BYG Actuel Series

Vincent, Paris

Most original BYG/Jazz Actuel records were pressed on inferior vinyl. Some titles have serious mastering issues. That being said, I quite like the raw, direct and loud sound of many of these recordings.

Actually, I would recommend going for original pressings. Most titles of the Jazz Actuel series saw several (sometimes many) pressings in the 1969-1972 period (e.g., black "BIEM" label, black "Sacem" label, large Buddha logo label). As a result, they're not really rare or expensive. I assume you're living in Europe. If you don't insist on first pressings, you can still find lots of used copies for about 20 to 30 euro.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

What I liked about the OG BYGs were the hyper-laminated uber thin cardboard jackets. Anybody who boots these things needs to get that element perfectly right or else just stay home with it.

With the saran wrap peeling off the cover!

IIRC, some of the original BYGs had no lip on the vinyl - it was perfectly flat.  Made it easy for the tonearm to slide off the record!

No-lip is TOTALLY OG as far as LPs go. They only got added for people who stacked them on changers. Don't ask me why they didn't do it for 78s earlier. probably because LPs were at some point considered "fancy" or an "investment" to be "protected". Maybe?