Djangos.com is no more

robviti

i just logged onto their website and saw this unfortunate news:

Dear friends and customers of Djangos,

We are saddened to announce that effective immediately we are closing our sales operation. Customer Service will remain open until April 1, 2008, but no further orders will be accepted. Thank you for your loyal patronage over the years and best wishes for the new year and beyond. Sincerely, The Djangos Staff

customerservice@djangos.com

:(

Edited by jazzshrink

Oh no!!!

Remember, I started a thread about having trouble accessing their site some time ago... they were simply the best! Cheap shipping, very fast delivery (often less than a week for orders to Switzerland - pretty incredible!), and great prizes, and their notification service was great, too!

:(

Well-- originally, yes. The gentlemen who bought the Portland store were the ones that then went on a buying spree of used record stores in a lot of different cities (they had some view of having a huge chain of (ex-)indie record stores, thinking that economies of scale could help make them all profitable... it didn't.).... As part of that expansion, the website was set up.

Frankly, those of us who loved the old store were really sorry to see it bought out like that. There's no doubt that it certainly needed an infusion of capital, but sometimes making things "corporate" isn't an improvement.

-Kevin

Edited by Kevin Segura

I hadn't realized that the locations were all commonly owned. I thought that it might have been some type of joint venture in which local shops could join forces for a website that would have deeper inventory. Certainly the prices varied from location to location. Too bad. Hadn't purchased much there recently, but when they first started it was perhaps the best in terms of prices, and pretty good on selection.

I hadn't realized that the locations were all commonly owned. I thought that it might have been some type of joint venture in which local shops could join forces for a website that would have deeper inventory. Certainly the prices varied from location to location. Too bad. Hadn't purchased much there recently, but when they first started it was perhaps the best in terms of prices, and pretty good on selection.

I don't know the exact details, but I lived pretty close to a small used store that was bought up by Djangos, so it put a computer terminal in the store. That was pretty nice. Then a year later it went under. Two years after that, 3 more used CD stores in the neighborhood went under.

Thanks, that's it! I discovered a lot of great music there either through staff recommendations or by buying blindly.

Everyday Music has pretty well put most Portland used cd stores out of business. Too bad. I liked Django's too. It was a funky store! I find most of my used stuff through the various sellers that operate through Amazon and Half.com now.

I need to call the customer service dept. Who can help me with their tel number???

In case I'm not the only one who needs it:

• In the USA call 503-241-6584 (8 AM - 5 PM PT Monday through Friday)

• Outside the USA call 503-241-6584 (8 AM - 5 PM PT Monday through Friday)

Edited by B. Goren.

Wow...Birdland! It used to be downtown right by the library, and then moved over to Hawthorne. It's gone now, RIP, but probably 90% of my collection in the first two or three years I started collecting used vinyl came from there. The owner was always going to Chicago and bringing sick finds back--prices were good, too.

I grew up in Portland--nice to see all the connections to that city here. Jlarsen, are you from there as well?

The Hawthorne shops have to still be there though, right? There was a great vinyl shop called Birdland where I saw some pretty amazing records from time to time.

I need to call the customer service dept. Who can help me with their tel number???

In case I'm not the only one who needs it:

• In the USA call 503-241-6584 (8 AM - 5 PM PT Monday through Friday)

• Outside the USA call 503-241-6584 (8 AM - 5 PM PT Monday through Friday)

This tel number has been disconnected....

:rhappy:

I don't know the exact details, but I lived pretty close to a small used store that was bought up by Djangos, so it put a computer terminal in the store. That was pretty nice. Then a year later it went under. Two years after that, 3 more used CD stores in the neighborhood went under.

All Second Hand Tunes outlets closed (most outlets were sold to other folks who changed names, etc.) - EXCEPT for one, in Evanston. It is a great store. The owner is a personal friend of mine and it continues to thrive. Yes, there are indie stores that still exist and are weathering the storm, but we are lucky in Chicago.

All Second Hand Tunes outlets closed (most outlets were sold to other folks who changed names, etc.) - EXCEPT for one, in Evanston. It is a great store. The owner is a personal friend of mine and it continues to thrive. Yes, there are indie stores that still exist and are weathering the storm, but we are lucky in Chicago.

Is that the one on/near Dempster? I spent a few scarce bucks there while in grad school...

Is that the one on/near Dempster? I spent a few scarce bucks there while in grad school...

Not sure. I guess there is one used CD store still around Dempster and another one closer to Noyes. I don't go to either, but drop in at the Dr. Wax on Davis a fair bit.