Coltrane Box at Best Buy

Ragu

For what it's worth, here's the AMG review with comments on the sound quality:

As part of its Originals series, the Verve Music Group has begun reissuing — at a budget price — the Impulse! recordings of John Coltrane in box set form, as well as single-disc titles. This first volume focuses on some seminal entries from 1961 and 1962. In chronological order they are Africa/Brass, Live at the Village Vanguard, Coltrane, Duke Ellington & John Coltrane, and Ballads. Keep in mind that these are newly remastered — yet again (and one suspects they are the Japanese remasters issued here for the first time) —

If the reviewer of this set had bothered to look at the credits printed under the clear cd tray he would have seen who "mastered [ie. remastered]" these cds. These are not Japanese remasters. I think these are really good remasters. In fact all the cds in the Originals series that I have bought have been excellent.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone on the Steve Hoffman site passed on the tip that Best Buy has the Coltrane Box The Impulse Albums Vol.1 for $11.99. According to the website none of my local stores had it, but I ordered it from the website and even with shipping and tax it came to under $15. I know there are reservations about this set, but at this price...

so what are the reservations about this set?

JB

Someone on the Steve Hoffman site passed on the tip that Best Buy has the Coltrane Box The Impulse Albums Vol.1 for $11.99. According to the website none of my local stores had it, but I ordered it from the website and even with shipping and tax it came to under $15. I know there are reservations about this set, but at this price...

JB

sorry, I hadn't read the rest of the threat.

but how is this really the best sound quality till now?

JB

JB

JB

John, everyone has a different idea of what "the best sound quality" is.

I will say that these sound very very good. I put them up there with the K2 Digital Impulse cds from Japan as my favorite sounding versions. There are many reasons why these may sound so good. Better source tapes. . . more careful engineering of the remastering process. . . improved mastering equipment. . . .Whatever the reasons, it seems to me that great care was taken to get a great sounding result and it has paid off.

JB

One of the reservations is that the CDs in this box set are as they were originally released. Since then, these same CDs have been re-released and several have added bonus tracks and alternate takes and all the titles in the box are still readily available. Many people look at it as, "Why settle for less when you can have more?" and "Why re-package and sell what's still readily available?" (in what they often see as a better form)

Edited by mikelz777

• 2 weeks later...

JB

JB

I will say that these sound very very good. I put them up there with the K2 Digital Impulse cds from Japan as my favorite sounding versions. There are many reasons why these may sound so good. Better source tapes. . . more careful engineering of the remastering process. . . improved mastering equipment. . . .Whatever the reasons, it seems to me that great care was taken to get a great sounding result and it has paid off.

thanks jazzbo!

what about comparing the sound quality to the expanded versions of "Ballads" and "AFRICA/BRASS" ??

JB

JB

JB

thanks jazzbo!

what about comparing the sound quality to the expanded versions of "Ballads" and "AFRICA/BRASS" ??

JB

John,

I prefer the sound of the new single disc version of Africa Brass to the Impulse two cd set, but of course there is far less material.

As for the "Ballads" Deluxe version. .. . People who don't like RVG remastering will prefer the new one. I like them both (and of course the two cd set has more material).

• 1 month later...

JB

JB

thanks jazzbo!

JB

John,

I prefer the sound of the new single disc version of Africa Brass to the Impulse two cd set, but of course there is far less material.

As for the "Ballads" Deluxe version. .. . People who don't like RVG remastering will prefer the new one. I like them both (and of course the two cd set has more material).

thanks for the info, jazzbo!

JB