It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

I've been out of town all week and have only been able to check in here briefly a few times. Can someone summarize where we're at with the board? Is it going away for sure? Are we sending $$ to keep it going? Are there going to be volunteer moderators (Conn, for example? He's got nothing else to do these days :lol:)

I don't feel like pouring through over a dozen pages right now. :cool:

come on...it's only 400+ posts.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, there's a thread on AAJ about the O board situation, and Mr. Ricci kind of turned it into a thread about needing to drum up money to run that board. He says that it costs them $40K/yr! :blink:

I think we're doing great on the budget we have, and have a better board all around!

Yeah ... I was quite honestly a little confused about the situation here when it first broke, and I know there are some members who frequented both boards. I was hoping to get a little further insight.

I have to say I enjoy both sites. I know many of you have a long history here, and that's part of what makes it what it is. But AAJ serves as a good resource as well, IMO. It's obviously a little more free-wheeling over here, to say the least. :rolleyes: But that's part of the appeal.

Both sites serve a good purpose, I think.

Okay, first and foremost I can't even believe what I am seeing in my Paypal account. Stop donating please before I have enough money to open a Swiss bank account and skip the country! ;) We have more than paid for the site for this year, and even into the next. The total in my Paypal is $2655.06!!! And that's not even including any checks that have or will be sent.

I am in Indy right now, but I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon and I will call CIHost to see how far in advance I can pay for my server. I can't even imagine not having to worry about this place financially for almost 18 months! Wow!

I've tried to write a line to thank everybody but I keep deleting it and re-writing it and I just can't find the words to express my gratitude and the love and support I feel from everyone. It's just amazing.

I guess the next step is to pick two or three moderators that can help carry the load of maintaing "law and order". I'm going to think about this one for awhile and any suggestions are welcome. Perhaps PMing me is the best way, so people don't feel put out or left out or whatever.

Again, thank you all. I'm just in shock. Absolute shock.

I've been out of town all week and have only been able to check in here briefly a few times. Can someone summarize where we're at with the board? Is it going away for sure? Are we sending $$ to keep it going? Are there going to be volunteer moderators (Conn, for example? He's got nothing else to do these days :lol:)

I don't feel like pouring through over a dozen pages right now. :cool:

Basically, it was decided that you would foot the bill for this board completely. Thanks bud! :tup

Okay, first and foremost I can't even believe what I am seeing in my Paypal account. Stop donating please before I have enough money to open a Swiss bank account and skip the country! ;) We have more than paid for the site for this year, and even into the next. The total in my Paypal is $2655.06!!! And that's not even including any checks that have or will be sent.

I am in Indy right now, but I'll be back home tomorrow afternoon and I will call CIHost to see how far in advance I can pay for my server. I can't even imagine not having to worry about this place financially for almost 18 months! Wow!

I've tried to write a line to thank everybody but I keep deleting it and re-writing it and I just can't find the words to express my gratitude and the love and support I feel from everyone. It's just amazing.

I guess the next step is to pick two or three moderators that can help carry the load of maintaing "law and order". I'm going to think about this one for awhile and any suggestions are welcome. Perhaps PMing me is the best way, so people don't feel put out or left out or whatever.

Again, thank you all. I'm just in shock. Absolute shock.

That's great news Jim!!! :) Kinda fits into the season, doesn't it????

See? I told you if I offered to leave, people would donate! The people have spoken: when I hit 5,000 posts, I will leave!

And promptly come back the next day! ;)

Seriously, I'm happy you realize not only how much we love this place, but how much we love YOU, man!

And no, I don't want to be a moderator. I have neither the time, the energy, nor the desire. Plus, if y'all think I'm anal now, just put me in charge of something like this. I'll make more enemies in an hour than my usual pace (two hours).

Zora (to her daddy): Daddy, they say that when you hear Bird play the alto, an angel gets his wings and Mr. Big Al gets a little smarter.

Daddy b3-er (to Zora): That's right, dear; that's right! (Daddy b3-er looks to the sky and winks as the bells continue to ring and Mr. Big Al still tries to figure out what all the fuss is about Bird)

Everyone, keep donating until Jim realizes that he truly is one of the finest B3 players in the land (not to mention a true mensch)!

Here's to the next Organissimo record! I mean, love this board, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that Organissimo is truly a fine, fine band from the recorded evidence. I look forward to bearing witness in the flesh sometime soon.

I just spent an hour poring over this thread.

I am glad that everyone stepped in and that 2008 is covered. Claude posted something somewhere about sending money in occasionally but not knowing exactly how much to send. I am in the same boat - I have contributed a few times, but always wondered if it was enough.

But Jim's post did make it clear that money is far from being the only issue. I can only add my heartfelt thank you to Jim for all the work he has put into this board since it started. It really takes a lot of effort and sometimes we forget how much personal time is invested by Jim and Jim alone.

I have tried to glance at the other board a few times, but quickly log off in disgust. This is the best jazz (and more) discussion group on the web; the others can't hold a candle to it.

Although I am hardly the chief offender, I will try to hold my tongue more in the future when it comes to criticizing other members. I will make an exception if anyone comes in aggressively dumping on someone else. The only example I can think of is DEEP's ridiculous posting on Butch Warren. DEEP was banned, which speaks volumes for Jim's common sense. People like that can only poison a discussion group. I know some of you like him, and that's fine, but he cannot be allowed to wreck the forum.

I reserve the right to continue ragging on Wynton Marsalis, since he expects people to shell out their hard-earned money for his crappy CDs. If he ever becomes a member here, I will have to back off :)

I LOVE the idea of a big concert with Organissimo, the Reptet, David Weiss, Frank Kimbrough, Michael Weiss, Jazzypaul and all other professional musicians who post here. Maybe Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock (who lurk on occasion) can join in.

Bertrand.

:tup :tup :tup

i have a constant smile in my face for almost three minutes now, hadn't even noticed, the possible departure of the board had bothered me THAT much...

Yes, that's indeed great news!

Never mind saying thanks to all of us donators, Jim - just keep the site going that's all we can hope for! :)

And do accept the offers for help if necessary! I'm sure this board can get a bit too much with all the other much more important responsabilites you've got!

When a check clears, tomorrow, another goes out to Jim. This is really great news and it should encourage us to continue sending money in, prevention is indeed preferable to another cure. Now we need to come up with volunteers who will give Jim the time he needs, and I can delete (or archive? Tell me) the list of 78.

As for the other boards, there is no comparison. They are sterile and monitored by people who don't handle well their position of authority. Jim's attitude represents a stark, wonderful contrast. I abandoned the corner about 2 years ago and have never felt a need to return. AAJ is owned/operated by someone for whom I have great respect and wish well, but he has among his monitors at least one man who abuses his authority. That's what drove me away from there. Owners and their monitors are a measure of a board's ambiance--the Big O has ambiance that overrides the occasional bump.

I'm just blathering, but I blame it on the intoxicating turn of events.

When a check clears, tomorrow, another goes out to Jim. This is really great news and it should encourage us to continue sending money in, prevention is indeed preferable to another cure. Now we need to come up with volunteers who will give Jim the time he needs, and I can delete (or archive? Tell me) the list of 78.

As for the other boards, there is no comparison. They are sterile and monitored by people who don't handle well their position of authority. Jim's attitude represents a stark, wonderful contrast. I abandoned the corner about 2 years ago and have never felt a need to return. AAJ is owned/operated by someone for whom I have great respect and wish well, but he has among his monitors at least one man who abuses his authority. That's what drove me away from there. Owners and their monitors are a measure of a board's ambiance--the Big O has ambiance that overrides the occasional bump.

chris don't delete the list - i think a email list of my favorite jazz buddies would be something nice to have and i would like a copy as i am sure others would.

chris don't delete the list - i think a email list of my favorite jazz buddies would be something nice to have and i would like a copy as i am sure others would.

Don't fill my inbox full of babes pics, please! ;)