Sad news about Frank Morgan

HolyStitt

Very upset to hear this news. Earlier this year I jumped at the chance to drive Frank from Toledo, Oh (he had a gig in downtown Toledo) to Cleveland where he played a brunch concert as part of the Tri C Jazz Fest. One of life's great experiences to spend a couple of hours with him hearing about his life and music. He was a gentle man and a gentleman.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone should look again at the beautiful picture of Frank in post #19 above. That's the way we should remember him - his alto in his hands, that beatific smile on his face. That's the way I'll remember him.

He was the leader on one of the greatest gigs I've ever had the good fortune to hear. It was some years ago at the Regattabar in Boston; not just a very good night, not just an excellent night, but a jaw-dropping, head-shaking, stunningly great night. The group was Frank, James Williams on piano, John Lockwood on bass, and Alan Dawson on drums. And now they're all gone but John Lockwood - take care of yourself, John.

i am beside myself- i cant believe frank morgan is dead. well maybe i can belive it, but i am sadded and maddened. Frank = true west coast jazz pioneer. i saw him w/ art farmer in a quintet, keeping the bebop spirit alive. art died first but that is beautiful frank got a nother block of years in playing jazz before it was time for him to go. i also cant understand the 30 yrs in prison- is that truly accurate? also what are his earliest known recordings? beside the GNP frank morgan album. hey, i should go play that.....

Glad I finally got to see him when I visited the Pacific Northwest back in the summer of '04. He and Cyrus Chestnut duetted at the Mt. Hood Jazz Festival one Sunday afternoon. Extremely enjoyable set. Aside from the music, I recall Morgan having a few very praiseworthy words about Abbey Lincoln who had preceded him on stage. A real gentleman as well as a fine saxophonist.

• 2 months later...