Igor Stravinsky

7/4

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 Browns playing
on 5 Steinway pianos on the Bonneville Salt Flats.

:blink:

Whenever I see publicity pictures of them for some reason I think of the kids from Village Of The Damned.

I can't help it, I'm too distracted wondering if there's some plastic protection on the legs of the pianos to pay attention to the music. (From what I've read this wasn't "green screened.") Not the best environment for pianos, though hopefully they weren't outside during the heat of the day.

Betch ya they're Mormons. The Osmond Five of the classical piano world.

I was more interested in the five piano arrangement of the Firebird. There are a lot of piano reductions of Stravinsky's music, mostly by the composer. Arrangements for two pianos are common, but five is unusual. It must sound pretty nice to be in a room and hear a performance...

Not the best environment for pianos, though hopefully they weren't outside during the heat of the day.

ditto.

Edited by 7/4

I really like Stravinsky, but that's not a very good piece by him

(ebony concerto). I loved his haircut: I mean the way it was real thin,

and the way he combed it with a thick-tooth comb.

- Capt. Beefheart

Edited by 7/4

• 2 months later...

Highly recommended:

http://www2.broinc.com/search.php?row=0&am...p;submit=Search

The Apollo and the Oedipus have been released before (though with Cocteau's narration from a later Paris performance substituted for that of the German who was the actual narrator for this radio studio performance). Everything on disc two is previously unreleased (or so Music and Arts says). All excellent performances IMO, with just the right

"edge," in very clear, somewhat dry German radio studio sound. Haven't sat down and compared these to later Columbia recordings of the works, but I'd be surprised if these weren't preferable -- for one thing, they're real performances; for another, it's Rosbaud's Baden-Baden orchestra on all of disc two and the (I believe) similarly inclined and trained Cologne Radio Orchestra on side one. And Martha Modl as Jocasta!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was listening to this on the road last night, more Igor in the same style (folk music thematic material) as the Rite of Spring and Petrouska:

LesNocesandRussianVillageWeddingSongs.jpg Igor Stravinsky - Les Noces and Russian Village Wedding Songs

Edited by 7/4

• 1 month later...

Igor Stravinsky - A Reluctant Farewell (April 7, 1971)

Tribute to late Russian-American giant features rendition of entire "Firebird" ballet as played on piano by Stravinsky. Also on the program is the Duo Concertant for violin and piano, Norwegian Moods, and Le sacre du printemps. Broadcast one day after Stravinsky's death.

listen here.

Edited by 7/4

Igor Stravinsky - A Reluctant Farewell (April 7, 1971)

Tribute to late Russian-American giant features rendition of entire "Firebird" ballet as played on piano by Stravinsky. Also on the program is the Duo Concertant for violin and piano, Norwegian Moods, and Le sacre du printemps. Broadcast one day after Stravinsky's death.

listen here.

Thanks for this. Excellent stuff.