BYG Actuel Series

Vincent, Paris

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must respectfully dissent on this. OTHER AFTERNOONS is a great record, imo.

It is at least very, very good. I have a habit of losing concentration on other Lyons dates (may be my flaw, but real).

My "very, very good" qualification is 'cause I don't think he ever made the "best" recording in him.

...better to stick with the Black Saints, Hat Huts and the Ayler box.

Must respectfully dissent on this. OTHER AFTERNOONS is a great record, imo.

Totally agreee!

One of the major scandal in jazz recordings is the lack of attention that Jimmy Lyons got from the US labels, big or small. Not a single one bothered to give him a leader's date while he was still around!

And the new issues still come from outside the USA!

Late as ever but another vote for Other Afternoons. I haven't heard it in a long time (Anyone help me there?) but I prefer it to pretty much everything else I've ever heard from him including the classic stuff with Taylor.

How is the Ayler box? Worth the outlay?

I thought Brandon told you to get the Coursil like a year ago!

He did. (I said "OK.") But my resistance to authority kicked in at the time. ^_^

Then I finally realized that if I wanted to hear more Arthur Jones (what little there is on record), I'd better capitulate.

:rhappy:

• 1 year later...

After I collect my thoughts, I will post about this too. I was a CBS employee at the time and I know one of the guys got away with $75,000.

this was a very interesting thread! i really enjoyed the don cherry (MU).

chuck - hopefully you have collected your thoughts by now! i am curious to hear the story!!

:excited:

Instead of the Paul Bley, or even one of the AEC albums, I wish Universal France would have reissued Arthur Jones' Scorpio in the new Free America line. The one track I have ("Brother B") is something else — I keep coming back to it. Is the rest of the album as good?

So has Scorpio ever been issued on cd??

• 2 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Anybody familiar with the supposedly 24 bit remastered mini sleeve editions on Sunspots label? Have these BYG/Actuel albums ever sounded good on CD? Most of the recordings I have sound brittle, but I couldn't resist the new Charly Art Ensemble 3-fer, and Shepp Yasmina/Malcolm CDs when I spotted them this past weekend in a local store.

Edited by starthrower