It's a Wonderful Organissimo Board

ghost of miles

I've greatly appreciated and enjoyed this board. It's the only one I've ever belonged to, the only one I've ever wanted to belong to. Thanks to Aggie87 for letting me know about it a few years back. I hope it can continue somehow. I've contributed financially for the past couple of Decembers, and will continue to. My email is john.felser@verizon.net, for anyone who wants to stay in touch if the board does go away.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd offer myself as moderator, but the words "Allen Lowe" and "moderation" go together like "George Bush" and "intellectual property" -

on the other hand, if you guys can remind me to take my meds, I might be able to do it -

Works for me. And we should be able to raise the necessary $ to keep the board going if the band is willing to allow us to continue to hang out on the site. Allen, take your meds :-).

I'd offer myself as moderator, but the words "Allen Lowe" and "moderation" go together like "George Bush" and "intellectual property" -

on the other hand, if you guys can remind me to take my meds, I might be able to do it -

But Allen, you're too smart for us, remember? :lol:

I nominate Chris and Conrad to be co-mods of the Political Forum! :g

Seriously, though, I've never thought that this board needed much moderation; I think it's more the administrative functions that are so time-consuming.

I'm going to miss it when it goes. I was a frequent visitor to the AAJ board before discovering this one and over time, tended to post more here and visit here more frequently than the other. I've learned a lot here and got a lot of great tips on new music. I'd certainly like to be kept in the loop if this board picks up and moves elsewhere. My email:

michaels777@hotmail.com

(For what it's worth, I wouldn't miss it at all if the political/religious options were absent from the board. They seem to create many more problems than they do constructive exchange of ideas.)

Edited by mikelz777

I've contributed financially for the past couple of Decembers, and will continue to.

Which raises the point - are ongoing contributions for the continuation of the board appropriate, or is it at this point a "thanks for the memories" gesture?

Fair enough question, but maybe it shouldn't matter. Maybe if a person is willing to contribute for the coming year (if there were to be one), they should also be willing to contribute for the past year(s). Just a thought.

I'm usually the last person to use the line "think of the children," but not having this board gives Jim more minutes with his family without the worry of wondering if the dbase, server, or members' manners are functioning right. Maybe in 13 years if his kids are too cool to be seen with Dad he can start up another discussion board. ;) By then of course it'll all be holographic, with a sense of smell!

Without this board I don't know when or if I would have discovered the Jazz In Paris series, Von Freeman, Carter/Bradford's "Seeking" (or hatOLOGY period), Chu Berry, Teagarden the vocalist, or a bunch of OJCs that don't make "100 Best" lists. And so much more. And now mostly because of this board a whole new exciting world of classical has opened up. Luckily I have parts of some recommendation threads copied as text files, but I'll be hitting the search function hard in the next couple of weeks. The tricky part is figuring what I might be interested in 3 years from now that I don't know now to look for.

A transfer of the database would be a beautiful thing if possible. And maybe keeping the band's affiliation "unofficial" would be better professionally. But whatever happens, thank you Jim, the band and the board for the good times & great advice.

I've contributed financially for the past couple of Decembers, and will continue to.

Which raises the point - are ongoing contributions for the continuation of the board appropriate, or is it at this point a "thanks for the memories" gesture?

Fair enough question, but maybe it shouldn't matter. Maybe if a person is willing to contribute for the coming year (if there were to be one), they should also be willing to contribute for the past year(s). Just a thought.

Agreed, but it's always easier to give "in the spirit of" when you know what the spirit is of.

It's an emo/psycho/neurotic/spiritual thing, just like so much other stuff on this board. ;)

Perhaps I'm being selfish in wanted to know a bit more, but I wish Jim would post something in this thread.

(All I have seen is the original, linked post from above; have I missed anything?)

I don't know what Jim's been up to today, but if he doesn't post before his gig tonight, I wouldn't expect anything until the wee hours.

Hoping for the best, but if by any chance this board (or most of the members) does pick up and move elsewhere I'd very much appreciate being kept in the loop also. My email:

griffinclarkbrooks@yahoo.com

Oh, and of course---

YIKES!

Edited by BruceH

Wow...

Very sad news.

I haven't posted much over the years...much more of a lurker...but I can't even begin to describe how much I've benefited from the presence of this board and all the people that post here. I had only been listening to jazz for about a year when I discovered this board...back in '03 or '04...so this board has been an integral part of my understanding of and appreciation for this wonderful music. I really hate to see this place go... As others have said, I would gladly contribute financially, either monthly/yearly, if that's what it takes to keep this place alive. If there is more to Jim's decision than money (as there seems to be), well...I understand.

This place will be sorely missed...

When there is a will there is a way.

I'm confident that there is a core group of board regulars that are willing to support the forum financially and with manpower. There are much more exotic internet forums that manage to survive.

Organissimo is the best jazz forum worldwide and must survive. If it closes many of us will miss it dearly, so don't take this issue too lightly.

I'm usually the last person to use the line "think of the children," but not having this board gives Jim more minutes with his family without the worry of wondering if the dbase, server, or members' manners are functioning right.

And with another due in the spring, this is perfectly understandable. But it's probably also perfectly soluble.

MG

UPDATE II

BigOalumni@mac.com

has received 29 e-mail contacts so far. That includes the e-mail addresses posted into this thread, I assumed that nobody would mind.

To repeat earlier note: Once we have the list, I can either send a copy to everyone who is on it or simply send it to anyone on the list who requests one or more addresses. Open for ideas--please suggest what I should do--and if you wish to be removed (damn, I sound like a spammer), just let me know.

When there is a will there is a way.

I'm confident that there is a core group of board regulars that are willing to support the forum financially and with manpower. There are much more exotic internet forums that manage to survive.

Organissimo is the best jazz forum worldwide and must survive. If it closes many of us will miss it dearly, so don't take this issue too lightly.

I'm not too worried about our ability to find another place elsewhere (or create a new one) if necessary, but I'd much rather find some way for Organissimo to stay in existence, even if Jim no longer wishes to run it. I'd hate to see all the posts and info gathered here over the years lost to cyberspace. Is it possible to keep the board database intact and simply transfer it all to another server? Or simply take it over from Jim?