on the road" someday.

The facebook idea might not be a bad one. It would be great to keep something going, and I have a hope to meet more of you out "on the road" someday.

I don't know if I care for the facebook site's interface. It's certainly not like this board.

What would be nice is if we DO in fact migrate elsewhere, that it's something like this board in structure and feel. I love this place! (another thanks to Jim for all that he's done).

I'm guessing the cost for this board was a work-related tax write off (?) as a promotional tool for the band, but could be way off base. Is there anyone else that could host something like this and justify it in a similar way? Assuming donations would still be allowed by the board members?

I find it interesting that many of those posting here assume that the decision is final. I think that those who would like Jim to continue the board should let him know.

I think that's unnecessary--is there anyone among us who doesn't want the Big O to live??????

I would hope Jim knows we all would like to see the board live.

I'm guessing the cost for this board was a work-related tax write off (?) as a promotional tool for the band, but could be way off base. Is there anyone else that could host something like this and justify it in a similar way? Assuming donations would still be allowed by the board members?

I'm looking into it--but I hope, for a lot of reasons, that this place stays around in its current manifestation, even if that takes some more financial heavy-lifting on the part of us board members.

Edited by ghost of miles

perhaps someone with more time on his/her hands can take over the administrator job?

:)

Maybe a team of administrators would ease the stress of one person having to do it all. I hesitate to compare it to the Gorts on the SH forums, because I think they're wayyyy too strict and heavy-handed over there, but they do share the work at least.

Also, I think some of the "negativism" just sort of happens with any group over time - particularly online, where we don't have to see the effects on others of what we sometimes type. We all get on each other's nerves once in a while. But if you take a small break, get some fresh air, etc, and come back, it usually helps. Maybe some people leave and don't come back - maybe that's their only method for coping - but all groups evolve over time.

If we accept that as a given, I think the plusses of this community largely outweigh the negatives. I don't know about the financial aspects, but if that part is solve-able, then I think we can get past the negativism.

Edited by Aggie87

How much does it cost to maintain this board? I we can cover the cost--and I'm sure we can--it should not be difficult to find volunteers to do the administrative chores.

Spoken like a volunteer number one. ;)

I agree about covering the costs. I know we all drop a few bucks in the pot every once in a while, but it is obvious we need to do more. If Jim would consider sharing with us the costs to operate the board, maybe we can put a plan together. :unsure: