Nero Problems

Dan Gould

Perhaps the bigger lesson here is to allow people to be who they are. Chris is Chris. Dan is Dan. Couw is Couw. At our ages, we don't reform too well, ok?

The thing to learn here is tolerance for people. We are who we are. It's a broad world. Our forum is open to people of all personalities. Learn to get along.

Edited by connoisseur series500

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the bigger lesson here is to allow people to be who they are. Chris is Chris. Dan is Dan. Couw is Couw. At our ages, we don't reform too well, ok?

The thing to learn here is tolerance for people. We are who we are. It's a broad world. Our forum is open to people of all personalities. Learn to get along.

Conn = thread killer :cool:

Chris, you like to pull out the "I don't know who or what you are" card whenever someone who doesn't use their full name as their handle calls you on something. But have you considered the fact that anyone who hasn't been here for a long time wouldn't necessarily know who "Christiern" is? It is equally 'anonymous' as "couw" (which happens to be a shortening of John's surname and rather similar to your use of your given name).

Really, Dan? Equally anonymous?

I was going to leave this thread, but your bogus argument begs for a correction.

cow.jpgChris.jpg

Now does it sink in why I don't know couw's gender or anything else about him/her? Not that I care, this poster has his or her own reasons for disliking me, and anonymous hatred has never bothered me. If you are going to call people names, I think your chances of being taken seriously are greater if you identify yourself. I have nothing to hide, hence I post my name and even my picture. My handle here, Christiern, is my actual first name, which I used because Chris A was already taken (by me, as it turned out). Now, can we stop this childish idiocy, or are you going to continue going down (and I do mean down) the couw path?

Didn't couw post a pic of himself (with a record sleeve on his head, IIRC) a while back? Is it on the "show us yer face" thread? Just wondering.....

Edit: I guess that could have been fake, but I tend to trust (perhaps foolishly) that people are being truthful here. Either way, I see on your profiles you both have 5 star ratings, and that's good enough for me! :)

Edited by Free For All

No need to "pull a Hoffman" here and compare profiles. I've been here for about 4 years. I know what sort of beers couw prefers, I know something about the music he likes, and I know the guy has a great sense of humor. Like Free For All stated, I've seen a picture posted too. To act like this is some stranger is out of line. Having also hung around I happen to know to Christiern = Chris Albertson. But for someone else that takes an extra click. No need to get in a huff about the tired old debate of handles vs. full name, some of us have damn good reasons not to use our names. Just go ahead ditch the nickname and use your full name as a handle if you're going to pull that jazz.

I like both of you a lot. I tend to favor humor. I tend to favor free expression. But in case you haven't noticed, European posters are dropping like flies, if that saying translates across the Atlantic. Maybe couw has a point. I like piss & vinegar as much as anybody, but in the context of this thread, a technical help thread at that, maybe this story was better saved for your memoirs, or hell, start a new thread. I know this will sound touchy too, but that's where we're at now. And couw deserves way more respect.

Edited by Quincy

Just dropping in shortly, not much time for the stoopid internet today...

I generally agree with couw, I fully agree.

It's that ego-driven stuff that makes the board such a drag again and again (that has been going on for months, I guess for approximately 2 years even, it just gets worse, it's a slow development). It's not about free speech, your highest deity on the other side of the pond (yup yup, I won't make any political statements here now, but there'd be plenty when even the supreme court went in a totally wrong direction to "guarantee" - which I guess means "safe" - what they/some of you here think "free speech" is...) - anyway, if we're all effin grown-ups, as some think, please also revert to old-fashioned virtues like decency and politeness now and then, not just to your goddam free speech! It gets so pathetic every once in a while!

As for "couw" being a phantom, it's just plain ridiculous what you state there, Chris. Couw used to have a profile with much more info before Allen Lowe started trolling him and other displeasant things about the board got worse. Couw is no phantom, many of us know his name (you know it, too, it has been posted in this very thread also), many know where he lives, what he does, how many kids he has etc. etc.

By the way, just to prevent you from attacking me as a phantom: the very same applies to me. I went "anonymous" after the dreadful che thing (where most yanks thought it was just about "free speech", too, I assume? at least a little support from overseas took a looooooooong time coming, I can assure you, and it was painful). If you want to get to know us, interact with us, too, not just with yourself, the other similarly hyped-up semi-Gods of this board, or your own ego... you can talk to us normal useless, unknowing ignorant posters, too, if you want, it's quite easy in fact, even we have found out how to do it. (Yes, free speech and class system, partly self-imposed by other awe-struck dumbos like me, that seems to be no opposition then... almost british, I presume... good anglo-saxon traditions living on...)

So now then, fire away, drive us all away by your rude (no, not witty very often, alas, and not funny at all) behaviour and make the board an all american ego display if you like...

A last note: too bad it's just you who posted in here... might get a worng impression, you could even stylize yourself to some kind of martyr, but let me assure you, you're in pretty good company in your ego-country... there are others there and I guess everyone knows whom I'm talking of, more or less... doesn't matter anyway if no one sees it but a few of us old-fashioned retarted yurpeeans who couldn't swim well enough to make it over the pond.

Now fire away - language I've used may be a bit too harsh here and there (remember, english is a foreign language to some of us! We could gladly continue in German if you'd prefer - and no, I'm no nazi, I'm swiss, I just live from stolen gold that my grandfather... etc) - anyway I do think I generally managed to express what are actually my thoughts on this point.

All I can say is wow. I think an awful lot of us have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and a lot of pent-up frustrations. I guess it was last year about this time we had the same problem. Personally, I do think couw was out of line or at least crossed the line when he wrote "good ole bitter Chris." Ultimately it is Jim's call, but I've always liked the libertarian approach to this board and yes, if push comes to shove, I do hold free speech as more important than civility.

All I can say is wow. I think an awful lot of us have SAD (seasonal affective disorder) and a lot of pent-up frustrations. I guess it was last year about this time we had the same problem. Personally, I do think couw was out of line or at least crossed the line when he wrote "good ole bitter Chris." Ultimately it is Jim's call, but I've always liked the libertarian approach to this board and yes, if push comes to shove, I do hold free speech as more important than civility.

I have no kinds of disorders, neither seasonal nor others, I assure you. The frustrations of some posters seem to just sort of take over the board in spirit, more and more, and "good ole bitter Chris" is part of those posters in our perception.

Couw was not out of line, as he's not reacting to this particular post of Chris', not even to Chris alone, but to a general development that is to our utmost dislike. Now you can say "take it or leave it", but maybe it's still worth a thought why more and more of the europeans are leaving (and add Chaney to that crowd, too, please).

Anyway, in my opinion it is decisively *not* about free speech vs. civility. This is not a necessary opposition, maybe not even a valid one, putting it up so generally. I am very much for free discourse about anything anyone wants to talk about, but you can still chose to do that in a civilised manner and tone (if you can't maybe that's is your own issue then... might be a good idea to see a shrink then, or take some deep breaths and relax and play some stoopid music...)

And don't get me wrong, I have been grateful and have said thanks also on various occasions where Chris shared insights, stories etc from his professional involvement with music. I'm a sucker for all of that, being way too young (born 1979 in case it matters - I think my b-day is still in my profile anyway), but I'm getting so tired of these on-going derailed threads where one of the boards semi-gods boosts and inflates his ego, with many clapping and cheering bystanders... (ooh, sure, some cheerleaders would be nice, too!) :ph34r:

but I'm getting so tired of these on-going derailed threads where one of the boards semi-gods boosts and inflates his ego, with many clapping and cheering bystanders... (ooh, sure, some cheerleaders would be nice, too!) :ph34r:

So WTF does this have to do with Dan's Nero software problems? Eh?

but I'm getting so tired of these on-going derailed threads where one of the boards semi-gods boosts and inflates his ego, with many clapping and cheering bystanders... (ooh, sure, some cheerleaders would be nice, too!) :ph34r:

c'mon, you can do better than that!

I recommend Burrrn anyway, burning is much easier ever since I deleted Nero off my HD!

No need to "pull a Hoffman" here and compare profiles. I've been here for about 4 years. I know what sort of beers couw prefers, I know something about the music he likes, and I know the guy has a great sense of humor. Like Free For All stated, I've seen a picture posted too. To act like this is some stranger is out of line. Having also hung around I happen to know to Christiern = Chris Albertson. But for someone else that takes an extra click. No need to get in a huff about the tired old debate of handles vs. full name, some of us have damn good reasons not to use our names. Just go ahead ditch the nickname and use your full name as a handle if you're going to pull that jazz.

I like both of you a lot. I tend to favor humor. I tend to favor free expression. But in case you haven't noticed, European posters are dropping like flies, if that saying translates across the Atlantic. Maybe couw has a point. I like piss & vinegar as much as anybody, but in the context of this thread, a technical help thread at that, maybe this story was better saved for your memoirs, or hell, start a new thread. I know this will sound touchy too, but that's where we're at now. And couw deserves way more respect.

:tup

c'mon, you can do better than that!

insert witty remark here.

I recommend Burrrn anyway, burning is much easier ever since I deleted Nero off my HD!

Do I have to pay for Burrrn? Where do I get it? I started using Nero on my new machine, and although I'm new to it, I'm not too impressed.

Burrn is free, it's small, it's simple, it decodes FLAC and MP3 by its own (Nero can do that, too, if you're lucky enough to find the right codec... I wasn't, with the latest version I had, but that screwed up 1 of 4 or 5 CDRs in the end, so it was time to move on).

You can find it here:

http://www.burrrn.net/

There's also ImgBurn for DVDs (from the DVD Decrypter family of programmes):

http://www.imgburn.com/

Both highly recommended!

The only thing Nero would do and Burrrn won't is burn 81 or 82 minute CDRs (onto normal blanks, that is).

So now then, fire away, drive us all away by your rude (no, not witty very often, alas, and not funny at all) behaviour and make the board an all american ego display if you like...

A last note: too bad it's just you who posted in here... might get a worng impression, you could even stylize yourself to some kind of martyr, but let me assure you, you're in pretty good company in your ego-country... there are others there and I guess everyone knows whom I'm talking of, more or less... doesn't matter anyway if no one sees it but a few of us old-fashioned retarted yurpeeans who couldn't swim well enough to make it over the pond.

Now fire away - language I've used may be a bit too harsh here and there (remember, english is a foreign language to some of us! We could gladly continue in German if you'd prefer - and no, I'm no nazi, I'm swiss, I just live from stolen gold that my grandfather... etc) - anyway I do think I generally managed to express what are actually my thoughts on this point.

whoah! Someone had as many drinks as I had when posting! :excited:

:lol:

How about using PM if you resent a remark instead of derailing even more the thread.

Maybe for those who take that seriously their threads and don't want any joking of any kind could add to the title (No humor is allowed in that thread or something along the lines)

I kind of understand why it would irritate people to see non sequitur comments but don't see the point to get worked over like that.

Burrn is free, it's small, it's simple, it decodes FLAC and MP3 by its own (Nero can do that, too, if you're lucky enough to find the right codec... I wasn't, with the latest version I had, but that screwed up 1 of 4 or 5 CDRs in the end, so it was time to move on).

My Nero version has no problem with FLAC files, and no codec was required. In fact, in the past I've taken dime concerts, converted them to wav, done any necessary edits, and then burned. Now I am planning to take the flac files and go straight to Nero, use the "normalize" option to boost the signal, and get the damn things burned and off my hard drive.

How about using PM if you resent a remark instead of derailing even more the thread.

Maybe for those who take that seriously their threads and don't want any joking of any kind could add to the title (No humor is allowed in that thread or something along the lines)

I kind of understand why it would irritate people to see non sequitur comments but don't see the point to get worked over like that.

I think what you're missing is that this is something that has bothered John for a period of time, and Chris happened to give an example of it in this thread. A PM wouldn't do anything - Chris would laugh in his (anonymous) face. The point is to call people out so that maybe John's points get across to the board in general.

I'm sure he realizes its pissing into the wind, but its not something that could possibly be solved by a PM, either.

Dan, normalizing function isn't recommended... if you want to correct the volume, do via WAV-files. I think normalizing the files freaks up the quality somehow (don't ask me to explain, I've had more knowledgeable guys explain that to me, and I believe them...)

I had an older version of Nero (4, I think) that worked great, with FLAC and everything, but when I got the computer set up anew, that version (and version 5 also) wouldn't recognize my drive/burner, so I had the free version of Nero 7 and that's when all the problems began...

Amazing. Well, I recommend Ubu Couw and Dan get it all out in the course of this thread, so that civility can be restored. Apropos civility, Ubu, please go back and read the posts that sparked this infighting. You will find that the name-calling aimed at a fellow poster began with couw. Yes, "couw" is a handle with which I am familiar, but that's all I know about this poster--I guess I was never interested in much of what he has had to say, so I never looked up his profile when it was there. The fact is that there was no profile when I finally found a reason to check.

As I have had to point out before, I have no problem with handles and I understand full well why some posters feel a need to hide behind them. It when they launch personal attacks from behind their handles that I find anonymity to be abused. I also don't buy the European speak-no-good-English-have-different-mentality excuse, which has been hinted at here. I came here from Europe myself and I did not undergo an Americanization treatment--I learned to adapt, but not at the sacrifice of what was already there. And as for the language and use of same, even when I landed here, in 1957, I did not have a problem expressing myself in English, even though I had to drop out of school at age 15. Oh, sorry, I must be on one of my dreadful, shameful ego trips. Mea culpa.

I ask, once again, that this fabricated contrarian theme be laid to rest so that we may all properly enjoy O's rebirth. Those who deem this to be a "rotten" board populated by bitter old (and young) egotists can surely find a place that meets their requirements. I doubt, however, if they will find one that contains as many interesting, knowledgeable, and helpful posters, so my advice to them is that they engage in a bit of self-examination, shelve their animosities, and weigh the positive qualities of the Big O against what is out there.

Just one last post here - I basically agree with what you say, Chris. The language thing though still is there. At least for me it is. I don't speak *any* english in real life, unless on pretty rare occasions (probably 10 minutes per month) - and that does make a big difference. I am not at home at all in english, I may be more or less fluent, but my vocabulary is limited and my grasp of the language is far from perfect. That leads to unease if difficult things are to be discussed (such as all this stuff about this board). You can't just ignore that, it's not a hard fact or anything, but it's how I feel about it and you dan't discuss that away.

Anyway, my wish would just be for more positive contributions, more stories and good-spirited stuff, and less of the "xx is a prick" things that have been around a bit too often, in my (and couw's, and a couple of others') opinion. That's all for now.

Just checking in on this thread for the first time. Wow! The post that started it all was pretty mild in my view. Chris Albertson once had a disagreement with Peter Nero. Holy Smokes! What earth-shaking, board-busting stuff! I have to say that as much as I disagree with Chris' views on several important issues, I do enjoy his postings. And I'm always happy when I open a CD and find that he's the author of the liner notes. You can always count on well-written, well-informed commentary on the music.