catesta's post at AAJ

I think once the new forums are posted at AAJ, it might be the end of the hopes of making this board the final destination. :( I hate to see it since I think B3-er did and is doing a great job over here. I, for one, will continue to make this my first destination when in cyberland. Hopefully, more and more people will drop in, like it, and stay.

Honestly, aside from getting new members surfing the web, I think this is a better spot. I like the setup better and the management can't be beat! ;) It's everything we missed about the BNBB. I'm afraid we might run into the same troubles at AAJ at sometime. It too, is run by some sort of for-profit corporation. Lightning can strike twice.

Thanks B3-er for all the trouble you've gone to. Hopefully they'll all land here eventually. If not, it's a great place to hang! (Especially when you want to talk organ stuff.) :)

Well...even if AAJ works out great and things go well for a while, it sure would be nice to have this place ready, just in case. I did not like the feeling of being shown the door over at Blue Note. It won't take that much for us to keep some traffic going here, will it? I guess I've been burned, and am unwilling to trust a site completely that isn't "in family" anymore...

To me, this is the best board out there. In this sense, it's ours so to speak. What's the difference between cyber-boards other than this one says organissimo at the top and the other AllAboutJazz? I feel no different here than at the pre-nuked BNBB.

But what we do need is participation. We can only have so much interplay among a dozen or so people. If that's all the comes of it, fine. I'll still be here talking to those few.

I wish there was a way to get everybody over here. I just don't know how to convince folks.

I’ve done what I can do (to get people over here). I posted about this site at AAJ and the post had several views. I’ve been posting at Organissimo just hoping it might start some conversation.

It appears the Members list continues to grow at Organissimo but the Members are posting elsewhere. I agree. THIS is the best site on the net, especially for the old Blue Note crowd. The board software is better, the forums are better, and 'the family' is better. I’m not sure why most of the family continues to post at AAJ (which has nearly nothing to do with the old Blue Note group) rather than here, among family and friends.

Like, I don’t get it…

Anybody got any ideas?

Do I have to begin making smart-assed comments at AAJ such as, "What's the matter with you people? START POSTING AT ORGANISSIMO!"

Feck! :angry:

Well, the problem is, AAJ is where we landed first. Well, okay; second after the Harlem site which creeped out more than a few of us. Having become one of the few who have already had a post deleted by the head over at AAJ (and I'm not sure I disagree with his reasoning, it's just that after the Blue Note fiasco it rankles...), I must admit I'm leaning more and more towards this site.

I don't know what we can do. I just bumped your thread over there, wesbed, hoping for a few more notices from the gang. I think the best we can do is just keep posting here and keep the site alive for the future...

You know, oddly enough I think that FOR THE MOMENT, having all the forums (fora) might feel a little empty -- big empty house with lots of rooms -- like everybody's a little shell-shocked and feels like warming themselves and drying out around the fireplace in the little cabin called "BlueNote in the House" over at AAJ!

Hopefully, we'll achieve some critical mass here soon. Maybe AAJ won't really get their forums organized fast enough and the frustration of scrolling down one long list will propel exBNBBers here.

On the other hand, for me, the brand-new "musicians" forum was very inviting because it was so private -- and thanks again for the great tip, B3-er.

OH - I just saw Jazzmoose saying "we landed there first" which was also kind of my point -- VERY COOL feature of this board software! -- you can monitor a new message posted after you started writing but before posting yours!

P.S. -- Mark, what was your deleted post about?

Also, can anyone tell me if there's a way to re-size these text lines so they don't run

off the end of my screen? Thanks.

Maren, I was about to post about the text thing too, but I discovered that a change of browser remedied the situation. Usually I use Netscape 4.7, but I found that IE 5 will display pages without scrolling. There might be a fix you can do in Netscape, but I couldn't find it.

P.S. -- Mark, what was your deleted post about?

It was silly; I'd found some old thread where somebody complained about the board becoming a sewer (from WAY before we showed up!) and added a comment "He should see it NOW" or something. Very silly, and probably ill-advised. But I'm used to doing ill-advised things and prefer to screw up on my own. As I say, I understand his deletion (the entire thread was deleted) so as to not alarm anyone, but I never cared for things being done for my own good...

Jazzmoose, I'm curious as to what thread was deleted over at AAJ. Although catesta is really trying to make it work over there, something gives me a funny feeling sometimes. I can't put my finger on it.

So, it's not just me, eh? :)

I wish I could put my finger on it too.

I'm trying to think of a way to approach this situation. Meaning, why is this GREAT board here and 'the family' is posting elsewhere?

But seriously, if that's possible for me, I have to agree. The thread that was deleted was fairly innocuous. It basically went like this:

1) OLD POSTER: This place is a sewer; I'm outta here!

2) JAZZMOOSE: Ha! He should see it NOW! ;)

3) WEST COAST GHOST: You got me on that one; I didn't see the original post date at first.

Note: these are NOT quotes; these are my recollection. i'm positive they are NOT exact quotes, okay?

Anyway, okay, the moderator sees this, decides other newcomers might be alarmed, so he deletes the entire thread. Like I say, I can understand his reasoning. I understand his motive, and see nothing wrong with his motive. I just don't like the action that he took. Perhaps I'm being unreasonable; perhaps not.

Man, I feel like we're reenacting The Oddessy, or more likely Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou? here! Every board seems cool at first, but isn't quite right. This one seems perfect, but...I...seem.....sleeepy.......zzzzzzzzzz :D

My "Pilgrims Landing On Plymouth Rock - Take 2" thread title on AAJ was not meant humorously (well, ok, it was, a LITTLE ;) ). There was already a small but entrenched group with their own style over there, and from what I can see, a few of them are warmly interacting, but lot of them are steering clear of the BN transplants. There's not that many of them relative to us, but I can maybe see the potential for some real clique warfare developing eventually.

This place, otoh, is virgin soil, made for BNers by a BNer. Don't underestimate that.

I think this is a great board. The only problem for me is that we've already set up camp over there. I don't want them to make a bunch of changes to their board and then have us ditch them. I will go whereever the group decides. My only concern is getting new people to this board. I followed the Harlem board a couple years ago and after an influx of new blood, it just died off a couple months later.

Maybe we should take a poll at the allaboutjazz board to see where we should go. Heck, maybe we should take a poll over there of their original members and see if they want us to go.

I don't really think polls are the answer at this stage. The poll taken here said we should stay here. Surprise, surprise. I'm sure a poll taken at this point at AAJ would result in an overwhelming vote to stay there. I honestly think that at this stage, the best approach is to be patient. Let's let things sort themselves out for a bit. After all, a lot of us thought Harlem.org was our new home for a bit. Obviously, fewer of us think that now. Let's just give it a little more time...

What's up dildees??? :D;)

Please don't take my actions at AAJ any certain way.

Right now I see good in both places. I was one of the first to post over there after I bailed on Harlem.org.

When Mike the BM saw the new heavy dose of activity, he reached out to me via email. For some reason or another I have become the go between for certain items.

The first thing he noticed was a call out for the addition of forums. I doubt it was much needed before, but with the overwhelming amount of new traffic threads seem to get lossed, with all that scrolling.

Sure, I feel some loyalty to AAJ now, after all I did some heavy lobbying to get the gang out of Harlem.org, since the dude was ragging on me.

This is no way means I don't appreciate what B3-er has done hear and in record time I must admit.

Shit if it was me I'd still be working on what to call the damn thing. ;)

So I will be here and there. If there turns out to be bunk, I will still be here.

I think both boards have great potential and at this time are necessary. Hell when I started at the BNBB I was jumping between JOL, BNBB, and JC.

JazzConer to me, has no personality, so I don't ever see myself there.

AAJ, and this site have, how should I say....um..., "got it goin' on"!

In the end it will work itself out.

As far as I'm concerned you could take this bunch and throw us on to Oprah's website all we would still survive. Not to mention take the sucker over. :P

Sangrey would have that Dr. Phil dudes time slot in aboot 3 days.

As long as the BN gang is within a cyber ear reach of each other, I'm a happy dude.

So here is to the best damn board members any board could ever have, no matter what the boards is.

toast.gif

Well, I made a post, as did several others, to the "Innovation" thread on AAJ, and got this "the BN Bunch seems to be missing something" response, which is understandable enough, and can maybe be worked through, but hey - if I'm forever to be stigmatized as a memeber of the "Blue Note Bunch" without being able to discuss ideas on their own merit, well, then that's not going to be any place I want to be at. Believe it or not, I had to "prove" myself at Blue Note too. I posted for about 6 weeks, I think, before ever getting ANY kind of response, and it wasn't until Lon and I got into a prolonged and intense, but totally civil and intellegent, disagreement over the Blue Note "avant-garde" that I think anybody of substance over there began to take me seriously and welcome me into the community. Lon and I have since become great cyber-friends - we know each other's tastes and play to the similarities. But I was just one guy, not 1000!

I'd LIKE to think that once those of us who want serious discussion "prove" ourselves to the natives at AAJ that it'll be cool, but you just never know... I'm still liking this place for overall attitude and the fact that it's a "ground floor" community.

He's gonna be my bitch. ;)

I was reading some of his old posts and threads. It looks as if the dude has a history of feeling only doing shit like this.

His "how many CD's is too much" thread, makes me think he is that he is the same person that was over at BN I think under the handle of simmer. I could be wrong, but it looks like it could be.