OK Vinyl Fanatics - Tell Me About Numark TT's

Dan Gould

I hadn't really thought about replacing or upgrading my decidedly mediocre turntable I got at BrandsMart four years ago but I stopped into the sole remaining used record store in Fort Lauderdale today and discovered that they were now stocking various Numark models, including one with a USB cable for direct dubbing into the PC.

So - is Numark a good brand? Sticking below, say, $250, are there decent options if I decided to upgrade?

thanks in advance.

Numark is a solid DJ stuff makers, far from being HI-FI IMHO. Do you really need a USB port on your next TT?

I'd suggest to have a look at these, if you want a new TT.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-Stores/Pro-Ject-Turntable

Or look for an used one: Rega, Thorens are the first name that comes to mind.

Edited by porcy62

I have the Numark TTUSB, it works for me. But then, I don't have a great stereo to listen to music on and generally listen to songs I transferred from vinyl on my iPod. I have noticed the transfer quality, while clean, isn't as loud as tracks from CDs.

I have the Numark TTUSB, it works for me. But then, I don't have a great stereo to listen to music on and generally listen to songs I transferred from vinyl on my iPod. I have noticed the transfer quality, while clean, isn't as loud as tracks from CDs.

Ah, yes, the questions would be: what do you want from a TT? And how big is your record collection? How good is your audio system?

Ah, yes, the questions would be: what do you want from a TT? And how big is your record collection? How good is your audio system?

Well, I thought that my description of my current TT and my price range would give you an idea. I have a lot of vinyl, but I own it to transfer to CD, not as a main source of listening pleasure. I'd like something that will sound decent at a more than reasonable cost.

This shop uses Numark TTs at their listening stations, and on headphones they certainly sound pretty good to me.

If so go for Numark...BUT if you can afford it I wamly suggest you this one: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8...mp;category=948.

Maybe you'll rediscover the pleasure of listen to vinyls comfortably seated in your soft sofa. :)

That looks like a good choice.

Or perhaps an entry-level Rega or a Linn Axis (second hand)?

If so go for Numark...BUT if you can afford it I wamly suggest you this one: http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8...mp;category=948.

Maybe you'll rediscover the pleasure of listen to vinyls comfortably seated in your soft sofa. :)

That looks like a good choice.

Or perhaps an entry-level Rega or a Linn Axis (second hand)?

From what I understood of Dan's requirements, he need a TT that has an A/D converter and an USB, no hassle with phono stage, cables, set up, ecc. Rega and Linn are stand alone unities. Good old Dan don't want problems. So the Pro-Ject above would be perfect.

There's no way I could even think about a $449 TT.

I also don't require USB outputs, I've been using RCAs with an adapter into the line-in plug and everything actually sounds quite nice.

What I was hoping to find out is that for close to what I paid before - maybe $50 more -that the Numark would sound quite acceptable. Maybe the Numark's flaws are more noticeable on higher end setups?

As for listening to vinyls on the couch that's highly unlikely - ain't no couch up here, and really the fact is that its relatively rare for my vinyl to be super clean and wonderful to listen to. That's why I dump it into the computer, clean up the pops and burn CDs. Then I have a much nicer sounding copy and don't have to listen to the noisy vinyl again. Although it did occur to me that if I had a USB connection, I could run output to both the PC, and if I got a really long set of RCA cables, to the stereo in the listening room that is next to the office.

There's no way I could even think about a $449 TT.

I also don't require USB outputs, I've been using RCAs with an adapter into the line-in plug and everything actually sounds quite nice.

What I was hoping to find out is that for close to what I paid before - maybe $50 more -that the Numark would sound quite acceptable. Maybe the Numark's flaws are more noticeable on higher end setups?

As for listening to vinyls on the couch that's highly unlikely - ain't no couch up here, and really the fact is that its relatively rare for my vinyl to be super clean and wonderful to listen to. That's why I dump it into the computer, clean up the pops and burn CDs. Then I have a much nicer sounding copy and don't have to listen to the noisy vinyl again. Although it did occur to me that if I had a USB connection, I could run output to both the PC, and if I got a really long set of RCA cables, to the stereo in the listening room that is next to the office.

Go for Numark!

Frankly I didn't understand why you started this thread. :blink:

Edited by porcy62

i'm an audiophile at work, but my home system is a vintage solid state receiver and a classic Technics 1200.

the issues surrounding turntables and affordability are many, but chief among them are playback and durability.

Numark are cheap, feather-light turntables to me. period. i wouldn't waste my money on them.

for real man, think of this purchase as you would a car or a major appliance. (i.e. how soon do you want to f*ck

around with buying another one..) brand new Technics 1200-series tables are basically the Hondas/Toyotas of TT's

in that they're solid performers and you'll get your money back at roughly 75% should you want to sell it on craigslist

within 2-3 years. honestly, the thing can basically fall down the stairs and still playback at near-archival capacity. that,

coupled with the tork (when using a slipmat), is why they've been the defacto choice of DJ's for ages. i mean imagine

how often those things get lugged around...and still perform.

folks with $10,000 systems are out of this discussion here, as far as i'm concerned; that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

save your money for an extra few months and get a 1200. it'll last you forever and you'll never need another table

unless you decide to go fancy. and then hey, more power to ya if you do..