Nero Problems

Dan Gould

please go back and read the posts that sparked this infighting. You will find that the name-calling aimed at a fellow poster began with couw.

in his initial post couw was wise enough to point out that:

"...the thing is that the "negativity", as it has been called, of this board is not about all the shite that goes on between members of this board calling each other names and whatnot. The real issue is the crap that gets slung to all those outside of this board. The inter-member shite is commonplace with BBs like this and has never been a problem, it's the outward going shite by a select few who have chosen this board to vent their frustrations that is the real problem."

you have yet to address that point. Instead, you have been hiding behind good weather messages of a reborn board and behind silly comparisons of online profiles. If any moderator wants me to tone down and take back my "bitter old Chris" comment, I will do so immediately. Heck, I will do that right now and apologise for hurting your feelings. See, this inter-member shite is easily solved indeed. But what will *you* do if you are asked to keep your personal vendettas towards non-members to yourself and not spill them on the board under the name of a band trying to make a living? If you can promise to keep that stuff to your memoires, I promise I will never again call you bitter old Chris.

Meanwhile, we reached #1 google status, yay <_<

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they find the ashes of his fiddle? Now that's news!

But if so, why isn't this in another subforum. Imean, a biurnt fiddle can't play, and that is a problem, but I'm not sure if unplayability of an instrument that no longer exists constitues the basis for an "audio" thread.

You guys are right - this is all too complicated and vexatious. Can't we all just talk about our favorite records instead?

Hi Dan, hope you're having a great day. Is your burner working now???

m~

Well, it always was "working", but now it has no problem with Goldwave extracted files, if I can remember to extract at 16 bit. Which is good cuz I've decided to re-burn my "Best of the Blues Volume 4" compilation. Just heard a kick-ass Shakey Jake track that I want to figure out how to slip in. Need to decide what to delete though.

thanks for asking, Mark. :)

Did they find the ashes of his fiddle? Now that's news!

But if so, why isn't this in another subforum. Imean, a biurnt fiddle can't play, and that is a problem, but I'm not sure if unplayability of an instrument that no longer exists constitues the basis for an "audio" thread.

You guys are right - this is all too complicated and vexatious. Can't we all just talk about our favorite records instead?

thanks Jim, this REALLY helps evading the issue.

ladidadidaah

Just doing my part to bring focus to an issue sorely in need of one.

Or not.

I'm not a fan of getting in line, remember...

Chris makes a throwaway line about a MOR pianist, Chuck tosses in an equally throwaway aside, and all of a sudden the board is being "ruined" yet again.

I just don't see it. Perhaps I am an insensitive jerk. Could be.

Or perhaps I just recognize that as part an parcel of the way that people interact and don't even bother blinking about it. Could be.

But if all it takes to "ruin" this board is something like a really offhand reference to Peter Nero/Bernie Nierow then I gotta think there's other issues afloat that have nothing to do with the board per se and everything to do with "personal preferences".

Why can't you just drop it? This entire bit of nonsense could have been avoided if you had simply voiced opposition to the off topic aspect of my post. Hey, it could have been avoided if you had shown even a slight sense of humor.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that my feelings can be hurt by someone who, quite literally, to me has never been more than a bunch of pixels arranged to spell out "couw." Apologies? For what--showing an ugly side of yourself? Pleeeeeze!

Too late for that, anyway. You seem to relish this sort of thing. I don't, so--having wasted far too much time on it, I am off this thread. If you have further complaints, I suggest that you PM me, which is what you should have done in the first place.

But if all it takes to "ruin" this board is something like a really offhand reference to Peter Nero/Bernie Nierow then I gotta think there's other issues afloat that have nothing to do with the board per se and everything to do with "personal preferences".

This is so small-minded I would never have expected such a comment from you. If you fail to see this as part of (and merely part of) the bigger issue then so be it. Maybe the differences run too deep and cannot be reconciled. Maybe you chose to see it this way, that would suck big time. Take it to PM if you wish.

All of the shit written here has to do with the board and with the positively huge google presence all of it may serve or hurt the band.

Why can't you just drop it? This entire bit of nonsense could have been avoided if you had simply voiced opposition to the off topic aspect of my post. Hey, it could have been avoided if you had shown even a slight sense of humor.

Heck, your post got the honour of being the little drop that did it. If you want to accuse me of lack of humour, the pic in my profile is much funnier than yours. Hah!

Don't kid yourself into thinking that my feelings can be hurt by someone who, quite literally, to me has never been more than a bunch of pixels arranged to spell out "couw." Apologies? For what--showing an ugly side of yourself? Pleeeeeze!

:rolleyes:

Too late for that, anyway. You seem to relish this sort of thing. I don't, so--having wasted far too much time on it, I am off this thread. If you have further complaints, I suggest that you PM me, which is what you should have done in the first place.

the thing is, Chris, that this seemed just another tidbit dropped in just another thread, but there have been so many tidbits in so many threads that it is becoming a bit of a burden to the board. You still have not addressed that point. Your concern is with this board if I am to believe your posts on the celebration thread. Maybe you should address not only the monetary aspects and be happy, but also address and help re-shape the content of this board.

I'm an admirer of Chris (both in his role in the world at large and on the board -- though we certainly don't agree about some things) and have never had anything but positive thoughts about Couw. But while I kind of understand what Couw means by the board's "positively huge google presence" and how "it may serve or hurt the band," I don't understand how a negative remark made here about Peter Nero could possibly hurt the band. Maybe I'm dense, but I just don't get it. Now if the board became known as a place where, say, fierce ugly remarks were often made about subjects that commonly give offense, I can see where the association via Google between those remarks and the place where they were made (and the assumption that the board's moderator has no problem with them) would/could cause some problems for Organissimo the band. But, again, Peter Nero? And are there examples of Organissimo the band being affected in its livelihood by things that have been posted here. Maybe so -- and, if so, perhaps Jim doesn't want to get into specifics -- but has that happened?

I'm an admirer of Chris (both in his role in the world at large and on the board -- though we certainly don't agree about some things) and have never had anything but positive thoughts about Couw. But while I kind of understand what Couw means by the board's "positively huge google presence" and how "it may serve or hurt the band," I don't understand how a negative remark made here about Peter Nero could possibly hurt the band. Maybe I'm dense, but I just don't get it. Now if the board became known as a place where, say, fierce ugly remarks were often made about subjects that commonly give offense, I can see where the association via Google between those remarks and the place where they were made (and the assumption that the board's moderator has no problem with them) would/could cause some problems for Organissimo the band. But, again, Peter Nero? And are there examples of Organissimo the band being affected in its livelihood by things that have been posted here. Maybe so -- and, if so, perhaps Jim doesn't want to get into specifics -- but has that happened?

I am asking myself the same questions.

There is proof of this board scaring off some industry folks. I am in no position to elabor, but it is so.

If it's true, and I have no reason to not believe you, maybe Jim should have had been more clear about the reason for closing down the forum, a part the economic side, the family and his career. Because if we, the forum, are hurting the Band, the donation's rally would be a tragic mistake, we bounded Jim to forum and in doing so we damaged his career. Shees. :huh: Paradoxical situation.

Edited by porcy62

How about using PM if you resent a remark instead of derailing even more the thread.

Maybe for those who take that seriously their threads and don't want any joking of any kind could add to the title (No humor is allowed in that thread or something along the lines)

I kind of understand why it would irritate people to see non sequitur comments but don't see the point to get worked over like that.

I think what you're missing is that this is something that has bothered John for a period of time, and Chris happened to give an example of it in this thread. A PM wouldn't do anything - Chris would laugh in his (anonymous) face. The point is to call people out so that maybe John's points get across to the board in general.

i think this is an important point, maybe couw could have waited two days longer to find a better example, but then we all know that better example would have turned up anyway, so why wait...

i think jim has reported on a gig they didn't get because of something we wrote...

And are there examples of Organissimo the band being affected in its livelihood by things that have been posted here. Maybe so -- and, if so, perhaps Jim doesn't want to get into specifics -- but has that happened?

Only once that I'm aware of - iirc, a British magazine refused to review our cd after someone on the board had written negative comments about said mag. We sort of shrugged that one off; for one thing, the comments were not wholly inaccurate.

Bums me out to see members of quality still getting upset with each other, especially so soon after such a grand show of board-wide generosity.

i think jim has reported on a gig they didn't get because of something we wrote...

If so, I can see why Jim probably wouldn't want to go into details. On the other hand, the details would matter I think, because I can't imagine (and, again, this may be my lack of imagination at work) that anything I'm aware of that's been said here over the years by anyone other than the few (?) people who've been kicked off for really bad behavior would offend anyone whom one would want to work for. I know, that sounds really arrogant or worse -- it wasn't my gig that was lost. But, practically, if it was just the fact that the band was associated with a place of the same name where relatively free speech prevailed, wouldn't such a club owner be pretty likely to find another reason or two to make the band's life miserable -- before, during, or after the gig? Now if it was about something more specific -- but what would/could that have been? Oh, wait -- what am I thinking? Was it Joe Segal? That I can understand, because Joe (God bless him for much) has said things to my face that made it clear where he stands on this and related topics.

I am asking myself the same questions.

As are a lot of us...

I'm just trying to get a handle on the irritant here. Is it "thread drift"? Well, that's always been one fo the distinguishing features here, and a major "love point" for me personally. Is it how somebody will interrupt a lovefest for a certain artist with negative firsthand recollections that take some of the rosecolor off the glasses? Well, ok, I can kinda see how that might be upsetting to people who want their heroes to be HEROES, but otoh, reality is what it is, and I for one don't see why your heroes can't also be assholes and/or otherwise failed human beings. Now, if it's a combination of those two things, well, I can kinda see that just a little more, but only just a little.

I can understand all this being a bit of a personal irritant, but hell, LTB has some habits that I'd rather she not have. But it's who she is, and they're all things that are such that wahtever it would take to get her to change them would involve altering her natural essence, and I don't even want to do that. Not all habits are like that, but those are.

So really, I just don't get why it's "ruining" the board. I really don't.

And are there examples of Organissimo the band being affected in its livelihood by things that have been posted here. Maybe so -- and, if so, perhaps Jim doesn't want to get into specifics -- but has that happened?

Only once that I'm aware of - iirc, a British magazine refused to review our cd after someone on the board had written negative comments about said mag. We sort of shrugged that one off; for one thing, the comments were not wholly inaccurate.

So, you guys aren't Gig Whores who are willing to kiss any kind of ass to get any kind of gig?

I knew you was my type of peoples!

I find it extremely lame that the host of a forum would get punished for what one of the members of that board are writing on the board.

Do you stop buying the newspaper because the letters to the editor have opinions that differ from yours.

Maybe you should have a warning that says the opinions written on this board do not reflect in any shape or form those by the Organissimo band.

Bums me out to see members of quality still getting upset with each other, especially so soon after such a grand show of board-wide generosity.

Joe, this seems a very serious issue, IMO, and complex too. I mean that it has to be explained and explorated deeply, because if the liberty, free speech, whatever you want to call it, in the Forum, collides with your careers, as they say: Houston, we got a problem.

A problem that can't be solved with a more politeness and some good feelings toward Bernie Nierow/Nero. If the music industry is sensitive of what are going on the forum up to a level of refusing a review or a gig, well... :blink:

Over the 40 years I've had my company we've had about 4 different distributors on the UK. None of them sold more than 50 of any title. Who would want to "kill free speech" to gain that? Not saying 50 sales are nothing, but weigh the consequences vs self respect.

I hate this shit when folks are afraid to say what they mean to "protect" commerce. I have undoubtedly lost sales for my uncensored comments here but I accept that and feel it's "their" problem and they lose by not owning some great music.

If I thought many posters to any thread were "holding back" to be "polite" I probably wouldn't be around long.

Over the 40 years I've had my company we've had about 4 different distributors on the UK. None of them sold more than 50 of any title. Who would want to "kill free speech" to gain that? Not saying 50 sales are nothing, but weigh the consequences vs self respect.

I hate this shit when folks are afraid to say what they mean to "protect" commerce. I have undoubtedly lost sales for my uncensored comments here but I accept that and feel it's "their" problem and they lose by not owning some great music.

If I thought many posters to any thread were "holding back" to be "polite" I probably wouldn't be around long.

In theory I fully agree with you, and I know how thought is business in entertainment. FWIW I sold my shares in a company I owned at 25% because I had to put food on the table, but mostly because I didn't agree with the other trustees. I hidden myself in a very specific role: as film editor I have a reputation, I've got a Ph.D. in History of Cinema, that it's help...and I am an handsome and funny 45 y/o male, so I am pretty hip on the job market among female directors. (let me allowed some narcisism) Sure I made enemies along my careers, I refuse underpayed job and I can be pretty rude with young (and old) incompetent directors.

But I never had a Blog or a Forum to promote my job, so I never thought about being harmed by the posts people could do in it.

I think it's totally dumb to hold responsable the Band for what we post on the forum, but it seems that some pricks cares, thanks again Chris for the word,

About the forum admittely I understimates the thing: at the end jazz business is not different to any other show business, even worst: the cake is smaller then TV broadcasting so the struggling is even harder.

Personally I admire you and Chris for holding the line and the coherence.

Though I feel ill at easy because I am not betting my ass, it's Jim's one.

Though I feel ill at easy because I am not betting my ass, it's Jim's one.

I have unbounded respect for Jim and if he tells me to stop, I will go away out of respect to him and his work.

I wouldn't expect nothing different from you. You're one the guys who makes this place worthing, though I hate you attitude against audiophiles ;):)