Help me choose my next Ellington purchase

bluesbro

My next Ellington should be:  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a great deal of Ellington already? This is somewhat of an unusual list, including some albums that are probably in a lower tier of necessity for an Ellington music lover. I can think of 25 albums easily which I would get before any of these.

"Masterpieces by Ellington" would be my choice from this list.

Do you have a great deal of Ellington already? This is somewhat of an unusual list, including some albums that are probably in a lower tier of necessity for an Ellington music lover. I can think of 25 albums easily which I would get before any of these.

I got maybe some 25 CDs, plus the complete RCA box. These are the most glaring omissions I think I have in my collection.

I got maybe some 25 CDs, plus the complete RCA box. These are the most glaring omissions I think I have in my collection.

I would suggest that the following would be ahead of the albums on this list:

New Orleans Suite

Jazz Party

Historically Speaking

The Jaywalker

70th Birthday Concert

Do you have all of those?

I would suggest that the following would be ahead of the albums on this list:

New Orleans Suite

Jazz Party

Historically Speaking

The Jaywalker

70th Birthday Concert

Do you have all of those?

Only the New Orleans Suite, which isnt a favorite of the suites I've heard.

I have to say that I am sucker for Duke's piano playing. So anything that puts him on the spotlight, is high on my list.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Guest Bill Barton

I voted for The Intimate Ellington after reading your comment about being a sucker for his piano playing. It's a beauty...

I'm assuming that you already have Money Jungle?

Edited by Bill Barton

I voted for the duets w/Brown. Late Ellington has always been special for me, and this is quite late. Plus it's full-frontal piano late Ellington.

Do you have Live At The Whitney, though? That one is beyond category.

Ultimately, though, they're all good choices and you'll end up getting them all.

I voted for the duets w/Brown. Late Ellington has always been special for me, and this is quite late. Plus it's full-frontal piano late Ellington.

Ultimately, though, they're all good choices and you'll end up getting them all.

Could not agree more about the Whitney, what a beauty.

Could not agree more about the Whitney, what a beauty.

Oh HELL Yeah!!!!! "New World A-Coming" is worth the price of admission alone!

Masterpieces was a real mind fuck for me the first time I heard it, and it still is. Those charts just....go places, marvellously unexpected places. Interestingly, it was originally released as a green-label Columbia Masterworks (i.e. - "classical") album!

Of the choices offered, it was a close second to ...Blanton.

totally. Cecil is much more beautiful than Tommy, who might be a real nice guy & all but is such a soporific, by the time he does something ** really ** beautiful the effect is greatly muted cuz we're already half asleep. (ah, but what "touch" hokum cliche bosh etc etc.) play the WHOLE goddamn piano, PLEASE. (& Duke did-- edc didn't even have to ask.)

Clementine,

To each his own, taste is a personal thing, but if you are unable to appreciate Tommy Flanagan and Hank Jones, you have my sympathy.

Edited by Peter Friedman

totally. Cecil is much more beautiful than Tommy, who might be a real nice guy & all but is such a soporific, by the time he does something ** really ** beautiful the effect is greatly muted cuz we're already half asleep. (ah, but what "touch" hokum cliche bosh etc etc.) play the WHOLE goddamn piano, PLEASE. (& Duke did-- edc didn't even have to ask.)

Clementine,

To each his own, taste is a personal thing, but if you are unable to appreciate Tommy Flanagan and Hank Jones, you have my sympathy.

Just the other day I received Tommy Flanagan's Solo Piano CD on Storyville (recorded in 1974, apparently Tommy's first solo piano CD).

I listened to all 72 minutes straight-through without napping once. It fits my definition of beautiful, swinging piano jazz.