The next organissimo record on vinyl?

Would you buy the next organissimo record on vinyl?   52 votes

1. 1. Yes or no?

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm just trying to gauge part of the market here. Since CDs have become so disposable and are now basically money losers (glorified business cards, really), I was thinking there might be enough of you out there that would buy the next organissimo release on vinyl.

So what say you?

Posted

I should add that vinyl would not be the only medium. We'd still have CDs. Just trying to see if there would be a market. Thanks!

Posted

It will smell like Randy's lycra biking shorts.

Posted

Not a chance in hell this would work out financially.

Posted

I think it depends on how you price it. It would have to priced as a boutique item, a collectable. I'm thinking a very low run, like 100 copies.

Posted

I suggest you run all the numbers involve in printing, tooling, etc.

Posted

I don't know how sound an idea it is financially, but I would definitely buy a copy!

Posted

I don't know how sound an idea it is financially, but I would definitely buy a copy!

Word.

Posted

I would too.

Posted

I see the votes aren't looking good for vinyl - nasty, smelly, stuff :) - particularly if you buy a lot of Gospel stuff.

MG

Posted

If the vote favors vinyl, you need to insist on a pre-payment or you may end up with many more than you'll sell. I agree with Chuck - you should cost this out completely and let people know what the unit price will be before you base any decision on this poll.

Posted

Don't want to be negative, but I can't seeing this being a financial success. Just giving an honest opinion.

Posted

I don't want to be positive, but surely the band being in debt for several years from the last CD indicates that financial success can't be measured purely by the profits arising from sales? The band is a financial success if its total income from all sources suffices for whatever the members want money for to the extent that they're prepared to stay with it. I'm sure they'd say that recording helps get more or better paying gigs.

MG

Posted

I'd be willing to pay as much as $50 for a vinyl copy of this. However, I'd be doing it to support Organissimo. I won't go that high for other LPs.

BTW, as much as many perusing this thread are going to hate hearing this, if you want a guarantee of a few hundred sales, have Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray press it for you. Find out his price and see if the premium is worth the extra sales. He has a large following and they buy his work.

Posted (edited)

I'd be willing to pay as much as $50 for a vinyl copy of this. However, I'd be doing it to support Organissimo. I won't go that high for other LPs.

BTW, as much as many perusing this thread are going to hate hearing this, if you want a guarantee of a few hundred sales, have Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray press it for you. Find out his price and see if the premium is worth the extra sales. He has a large following and they buy his work.

This makes sense, commercially speaking... but first delete all the SH related threads that went on the forum and buy some spare muzzles for members... :ph34r:

BTW I would love to buy your next album in vinyl, but I'd do it in cd as well, though vinyl... :wub:

Edited by porcy62

Posted (edited)

Vinyl might be a collectible if it's got some age on it, say 40 or 50 years. I probably(tsk) won't live long enough for it to be a "true" collectible.

However, if the recording floats my boat I'd probably get a cd.

Edited by MoGrubb

Posted

Waddaya mean "if"?

Hey, can we make requests?

A ballad would be nice - one not too often done by jazz musicians - say "They all say I'm the biggest fool" or pick your favourite.

MG

Posted (edited)

Vinyl might be a collectible if it's got some age on it, say 40 or 50 years. I probably(tsk) won't live long enough for it to be "true" collectible.

This is partially wrong, a thing can be collectible as far as it's no longer, or scarcely, available, look at all limited editions like Mosaic.

Overall I think that something is collectible as far as exist collectors ready to pay for it.

Obviously since most collectors are nuts and all are earth-borns you'll never know if something produced todays in small numbers in order to be collectible today will be collectible tomorrow.

Edited by porcy62

Posted

I don't have a turntable anymore.

Posted

I don't have a turntable anymore.

Jim'll do you a burn...

MG

Posted

I would definitely buy it, but not if it's more than 25 or 30 bucks. I'm guessing a 100 limited lp would probably cost more. Maybe you should think about 300 or 500 pressings.

At least 80 percent of the music I've bought since August 2004 has been on vinyl. I gave up my turntable by 1989 or 90, but have reclaimed it very happily. I'm not an audiophile, and I remember Chuck saying how pressing qualities have declined. But most of the new records I've bought I've been happy with. I have bought atrocious pressings from some labels. The Okka Disk limited Brotzmanns were a disappointment, and usually the major label vinyl efforts seem crappier than the indie labels, especially the rock stuff from Matador, Merge, Jagjaguwar, Sub Pop.

This is a good thing to contemplate, as CD sales falter and vinyl sales increase (even if it's only slightly).

Posted

I would also be willing to pay up to $50, but like Kevin said, to support the band--no interest in spending that kind of bread for other releases.

Posted

Much as I dig vinyl, I'd probably go for the CD if I had the choice.

Posted

Same here.