"After the Vanguard: the Return of Bill Evans"

ghost of miles

Vibes, hey, thanks, glad you liked the show. Part of my impetus for doing it was the sense that liner notes/Evans histories tend to have presented HOW MY HEART SINGS and MOONBEAMS as Evans' "return" to the studios and scene following LaFaro's death...but in fact he was back working as a sideman in late 1961 (as evidenced by the Murphy/Pike/first Herbie Mann sessions--in fact, that marks the first studio appearance of the "new" trio with Israels on bass), in addition to some solo club dates.

Evans discography for the early 1960s

Again, there was yet more material I wish I could've included, particularly the Mann/Evans recording of "I Love You" from Nov. 1961.

Just listened to it this morning. Probably one of the best shows ever, David. I forgot about "Ev'rything I Love." That song reminds me of a cool, sunny autumn day with the leaves falling in the late afternoon. Great selection of songs, too; glad to see a song from Tadd Dameron's MAGIC TOUCH, another favorite album!

That Dave Pike song sounded like Trane's "Impressions." ;)

• 1 year later...

Just listened to mark Murphy singing "Favorite Things" on the show. Does anyone else remember that the original Lp of RAH

had quite fine altered lyrics where he sings about Jazz and musicians--something about Trane of course and IIRC

"memories of Billie, the joy and the heart-ache". There was also also a funny version of "I'll be Seeing You" ("I'll be seeing you in all of the old familiar faces, of the horses at the races..etc".) I think the songs' publishers made him replace these with the original lyricss in later editions of the record.

Edited by medjuck