It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely willing to chip in $12/year, and certainly more, even on an auto-pay, recurring basis--no question.

Really don't want to see the board go; I've been here since day one and check in almost daily.

Regardless, my email is peterjjohnson[at]gmail.com

I'll send that to Chris' alias as well.

Would 150 posters here pay a $12/year subscription rate? I think they would...hell, I just spent nearly 12 bucks on lunch.

Just came in from a 200 mile car journey and I read this thread. What the hell happened? :blink:

Jim and Organissimo have done an absolutely fantastic job in hosting this board since the demise of the BNBB - without doubt the finest jazz bulletin board, bar none, and with an unparalleled level of expertise in the collective user-base. There's rarely a jazzy question raised that cannot be answered by the collective membership - on any aspect of the music. Barring the politics, its also a great place to hang out.

I'd like to thank Jim and Organissimo very much for hosting us since that transition (was it 2003?) and providing a home from home and even tolerating the Mosaic and vinyl fetishists amongst us.

I hope that, as happened in 2003, some way can be found to keep the community together and would also be willing to make a contribution if that is what is required.

Come what may, I'd be delighted to keep in touch by email with the good and valued friends across the globe I've made on this board.

I would definitely subscribe.

$150 x 12 = $1800

$1800 divided by 50 subscriptions = $36 per.

100 = $18 per year.

And w/ the dollar falling $18 is chump change to the non U.S. board members :P

I guess no one saw my earlier post. Jim says it costs $150 a month to keep this place running. $1800/year is very doable if everybody chips in.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

How much does it cost to maintain this board? I we can cover the cost--and I'm sure we can--it should not be difficult to find volunteers to do the administrative chores.

No probs about making contributions - even regularly.

And, as I'm retired, I've got time to do something administratively, though if it needs special equipment/software/living in America, there would be difficulties. But, if it helps, I volunteer.

MG

Would 150 posters here pay a $12/year subscription rate? I think they would...hell, I just spent nearly 12 bucks on lunch.

Per year? Hell yeah! I'd pay twice that!

Good, then you can pay my share too! :P:w

J/K, I'd be glad to pay that as well!

Edited by Aggie87

For me the only real plus of having moderators here would just be to give Jim a break.

Nothing ever got so bad that a warning or the occasional thread closure would not correct the problem.

Exactly. We've done a pretty good (I'd even say great) job over the years self-policing ourselves with just the occassional moderation/warning/closure/etc. from Jim. One of the hallmarks of this board is Jim's light-handed moderation - coupled, of course, with the relative maturity of the posters. Even the last "tiff" seemed wildly overblown to me. We can all get along, so I don't think the moderation part of the board would be all that hard. The actual administrative work might be more time-consuming, but it looks like enough of us are willing to foot the bills.

It would be great if we could remain here, with our "history" intact, even if Jim gives up the day-to-day operation of running the place.

Very, very sad news. I'm totally bummed out now. I didn't post much, especially last year, but I'm here a lot, reading, chatting etc.

Thank you, Jim, for the great-great ride. I truly hope this board will not cease to be on Jan 1st, but I'll understand if it will.

What can I say, this small web-communitte of ours has become my favorite virtual pub. It's hard for me to imagine what it will be like should Jim will shit this place down.

Nevertheless. happy Hanukkah everyone!!

If there's anything that can be done in the next few weeks to reverse this decision, I certainly hope that it happens.

If not, well, it's a shame to those of us in the O-Community and, I suspect, quite a few lurkers as well, but it is a privately run concern, and it surely is a mental and financial stress. So I understand fully, and offer nothing byut thatnks and love.

But still, if anything can be done to reverse this decision....

And where is is there a pre-exisiting forum that is hospitable not only to jazz, but ORGAN jazz in particular, as well as all the other socio-musico things that come from/by/around that music and it's environs past, present, and future?

The loss, if it occurs, will be deeply felt. This isn't "just anopther jazz board" by any stretch of the imagination...

Can't say that I didn't see this coming.

Many thanks to Jim for providing a place for all of us to to come together. I know that I've made some good friends and good acquaintances here.

I've contributed in the past and would be willing to contribute in the future, but I'm sure that there's more than just $ involved. Jim can speak for himself, but with a family and a new child on the way, I'm sure that time and energy are also factors.

Whatever happens, I've enjoyed my time here immensely, and I thank Jim and other members for that.

UPDATE

BigOalumni@mac.com

has received 13 e-mail contacts so far. That includes the e-mail addresses posted into this thread, I assumed that nobody would mind.

Once we have the list, I can either send a copy to everyone who is on it or simply send it to anyone on the list who requests one or more addresses. Open for ideas--please suggest what I should do--and if you wish to be removed (damn, I sound like a spammer), just let me know.

I think there is indeed more than $$ involved--a couple of fair-minded moderators would not hurt this place at all. As for the money angle, might be good to keep a running tab at the top of the page as to how close the board is to $1800 (or whatever the annual amount is that's needed), so that people could "up" their subscription/pledge if they wanted to--or if those sitting on the fence would be more inclined to contribute. I speak from several years of public-radio fundraising experience... :excited::crazy:

I think there is indeed more than $$ involved--a couple of fair-minded moderators would not hurt this place at all. As for the money angle, might be good to keep a running tab at the top of the page as to how close the board is to $1800 (or whatever the annual amount is that's needed), so that people could "up" their subscription/pledge if they wanted to--or if those sitting on the fence would be more inclined to contribute. I speak from several years of public-radio fundraising experience... :excited::crazy:

That sounds the sensible voice of experience, Ghost.

What we need is a word from Jim to say what it would take to keep things running - particularly in terms of what admin jobs and personnel would be needed so he can take a leak from time to time. :)

MG