Best source for indie/import labels?

Edlock8718

With the closing of the Tower Records here in NY awhile ago, I've been fairly out of the loop when it comes to new jazz releases over the past year and I'm definitely starting to feel it. Of course, the end of Jazzmatazz hasn't helped me keep on top of things either.

So what's the best source of new recordings on indie/import jazz labels these days, such as Smalls or Fresh Sound New Talent? I would love a brick and mortar where I could simply walk in and browse, but I know the chances of that are slim, so how about an online shop?

And while we're at it, anyone care to volunteer their top 10 releases for 2007?

With the closing of the Tower Records here in NY awhile ago, I've been fairly out of the loop when it comes to new jazz releases over the past year and I'm definitely starting to feel it. Of course, the end of Jazzmatazz hasn't helped me keep on top of things either.

So what's the best source of new recordings on indie/import jazz labels these days, such as Smalls or Fresh Sound New Talent? I would love a brick and mortar where I could simply walk in and browse, but I know the chances of that are slim, so how about an online shop?

And while we're at it, anyone care to volunteer their top 10 releases for 2007?

If you're in NYC, at least check with Downtown Music Gallery.

Thanks, guys. CDUniverse has been my source for new releases/reissues, both jazz and otherwise, but I do find their catalog to be a bit inconsistent sometimes, completely ignoring albums by fairly well-known artists on fairly well-known labels. And I was hoping to find a site more jazz-centric, where I might see some reviews and get some samples. Both Dustygroove and CDBaby are sites I was aware of as well, but I've never known how reliable they are. I'll give 'em a try.

I also checked out the Jazz Record Center many years ago, but got the impression that they were primarily for used CDs and import re-issues, but I did see on their website that they have made an effort to increase their catalog of import labels, such as FSNT and Criss Cross. Downtown Music Gallery is a new one to me - and pretty close to Other Music, a regular of mine.

So, no takers on the best releases of 2007? I would put put a new topic for it altogether, but I'd feel like an idiot without any nominations of my own...

Downtown Music Gallery is a new one to me - and pretty close to Other Music, a regular of mine.

By all means stop in, it's the last interesting little shop in NYC.

So, no takers on the best releases of 2007? I would put put a new topic for it altogether, but I'd feel like an idiot without any nominations of my own...

Too early for me to think about it, maybe this weekend. Not that I bought a lot of new stuff, mostly old.

new recordings - that IS a tough one

we have no record stores in KC that stock any kind of jazz (aside from Borders et al)

you are correct - used to be you browsed, then Jazzmatazz came along and we were all happy (and broke)

now I feel that I am missing new stuff

I read the reviews over at All About Jazz - that provides some window into the newer stuff

eMusic deserves a mention. You don't get liner notes or SACD quality, but you get musical quality and good prices to burn your own CDs. My trouble is keeping my backlog of things I want to save for future downloading down to only 100 albums, I certainly have no problems finding enough music of interest to meet a 90 track monthly subscription.

Guest Bill Barton

...So, no takers on the best releases of 2007? I would put put a new topic for it altogether, but I'd feel like an idiot without any nominations of my own...

There's been some discussion of that here.

I'd add a "third" for Jazz Loft.

has anyone done business with squidco? from their website squidco.com:

Squidco sells unusual and experimental improvised, composed, rock, folk and other musics from labels and artists around the globe. Particular interests are in Free Jazz, Downtown NY Improv Scene, Musique Actuelle, R.I.O. (Rock In Opposition), Avant-Rock & Folk, Unusual Vocal Improv, Avant-Garde and modern compositional music, Electro-Acoustic, Electronic, Experimental, EA-Improv, lower case, Sound & Noise, Field Recordings, World Musics, Historic Recordings, and a great deal inbetween.

Shipping Policies:

US shipping is either by Media Mail (cheapest) or 1st class. All shipments to Canada are by Air Letter Post. Canada and US Media Mail shipment is $1 each for the first two items shipped, free for additional products. Canadians: additional shipping cost may be required for items that indicate a "Shipping Note" in their listing or description. US 1st Class Shipment is $2.00 each for the first two items shipped, $1.00 for each of the 3rd to 4th item shipped, free for each additional product for a maximum of $6. Additional shipping cost may be required for items that indicate a "Shipping Note" in their listing or description.

International shipping is via The US Post Office using Airmail unless surface shipment is requested. International Shipping to all countries is $3.00 each for the first two items shipped, the $1 each for the 3rd through 6th items for a maximum of $9.00. You may inquire on shipping prices when ordering- you will not be charged until we have agreed on the actual shipping costs, and you may cancel your order if shipping charges are more than you're willing to spend.

has anyone done business with squidco? from their website squidco.com:

Squidco sells unusual and experimental improvised, composed, rock, folk and other musics from labels and artists around the globe. Particular interests are in Free Jazz, Downtown NY Improv Scene, Musique Actuelle, R.I.O. (Rock In Opposition), Avant-Rock & Folk, Unusual Vocal Improv, Avant-Garde and modern compositional music, Electro-Acoustic, Electronic, Experimental, EA-Improv, lower case, Sound & Noise, Field Recordings, World Musics, Historic Recordings, and a great deal inbetween.

Shipping Policies:

US shipping is either by Media Mail (cheapest) or 1st class. All shipments to Canada are by Air Letter Post. Canada and US Media Mail shipment is $1 each for the first two items shipped, free for additional products. Canadians: additional shipping cost may be required for items that indicate a "Shipping Note" in their listing or description. US 1st Class Shipment is $2.00 each for the first two items shipped, $1.00 for each of the 3rd to 4th item shipped, free for each additional product for a maximum of $6. Additional shipping cost may be required for items that indicate a "Shipping Note" in their listing or description.

International shipping is via The US Post Office using Airmail unless surface shipment is requested. International Shipping to all countries is $3.00 each for the first two items shipped, the $1 each for the 3rd through 6th items for a maximum of $9.00. You may inquire on shipping prices when ordering- you will not be charged until we have agreed on the actual shipping costs, and you may cancel your order if shipping charges are more than you're willing to spend.

I've placed two or three orders w/ them. Fast, professional service.

has anyone done business with squidco?

I can recommend Squidco highly. I've placed many orders with them and have no complaints. Always quick to ship and pleasant to deal with. In fact, I just received Sun ra's Disco 3000 set in the mail from them yesterday.

My only complaint is that shipping used to be free. I can't fault them for charging $1 for the first two items.

i want to share a gripe i have against jazzloft. i placed an order for several titles early last month. ten days later i recieved notification that my order had been shipped. a week and a half after that i got three cds in the mail. for the past week i've been checking my mailbox daily, waiting for the rest of my order to arrive. today, i finally called them. initially, the woman on the other end of the line had no idea why i hadn't received all of my cds. after many questions, i learned that the other five titles were sold out and unavailable for re-order. I asked her why I hadn't been notified of this at any point, and frankly, she was clueless. while i was at it, i inquired about a subsequent order i made to determine its status. all she could say was that it hadn't been shipped yet, and they were having trouble getting one of the titles.

i know we've had previous discussions about other vendors advertising items that they didn't have to ship. frankly, i thought this smaller, jazz-oriented operation was different. what really bugs me is the fact that they confirmed my order and even sent a shipping notice without ever alerting me that some items weren't coming. to top it off, there's the apparent lack of knowledge from what i assume is their customer service.

i'm not advocating that anyone change their opinion or their buying habits with jazzloft. i'm just saying that in the future, i'll look elsewhere before placing any more orders with these folks.

Cadence

CD Universe

Dusty Groove

CD Baby

Take your pick. Depends a little on what you're looking for.

cadence, most particularly slim at cadence, has found me some great recordings over the years.

cadence magazine has been essential in hooking me up with some titles i would never have known existed.

i dont know about their prices. when you really want something, you buy it.

Edited by alocispepraluger102