Stanley Turrentine & Horace Parlan

Big Al

I was thinking they recorded a lot together, but a search at jazzdisco.org supplies the following albums:

Look Out (to be issued as an RVG next year)

Speakin’ My Piece (on the Parlan Mosaic)

Comin’ Your Way (on the Turrentine Mosaic)

Up at Minton’s (readily available by itself)

On the Spur of the Moment (on the Parlan Mosaic)

Then there was a rejected session and an earlier session on Time Records. And that appears to be it. Am I missing anything? They blend so well together, it would be a shame if they didn't record more together.

Ok, this is no doubt "off-topic", but for some reason it just seems like a natural fit for me to bring up the Booker Ervin/Horace Parlan collaboration on Candid, That's It. No, Booker Ervin is not Stanley Turrentine, but Horace Parlan is still Horace Parlan, and he brings to that album what he brought to the Turrentine sides (including George Tucker & Al Harewood). So it's kind of a "same thing only different" thing.

Apologies for the off-topicicity.

Ok, this is no doubt "off-topic", but for some reason it just seems like a natural fit for me to bring up the Booker Ervin/Horace Parlan collaboration on Candid, That's It. No, Booker Ervin is not Stanley Turrentine, but Horace Parlan is still Horace Parlan, and he brings to that album what he brought to the Turrentine sides (including George Tucker & Al Harewood). So it's kind of a "same thing only different" thing.

The Parlan-Tucker-Harewood trio is one of the great unsung "in the pocket" rhythm sections, whether they are backing Booker or Turrentine, or are by themselves.

Hey, I'm all for bringing up Booker in this thread! He was also a nice fit with Parlan. This sounds like an excellent record, one worth searching out!

Highly recommended - one of Booker's best albums. What a shame Candid only lasted that very short time in the early 60s. They hit the bullseye with awesome consistency.

The Parlan-Tucker-Harewood trio is one of the great unsung "in the pocket" rhythm sections, whether they are backing Booker or Turrentine, or are by themselves.

Don't miss 'em on Dexter Gordon, Doin' Allright!

Don't miss 'em on Dexter Gordon, Doin' Allright!

You KNOW it!!!! :tup

Just got Booker's That's It! over the weekend, and its great! I'm fan of the Turrentine brothers + Parlan, especially on On the Spur of the Moment, my favorite Parlan-led date.

• 11 years later...

Working on a Night Lights show for next week about Parlan and Turrentine's early-1960s recordings and came across this thread.  The Mosaic booklets for both Parlan and Turrentine offer some good background information, and I'm digging into a few book passages that pop up on Jazzinstitut's bibliographic index, but any additional suggestions for further reading are welcome.

On 12/19/2007 at 7:47 PM, Stereojack said:

Although the show I'm working on focuses on the Parlan-Turrentine connection, I'm already planning a sequel that will highlight said rhythm section's work with Booker Ervin, Lou Donaldson, and Dexter Gordon, as well as one or two Turrentine sides that won't make it into the current program-in-progress.

On 12/19/2007 at 7:07 PM, Big Al said:

I was thinking they recorded a lot together, but a search at jazzdisco.org supplies the following albums:

Look Out (to be issued as an RVG next year)

Speakin’ My Piece (on the Parlan Mosaic)

Comin’ Your Way (on the Turrentine Mosaic)

Up at Minton’s (readily available by itself)

On the Spur of the Moment (on the Parlan Mosaic)

Then there was a rejected session and an earlier session on Time Records. And that appears to be it. Am I missing anything? They blend so well together, it would be a shame if they didn't record more together.

Unless I'm reading dates incorrectly, all of these sessions occurred in one 15-month stretch (the first, the Tommy Turrentine Time session, was done in January 1960, and On The Spur Of The Moment was recorded on March 18, 1961).