Top 5 all time favorites

randyhersom

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lesser-known set of Beethoven Violin Sonatas that's actually my overall favorite:

51BIXYtRHFL._SY300_.jpg

I can't comment as much on the Bach sonatas from this set, because I keep spinning the Beethoven. Recommended!

Another version I listen to, and am fond of for different reasons, is:

51G61J4UipL._SX300_.jpg

I would, however, not recommend this set to those who don't care for fortepiano. It's an "historically informed performance," and the intonation of the 1684 violin is often variable. I still like it as something of an equivalent to what listeners of the day might have heard.

I also have a soft spot for this XRCD (great sound, btw):

CPHI_4428837__37228__01152009115412-6082

I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Cello-Sonatas-1-5-Beethoven/dp/B000007NKE

It's OOP and fairly pricey used. Can't vouch for the sound quality versus the EMI because I haven't heard the latter.

That set is insanely expensive, especially for a public-domain release.

I think that's mainly because its OOP and (allegedly) scarce. My copy back in the day was fairly cheap IIRC.

A tentative top five, in no particular order:

Tauno Hannikainen's Sibelius Second (EMI).

Mozart Sinfonia Concertane for Violin and Viola, Drurian/Skernick/Szell (Columbia)
Mozart Clarinet Concerto, Karl Leister/Karajan (EMI) -- not for Herbie (though he's on goodish behavior here) but for Leister; his between-the-cracks phrasing (if that's the way to put it) is sublime.
Something by Horenstein, but there's too much to sort out.
Something by Vlado Perlmutter, but there's too much to sort out.
Interesting that IIRC three of those five -- Hannikainen, Horenstein, and Perlemuter -- came to me by way of Chuck.

• 1 year later...

Mozart Sinfonia Concertane for Violin and Viola, Drurian/Skernick/Szell (Columbia)
Mozart Clarinet Concerto, Karl Leister/Karajan (EMI) -- not for Herbie (though he's on goodish behavior here) but for Leister; his between-the-cracks phrasing (if that's the way to put it) is sublime.
Interesting that IIRC three of those five -- Hannikainen, Horenstein, and Perlemuter -- came to me by way of Chuck.

It is kind of scary my recommendations carried this much weight with you, tho I am pleased.

Dvorak - New World Symphony - Horenstein (Chuck also led me to Horenstein)

Debussy - Preludes, Sonatas, Images, Nocturnes, and and and

Bartok - 3d Piano Concerto

Sibelius - Tapiola

Bach - Wachet Auf cantata

Shostakovich - 5th, 10th symphonies

and more by most of those guys, plus other composers. Subject to change. Plus, how did we live before Youtube?

It is kind of scary my recommendations carried this much weight with you, tho I am pleased.

If you're at the track and some tout keeps giving you winners... :)

BTW, I've since found a Leister Mozart Clarinet Concerto with Kubelik on DGG that I like more than the one with Karajan.

I'd also like to add some of Inghelbrecht's Debussy, especially his EMI "Jeux," and Arthur Weisberg's recording on Nonesuch of Stefan Wolpe's "Chamber Piece No. 1."

Dvorak - New World Symphony - Horenstein (Chuck also led me to Horenstein)

Debussy - Preludes, Sonatas, Images, Nocturnes, and and and

Bartok - 3d Piano Concerto

Sibelius - Tapiola

Bach - Wachet Auf cantata

Shostakovich - 5th, 10th symphonies

and more by most of those guys, plus other composers. Subject to change. Plus, how did we live before Youtube?

Yeah, he turned me on to Horenstein, as well.

So the question I'm asking myself: top 5 favorite recordings of Beethoven's op. 110 piano sonata.

1. Kovacevich

2. Pollini

Hmm. I'm a huge Sviatoslav Richter fan, but I don't like his recording of this piece.

But back to your original query. I'd add...

- Rach 2 (sentimental favorite being the Van Cliburn performance that's the 'B' side of my very first classical CD);

- Beethoven 9 (too commercial? But love, love, love the Fritz Reinder CSO version);

- Mozart piano concerto no. 23 (Sir Clifford Curzon);

- the whole stinkin' Copland repertoire because I'm a sucker for Americana.

• 2 months later...