Top 5 all time favorites

randyhersom

Debussy - Prelude apres midi d' un faune - I actually listen to Froment on the Vox Box, but I'm sure there's better

Nielsen 5th Symphony - either Horenstein or Leaper is fine by me

Beethoven Hammerklavier sonata - Schnabel - pinnacle of passionate music making

Debussy - Violin Sonata - Wish I had Ion Voicou on CD, making do with the Naxos (Dong Suk Kang?)

Schubert C Major String Quintet d 960 - Melos & Rostropovich

Bruckner - 9th Symphony - Scherzo - I have Shuricht (sp?) , others are more highly recommended by reviewers

Sibelius - 7th Symphony - Karajan

Shostakovich - String Quartet #8 - I have Eder, others are more highly recommended by reviewers

Ravel - Le Tombeau de Couperin - The Vox boxes of piano and orchestral music are excellent, and this is in both.

Gorecki - Symphony #3 - I have the Naxos and like it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alban Berg - Wozzek

Richard Strauss - Salome

Maurice Ravel - String Quartet and Claude Debussy - String Quartet (i have them on one CD, the only classical cd that gets rgular play overhere)

Johannes Brahms - Clarinet Sonatas

Cesar Franck - Violin Sonata

and sentimental favorite

Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy Violin Concerto

Edited by Niko

it depends on the minute, the day, the year, the season, the mood, one's circumstances, one's age, even the time of day.

today i bow :rolleyes: toward(in no particular order):

the bartok string quartets

julliard 60's recording.

shostakovich 8th string quartet

borodin quartet

ives 4th symphony

stokowski

mahler 3rd symphony

bruno walter

bartok concert for orchestra

reiner-chicago

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I sold all but one of my classical records in the early seventies because I knew I couldn't afford classical music as well as all the other stuff I wanted to buy. But my favourites were (and actually remain)

Debussy - Chansons de Bilitis - Vera Zorina - Columbia (that's the one I kept because I went to the British premiere)

Debussy/Ravel - String quartets - The Vlach Quartet - Supraphon

Daniel-Lesur - Symphonie de danses - Edouard Lindenberg - Erato

Elgar - The dream of Gerontius - Sir John Barbirolli - HMV

Delius - Songs of sunset - Janet Baker, John Shirley-Quirk, cond Charles Groves - HMV

Ives - Symphony #4 - Leopold Stokowski - Columbia

Liszt - Via crucis - Francis Jackson (on organ) - Saga

Bloch - Violin concerto - Yehudi Menuhin - HMV

Satie - Piano music - Aldo Ciccolili - HMV

Rodrigo - Guitar concerto - Narciso Yepes - Zafiro

Alkan - Concerto for solo piano - Ron Smith - HMV

and a recital

Alfred Deller - Duets for countertenors - Vanguard

I'm not sorry I got rid of those albums - I can still think of them.

MG

One possibility:

1) Wagner - Tristan und Isolde: Furtwangler edition on EMI

2) Donizetti - Lucia di Lammermoor (live Von Karajan version from 55 with Callas)

3) Mahler - 9th symphony (Bernstein 80s edition)

4) Chopin - Nocturns (Rubinstein)

5) Wagner - Parsifal (Knapperbusch edition on Phillips)

6) Bach: Goldberg Variations (Glenn Gould)

Edited by John L

Schumann---Piano Quintet Op. 44

Mozart---last two string quintets, K. 593 and 614; 40th symphony

Bartok---Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta; the String Quartets

Reich---Music for 18 Musicians

Beethoven---3rd and 7th symphonies

Even cheating like mad, five choices ain't much.

Addendum:

Haydn---String Quartets, all.

Conlon Nancarrow---Studies for Player Piano

Mahler 'Das Lied Von Der Erde' (Kathleen Ferrier/Bruno Walter)

Purcell 'Music for a While ( Alfred Deller)

Mozart 'Don Giovanni' (Giulini)

Mozart 'Concerto for Clarinet' (Jack Brymer/Sir Thomas Beecham)

Varese 'Arcana/Amériques/Ionisations, etc. (Pierre Boulez)

Didn't really expect to see anyone else mentioning Deller :)

MG

One thing that nearly got a mention in my list was two 3-lp collections or Rennaisance music from David Munrow, The Art of Courtly Love and The Art of The Netherlands. I particularly remember an instrumental Estampie and a vocal piece A l'Arme (to arms). Have these emerged on CD? The mention of Deller brought them to mind.

Edited by randyhersom

One thing that nearly got a mention in my list was two 3-lp collections or Rennaisance music from David Munrow, The Art of Courtly Love and The Art of The Rennaisance. I particularly remember an instrumental Estampie and a vocal piece A l'Arme (to arms). Have these emerged on CD? The mention of Deller brought them to mind.

This one is still around:

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Courtly-Love-Mun...3168&sr=1-5

and holds up very well, though more recent performances of some of these works seem more specific (more relaxed or intense, as the case may be

-- Munrow and friends might have been sight-reading at times). I was greatly enlightened by and enjoyed this set way back when -- for one thing, it led me to draw a (fairly shrewd IMO) comparison between the music of Roscoe Mitchell (specifically "L-R-G") and that of such 14 Century avant gardists as Grimace and Solage. I still wonder what Roscoe would have made of Solage's "Fumeux fume," which is the most Roscoe-like piece of non-Roscoe music I know.

Munrow's version (an excerpt probably) of that Solage piece can be listened to by clicking on the link in my prior post and taking one further step. Still sounds fine to me.

Thanks for that link, I'll get that within the next couple months. Also that let me know that my title for the other 3LP set was incorrect, it's Art of the Netherlands, not Art of the Rennaisance.

One thing that nearly got a mention in my list was two 3-lp collections or Rennaisance music from David Munrow, The Art of Courtly Love and The Art of The Rennaisance. I particularly remember an instrumental Estampie and a vocal piece A l'Arme (to arms). Have these emerged on CD? The mention of Deller brought them to mind.

and holds up very well, though more recent performances of some of these works seem more specific (more relaxed or intense, as the case may be

-- Munrow and friends might have been sight-reading at times). I was greatly enlightened by and enjoyed this set way back when -- for one thing, it led me to draw a (fairly shrewd IMO) comparison between the music of Roscoe Mitchell (specifically "L-R-G") and that of such 14 Century avant gardists as Grimace and Solage. I still wonder what Roscoe would have made of Solage's "Fumeux fume," which is the most Roscoe-like piece of non-Roscoe music I know.

Courtly Love---Is that when you use a mattress :rolleyes:

Courtly Love---Is that when you use a mattress :rolleyes:

Don't be silly---it's when you make love in a courtyard.

I haven't heard enough (but I'm working on it), so I'll just offer one - Jordi Savall's La Folia on Alia Vox. Previously I never associated "authentic instruments" with "happy feet," but I do with this disc.

I once saw Savall or another of these groups perform Spanish music with a couple of dancers - terrific!

• 2 years later...

Today's choices (tomorrow's might be different):

Bach - Cello Suites

Mozart - Clarinet Quintet

Messiaen - Quartet for the End of Time

Grainger - Lincolnshire Posy

Stockhausen - Hymnen

My fourth selection might have some of you scratching your head - Lincolnshire Posy is arguably the greatest piece ever written for concert band. When it was written in 1937, some conductors considered several of the movements unplayable due to their rhythmic complexity.

On another day, I might include some Beethoven, Stravinsky, Ives, or Webern.