Nero Problems

Dan Gould

Very suddenly I have weird things going on with my Nero burning program. Since I sometimes like to edit the audio before burning, and because it seems to take less time if the audio is on the hard drive than on a disc in the DVD drive, I usually use Goldwave to extract CDA files into WAV files. I did this yesterday in preparation for producing a compilation of Junior Parker tunes.

Well, out of the blue, Nero will no longer add these files when I try to set up the disc for burning. The error message it gives is:

One or more files could not be added to a compilation.

It may be possible, that the files can be added, if a dedicated plug-in is installed.

At first I thought that maybe the problem was my having saved the files with the full title instead of "track 1" "track 2" etc. But even the ones that I left with their cda file name gives me the same error message.

I've gone to the Nero website and while there are plug-ins for MP3 things and crap like that, I can find nothing that suggests a plug-in for this heretofore never seen "problem".

I am wondering if its a Goldwave problem - but the fact is that Nero sees the files as wav, it just refuses to include them as burn-ready files. In fact, I used the 'batch' option in Goldwave to encode these as mp3s - and Nero had no problem adding the MP3 files!

I thought maybe being a wav file was the problem - but the LP tracks that I dumped into the PC and edited are also recognized as proper music files for burning.

So what the heck is going on here??

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do? Its not a critical problem because Nero is allowing me to add files from a disc in the DVD drive, but its very disconcerting to have your CD burning program not recognize certain wav files as acceptable formats.

Any advice is appreciated!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are the wavs 16 bit and 44.1 kHz?

I was going to say "but of course" but I decided to grab another disc and extract with Goldwave - and what do I discover? Somehow I must have clicked the slider just a hair, and I extracted them at 24 bit.

You are the man, John! Thanks a lot even if I now feel like

lgMP0163.jpg

:g

Bernie Nierow--yes. He hates me! I love that!

Funny coincidence. Lately I got a big bunch of vinyl for free from a friend of a friend, among them there was a Peter Nero's record. I trashed most of them, including Nero's one. Now I know I was right.

As they say: The enemy of my enemy is my friend" or it was "The friend of my enemy is my enemy" or "The Enemy of my friend..."?

Nevermind, that record was unlistenable anyway. :g

are the wavs 16 bit and 44.1 kHz?

I was going to say "but of course" but I decided to grab another disc and extract with Goldwave - and what do I discover? Somehow I must have clicked the slider just a hair, and I extracted them at 24 bit.

You are the man, John! Thanks a lot even if I now feel like

lgMP0163.jpg

:g

aloc has mysteriously done that, too.

This thread is an excellent example of what is rotten about this BB.

Let me spell it out: A guy starts a thread about a technical problem, that's what theses BBs are for, right? Another guy makes a suggestion that proves to provide the answer, even better in terms of social service. Good place! Question solved, thread closed.

Yes, but no...

Then bitter old Chris A. has to step in with a "semi-joke" -- which is not really funny -- about how much of a prick the pianist is who happens to carry the same name as the computer programme. Following that, instead of calling him the asshole he is, his old chum has to put some little coal to the fire. Thankyouverymuch.

The appropriate reaction of a BB would be: WTF??!! But I don't read that here.

As it is, whenever the world looks for Peter Nero in their google inspired webworlds, they will very easily fall into this snakepit to find that the man had a quarrel with good ole bitter Chris and is a prick to boot. Real good advertisement for the Organissimo band of course.

This board has LOTS of search hits -- believe it or not -- and therewith huge google impact; search for the two names of the Nero guy and you find this thread among the top20 results already today. This post will probably make it edge closer to the top...

All that is written here has impact on the google world out there.

Of course freedom of expression is holy, but maybe not at all cost; the solution would be to get your own blog, Chris. It's easy to set up. There you can spout all your horrific stories that do not really fit into discussions here, even if you managed to squeeze them in on a loose and twisted sort of logic every now and then. Maybe you'll even reach high on the google-o-meter like this board does. Hell, you're not alone so maybe your peers will follow to create a blog-like wiki of how things really were and are.

See, the thing is that the "negativity", as it has been called, of this board is not about all the shite that goes on between members of this board calling each other names and whatnot. The real issue is the crap that gets slung to all those outside of this board. The inter-member shite is commonplace with BBs like this and has never been a problem, it's the outward going shite by a select few who have chosen this board to vent their frustrations that is the real problem.

At least for a forum connected to, paid for by, and maintained by a band.

So if the band name is disassociated from the forum that would help a lot. If some of the members would think twice before posting that would help lots more.

Maybe I am the asshole that doesn't understand properly and maybe I will follow brownie anyhow

-- like him I still have lots of discs to spin and appreciate.

This thread is an excellent example of what is rotten about this BB.

Let me spell it out: A guy starts a thread about a technical problem, that's what theses BBs are for, right? Another guy makes a suggestion that proves to provide the answer, even better in terms of social service. Good place! Question solved, thread closed.

Yes, but no...

I actually thought about deleting the thread but figured I should leave it out there in case anyone else ever makes the same stupid mistake and goes looking for help.

The rest of your comment, John, is something that I think people really should ponder for a while.

Nero, the software, is a new one on me--we don't have it in the Mac world. Oh. well. at least we got to see that Mr. (Mrs.?) Cow-with-a-u has an unfortunate problem--no sense of humor :)

Seriously, "bitter old Chris A" has to wonder just who the bitter one is and why name-calling was resorted to. If the anonymous poster really thinks there is something "rotten about this BB," I beg to differ and remind him/her (which is it?) of the wonderful thread that so splendidly proves him wrong. Let us hope this poster overcomes the problem that appears to surface in his post #9.

That said, on to more pleasant things (Dan's question having been answered to his satisfaction), I sent in the pledged check this afternoon. :D

Nero, the software, is a new one on me-

I assume you are not so dumb that you could not deduce the software bit from Dan's post. Which begs the question, WHY are you replying to a topic you know nothing about? Why not breathe and let it go? This really is the question if you care to bear with me. Why not just keep the negative shite to yourself? Even if it's meant to be funny -- is it? If you cannot keep it to yourself: get a blog.

Please explain to me how I am wrong in that this board (too) often provides a window for some members to vent negatively on people outside of this board (or even long dead).

If you wish please assume I am an old lady and show me due respect.

Please explain to me how I am wrong in that this board (too) often provides a window for some members to vent negatively on people outside of this board (or even long dead).

Would it make you feel better if CA had written something nice thing about Peter Nero? If you're going to run scared about what people may find when they google "Peter Nero" then you've pretty much defeated the purpose of free expression on the net. IMHO

Would it make you feel better if CA had written something nice thing about Peter Nero? If you're going to run scared about what people may find when they google "Peter Nero" then you've pretty much defeated the purpose of free expression on the net. IMHO

I would have felt much better if Chris had just shut the fuck up and written nothing about Mr. Nero as there was no need whatsoever accept possibly Chris's ego. It's all free expression of course, but it also falls down on the band advertised in the URL. If Chris wants free expression wrt his ego he should get a blog. He can even link his utterances there through any thread here, just not post it under the current band related URL.

For all of us, we should freely express ourselves if needed but not succomb to old scores and any other bills to be settled outside of this board. Freedom of expression should not mean freedom of insult. Apparantly to some here it does.

I don't know what your problem is couw (nor why you hide your identity, sex, age, etc. hmmmm.), but itsems to me that you are not so much upset by an off-topic post (those are common and can, admittedly, be annoying) as it is with me, personally. I have no idea who or what you are and I'm sure we have never met, but your venal personal attack seems rather strained and definitely uncalled for. You obviously went to great length to find out what many years ago transpired between me and Peter Nero--was it worth it? Do you really believe that I was trying to settle an old score? Gimme a break, lighten up and rejoice in the fact that Organissimo has just witnessed an extraordinary display of loyalty. I don't think my Nero post put a damper on that, but I also don't think your overblown outrage is becoming.

I am curious to find out how you figure that my post was ego driven, and I would really like to know what it is that gives you the impression that I am a bitter old man. Old? I'll grant you that 76 ain't no spring chicken, but bitter? Not in the least bit--in fact, I have much to be thankful for and bitterness was never in my nature.

Now, much as I would like to hear your answers to the above, I would much prefer that you let this non-issue go and allow us all to get back to celebrating a memorable Organissimo happening.

A few observations:

Chris, you like to pull out the "I don't know who or what you are" card whenever someone who doesn't use their full name as their handle calls you on something. But have you considered the fact that anyone who hasn't been here for a long time wouldn't necessarily know who "Christiern" is? It is equally 'anonymous' as "couw" (which happens to be a shortening of John's surname and rather similar to your use of your given name).

I think John is spot on that Chris likes to step in and make known his view of certain people - whether its germane to the discussion or not. He could have simply said "your thread make me think of Peter Nero but I guess that won't help you with your software problem" and leave it at that but instead you felt a need to deliver a zinger to someone who isn't even here and probably wouldn't care less. What's the point? You insist you aren't bitter yet John is hardly the first one to make the accusation, so maybe, just maybe, if you don't feel bitter about anyone you've known in the music industry, you do give off that vibe sometimes.

And I think that comes back to what I think should be a lesson from this week's events: maybe its time to try to make the board a little kinder and gentler (sorry in advance for bringing in a 20 year old political slogan). That doesn't mean a lack of candor in the exchange of ideas, but how about not taking potshots at someone when they aren't even involved in the point of discussion?

And I think that comes back to what I think should be a lesson from this week's events: maybe its time to try to make the board a little kinder and gentler (sorry in advance for bringing in a 20 year old political slogan).

That's what I was talking about, people posting polytix in non-political forums. It chases people away from the board.