British jazz book back in print!

Ian Carr's seminal work on British jazz of the 1960s and 1970s 'Music Outside' is published on 1 January, however, if you are really keen to get it sooner, you can order it now directly from: Northway Publications, 39 Tytherton Road London N19 4PZ (UK), Price £15.99 inc P+P, cheques need to be in sterling on UK bank accounts and made payable to 'Northway Publications'. I know for a fact that the publishers have just received stocks of the book from the printers. I should say that whilst I edit the Ian Carr and Nucleus website I have no connection with Northway Publications. However I could add here that having just received my copy of this second edtion of a book that has been out of print for 35 years, Northway certainly has done an excellent job on what is effectively a vade mecum of British jazz of that period. There is also an excellent discography which was also included in the original edition, first published in 1973. Anyone interested in British jazz will want to read this book which interestingly has been published in hardback rather than paperback. It can also be pre-ordered now via Amazon.

MusicOutside.jpg

Edited by RogerF

Thanks, Roger. My cheque will be in the mail to these guys this weekend. As mentioned on the AAJ board, I'm getting sick of borrowing the old beat-up copy of this one from the library. Especially as I was the first one to loan this particular copy back in 1975. :D

Incidentally - is it a straight 'clone' of the original but with Roger Cotterel update to the preface?

Edited by sidewinder

Thanks, Roger. My cheque will be in the mail to these guys this weekend. As mentioned on the AAJ board, I'm getting sick of borrowing the old beat-up copy of this one from the library. Especially as I was the first one to loan this particular copy back in 1975. :D

Incidentally - is it a straight 'clone' of the original but with Roger Cotterel update to the preface?

Hi Sidewinder

Yes it's a straight clone of the original but with an extra chapter entitled 'Postscript' by Roger Cotterell which I have to say is an excellent addition because he manages to succinctly update the book and adds a contemporary perspective to it. Otherwise it's unchanged other than as he calls it the correction of a few 'minor errors'. So it's basically the same text but with different photos and an update. Really very good and it's fantastic that it's in hardback because I can't see many of these on my shelf certainly not connected with British jazz or even jazz for that matter. A really great book by an inspired and inspiring writer.

Edited by RogerF

My copy has arrived - Northway have done a really good job. It's slightly smaller than the original version I think and without the cover sleeve but I'm not complaining. The Roger Cotterrell postscript is interesting (with updates on what subsequently happened over the years to the various key names in the text, additional photos plus comments which place the significance of their music within the broader scope of Brit/European jazz to the present time) and the discography itself is at least worth the price of admission. Great stuff ! :tup

Edited by sidewinder