Igor Stravinsky

7/4

If anyone's interested, I contributed to a piece on BBC Radio 3's Jazz on 3 last night about Stravinsky's influence on jazz...you can listen again here!

Two pieces I've been listening to a lot recently - Apollon Musagete, which I hadn't heard in years, and one I have to confess was new to me - Persephone...the second movement of the latter in particular is amazing!

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Igor Stravinsky - A Reluctant Farewell (April 7, 1971)

Tribute to late Russian-American giant features rendition of entire "Firebird" ballet as played on piano by Stravinsky. Also on the program is the Duo Concertant for violin and piano, Norwegian Moods, and Le sacre du printemps. Broadcast one day after Stravinsky's death.

listen here.

Thanks for this. Excellent stuff.

The link still works, digging it now! :party:

• 9 years later...

Always something there to make us re-buy the product... :

"

material which expands this edition:

New material which expands this edition:

Boston Symphony Orchestra, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Seiji Ozawa: Bach: Vom Himmel hoch da komm ich her BWV 769, Orchestrated Stravinsky

LA Philharmonic Orchestra, Igor Stravinsky - Smith: A Star Spangled Banner arranged & conducted by Stravinsky

The piece Chant funebre, the manuscript lost for over a century, discovered after the last Complete Edition was released. This recording by the Lucerne Festival Orchestra, conducted by Riccardo Chailly met wide critical acclaim

5 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I am pretty sure that I bought this LP back in the 1970s after discovering its existence in a Schwann catalog. R-5997094-1458338842-9894.jpeg.jpg

Is that a piano roll, or is he doing the playing real-time? There's a record of a piano roll he made for The Rite Of Spring that is amazing.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Is that a piano roll, or is he doing the playing real-time? There's a record of a piano roll he made for The Rite Of Spring that is amazing.

It is from a piano roll. I haven't heard his piano roll LP of "The Rite of Spring" while he also made a piano roll of "Petrouchka." I am unsure if the latter appeared on LP.

• 2 weeks later...