Jim Cramer: Pay No Attention to that Crazy Man on TV

Cramer was much more interesting before he bacame that charicature of himself on "Mad Money". He actually had some worthwhile things to say. He even appeared on such shows as Charlie Rose.

How the heck does one interpolate an appearance on Charlie Rose into anything positive? Rose seems to be THE biggest phony on American television. Sometimes his interviews are good comedy.

If you say so, Chuck.

I happen to like his interviews for the most part. There are so few long-form discussion shows on TV, it's sometimes a breath of fresh air. In fact, the only other one (that I can think of) that comes close is Tavis Smiley.

Who do YOU like?

Edited by BFrank

If you say so, Chuck.

I happen to like his interviews for the most part. There are so few long-form discussion shows on TV, it's sometimes a breath of fresh air. In fact, the only other one (that I can think of) that comes close is Tavis Smiley.

Who do YOU like?

Sorry, I don't have any substitutes. Long form interviews should be revealing but Mr. Smiley seems unprepared (or uninformed) as well.

While watching a Rose interview I always have the feeling he's working from a series of questions prepared by "staff" and doesn't have a clue about the questions or answers. Many times his follow-ups reveal this.

I wasn't thinking radio.

I'm sure some of Rose's interviews are prepared by staff, but I think he usually makes them work.

FWIW, I do frequently find his interviews with musicians shallow. I don't think he's much of an informed music fan and it shows. He's best with politicos and celebs.

As far as taking themselves too seriously, you would HAVE to include Costas in that group.

Does Linda Ellerbee have a regular gig these days? I haven't seen her in years.

I'm curious -- since you guys (if I understand you correctly) believe that there is a way to routinely generate returns beyond those of a simple market index without a greater degree of risk as a freelance investor while doing less than 52 hrs of research per year, have you succeed in doing so?

(I don't intend this to sound confrontational, but I am curious.)

Guy

Most years I beat or at least meet the appropriate indexes, although I don't really care how I do between Jan 1 - Dec 31 of a year as I'm always going longer. It's tricky figuring out what "the market" is now that I'm so diversified into foreign markets, small caps & large (and those cats overlap) and as I pay taxes & commissions while the averages don't. I do my best to see what percentage I have in each region and compare, and it helps that I rarely make even 6 transactions in a year. I tend to buy what's down (within reason, not just because something is down) yet I'm almost always early, and that behavior may hurt me a little in a yearly comparison but I fare better longer term. When I had less money I did outperform "the market" much more easily, though with more risk than I take on now as I wasn't as diversified.

My comment had to do with the amount of time that you stated was necessary, as you said an hour "per stock" each week. If what you said was true I'd lose about a day and a half of sleep per week, though a tiny bit less if you'd don't consider a closed-end fund to be a regular stock requiring that amount of time. If one is investing in micro-caps more time researching than usual would be required, though the transaction costs are greater so moving willy nilly would hurt a "civilian." Generally I believe by using value methods, particularly with stocks that pay a dividend, it takes nowhere near the amount of time you stated, and the upkeep isn't as great by favoring companies with sounder finances. Some years such value moves don't work as well, but over a lifetime a nonprofessional will probably fare better than with momentum strategies namely due to transaction costs. I enjoy being better able to control the timing of capital gains by owning individual stocks. That said over the years I tend to replace stocks with indexes as it's easier.

Cramer was much more interesting before he bacame that charicature of himself on "Mad Money". He actually had some worthwhile things to say. He even appeared on such shows as Charlie Rose.

How the heck does one interpolate an appearance on Charlie Rose into anything positive? Rose seems to be THE biggest phony on American television. Sometimes his interviews are good comedy.

Yes, but he has the "concerned" look nailed. Some say it even rivals Keanu Reeve's "puzzled" look, but I disagree. I mean, Reeves is convincing because he's a natural...

I agree with Chuck re Rose--I think he takes himself far too seriously. As for Tavis, his interviews are painfully shallow. Give me someone like Bob Costas or Linda Ellerbee, but their questions were too informed, I suppose.

Another Ellerbee fan here; wish she was more visible.