June Christy's This Time of Year

Teasing the Korean

All the songs on this LP were written specifically for it. It's a concept album, of sorts, about someone trying to reconcile the idealization of the holiday season with the realities of life. Unusual for a Christmas album of this period to take such a view of things. Probably the most famous song on it is "The Merriest," which has shown up on a a few Capitol Christmas comps over the past ten years or so.

• 2 years later...

This will have to wait until next year - it probably won't arrive before the holidays.

Please post your reminder early in November next year! ;)

Second!

I forgot about this!

Since everyone has dropped the ball about reminding the rest of us in early November, TTK I appoint you to do so next November.

TTK, thanks for the recommendation.

I have never listened to June Christy and am not familiar with her sound, but I saw this album mentioned in a thread related to Christmas music from a few years ago. How would you describe her sound/genre? And I'm quite curious about the theme of the album as you described it in one of the posts above -- does she reconcile these two things with more of a melancholy, hopeful or some other feeling/sound?

So who has listened to this since I posted this topic two years ago? This album is so great I allow myself to listen to it only once a season, I don't want to wear it out. God Pete Rugolo is so great.

I got it two years ago and really dug it. Sometimes I even play it outside the holidays.

I have never listened to June Christy and am not familiar with her sound, but I saw this album mentioned in a thread related to Christmas music from a few years ago. How would you describe her sound/genre? And I'm quite curious about the theme of the album as you described it in one of the posts above -- does she reconcile these two things with more of a melancholy, hopeful or some other feeling/sound?

She started out as one of Stan Kenton's singers, after Anita O'Day and after (I think) Chris Conner. Vocally, I think she is kind of similar to Chris Conner. Her voice has both a dark timbre but also has a bounce and conveys a sense of lightness, if that makes sense. Her best albums were done for Capitol (after Kenton) with arrangements by THEE GREAT PETE RUGOLO. I would start with either "Something Cool," "Gone for the Day" or "The Misty Miss Christy." If you get "Something Cool," be sure you're getting the original mono (the stereo was a re-record). Avoid her volume in the Capitol "Great Ladies of Song" series. It focuses too much on ballads and is not a good representation of her style overall, IMHO.