It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

Jim, Is your decision final?

I know that I have made huge decisions at a time when financial and family pressures combined with a burst of negativity from the outside world, to push me over the edge--a tipping point was reached.

I hope that the recent threads about negativity on the board did not cause you to reach a tipping point.

I thought that those threads were way overstated. I have never thought that there was any appreciable amount of hostility or negativity on this board--much to the contrary. I have thought that this board is a model of reasonable discussion.

I hope that you reconsider.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very bad news, As has been pointedout, many of us have developed a cyberfriendship here at the Big "O". It occurred to me that there ought to be one place where we can at any time obtain an e-mail address for a fellow member. This may be a lousy idea, but I have set up an e-mail address to which we can send our e-mail. That way, we will have one place to go and we need only go there once. So, if you want fellow members to find you after the O is gone (and I still hope it doesn't), you can send your O handle and e-mail address to:

BigOalumni@mac.com

I'll generate a list out of that and give it only to y'all.

Well, it's an idea. The address is up and responses have been received.

Edited by Christiern

I actually would suggest, if Jim can be persuaded (and financially assisted) that the board be continued with only musical topics, though it may be too late, from Jim's perspective, for this -

I also believe that there probably should be some kind of financial requirement, possibly for membership in order to post, even if it is as low as 5-10 bucks a year -

I actually would suggest, if Jim can be persuaded (and financially assisted) that the board be continued with only musical topics, though it may be too late, from Jim's perspective, for this -

I also believe that there probably should be some kind of financial requirement, possibly for membership in order to post, even if it is as low as 5-10 bucks a year -

Music only would prohibit dudes like me from participating as much.

Of course, that could your plan. :w

If charging an annual membership fee makes it all work, I'm in.

So this looks like it's the end. Or it will be in a few days :mellow:

It's been an interesting journey for several years...

Thanks must go to Jim A. for providing the place and letting us roam freely. Everybody can understand his reasoning.

The BNBB was the first Board I joined. This was the second. I don't think I will join another one (not JC or AAJ in any case)!

Well, it's time to move on!

Good luck to everyone!

on my way home from work i was just thinking "well if we're moving on i will just go where brownie [father figure of yurpean board members] is going..." come on, losing this board is more than enough for poor souls like me, stay around for another board!

I'd like it to continue as well, but with musical AND non-musical topics. I think the primary tension causing stuff is a result of the political (and religious) threads. If that were done away with, 90% of whatever hostility exists would probably go with it. There will always be some disagreeing about other stuff, but most of that is manageable, I think.

Jim, thanks for everything. I have learned a lot from this board and have been tipped off to some great CDs and some great shows as well. I haven't managed to see you guys live, but hopefully you'll make it through Chicago in 2008. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I'd add that I hope you reconsider, but I can understand why you wouldn't.

Eric

I'd started this post in my text editor, then logged on to 'put it up'. I've been 'away' for nine months or so, and am only now returning with the kindly-offered use of another Board member's computer.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to start a new thread for a low-interest item, but I’m back, and it feels good.

“Back” means “back at Organissimo” and “back listening to jazz, at least for a little while and from time to time”. Too much travel kept me away from both for the past nine months or so – not that I was ever much of an active board member.

It was enjoyable travel, to the extent that such a thing as ‘enjoyable’ can exist without recorded music. (There was, of course, live music from time to time, on the streets of Asmara or Niamey, for instance.)

So this thread is just me, exhaling and hoping for a few days of civilization and, of course, music.

---------------------------------------------------------

The first thread I came across was this one.

Say it's not so! Or fill me in on how to make it 'not so'. And if it is 'so', thanks to all concerned.

I haven't been much of a contributor lately, but that doesn't mean I don't care.

Maybe now's the time to come out of the closet (so to speak) and see who we really are.......Who's Bob Belden, etc.....that would be a realy nice last thing to know from this board. Everybody knows I'm Michael Cuscuna (not!!!).

You wait. If the board does go, I'm going to drop some big ass confessions at the end of December.

Stay tuned.... :ph34r:

Maybe now's the time to come out of the closet (so to speak) and see who we really are.......Who's Bob Belden, etc.....that would be a realy nice last thing to know from this board. Everybody knows I'm Michael Cuscuna (not!!!).

You wait. If the board does go, I'm going to drop some big ass confessions at the end of December.

Does that mean......does that MEAN.......that you are Wynton Marsalis?

Just as I always suspected. Catesta = Aric.

I find it interesting that many of those posting here assume that the decision is final. I think that those who would like Jim to continue the board should let him know.

I know that when I quit a job once, a senior person told me that I would be besieged by people begging me to stay. I got ready for the onslaught. When no one said a word, I was taken aback, and any thought I had about reconsidering my decision was wiped out.

Well, I'm relatively new here, and even for the short time I've been dropping in, I've enjoyed the discussions. The elbows come up every now and then, but ... I guess I'd have a different perspective if I was running the board.

Anyways, for what it's worth, I'd be happy to kick in a subscription fee or donation or whatever, if money is the issue. I get the feeling that money isn't the main obstacle, though.

Recruiting moderators might also help things. I'd hate to see this lively place go down.

I find it interesting that many of those posting here assume that the decision is final. I think that those who would like Jim to continue the board should let him know.

I think that's unnecessary--is there anyone among us who doesn't want the Big O to live??????

True, but it's wise to say "I love you" to the person you love. They like to hear it, in my experience, even if they should reasonably assume that you feel that way.

Hey wait, wasn't there a song in "Fiddler on the Roof" about this very point?

Wow -

I've been here since day one (or two?) right after the BNBB demise and it's been a great place to hang. Have to admit I've been much more of a viewer than a participant in the past 2 years, because I feel I've had little to add in general that I've not already contributed at some point.

I’ve met a few people offline and have had a few virtual/real beers with others in the chat room. Many here have recommended things to do and see on my vacations – thanks!

I don’t think I’ve offended anyone (unless you are offended by an atheist Canadian libertarian) as I’ve never posted in the Politics Forum; life seems too short for me to type anything in there. Though I’ve read some interesting threads in that forum, I’d rather be turned onto new recordings and artists I’ve never listen to before. Thanks to all of you with diverse interests – it has both expanded my taste and diminished my wallet.

As an internet producer and writer for several websites during the Organissimo time, I often come here during my day, to see what’s up, and to distract myself (in a good way) from my work when I get stuck and stressed about something. Can’t say that any other current BB does that for me.

Jim, my one regret is I’ve still never heard you guys play live. But as someone who has heard many of the same Detroit cats as I have, I hope to some day catch you playing in Michigan, expanding on the tradition of great live music we grew up on. I’ll buy you all a good beer or two. Better yet, hit Toronto!

Thanks for the space.

Edited by Robert J