Mozart Edition: Complete Works

mjzee

as i argued wrt to Stravinsky conducting himself, this is a false economy, both in terms of music qua music & appreciation. at least there there was some "historical" quality, tho' how much merit it has is waaaaaaaaaay open to debate. here, yr dropping a goodly# of bones & there are at least a 1/3 you don't want & will never listen to except out of duty. do yourself a favor, hit the library, buy used vinyl & then decide what works interest you... THEN come back & ask teh elder don clementine which Giovanni, which piano concertos, which symphony's 29-40 etc. there are a # of other options even on the budget end-- & nothing so hot here that you can rationalize, like, well, i'm paying for 10 discs & getting 160 (!!) free.

THE TROOF!!

Agree, unless you need the cds for Shooting Gallery.

I'm not a fan of such boxes - you get a lot of music and/or interpretations you don't like.

Rather get yourself the 17 CDs with the complete symphonies by the Academy of Ancient Music conducted by Christopher Hogwood, Ronald Brautigam's complete piano music, or Siegbert Rampe's (which is in single volumes and more expensive), and go further from that point, step by step.

I'll dissent because I have all three boxes (Bach, Mozart and Beethoven) and am enjoying them. I admittedly have just scratched the surface. I also own the 40 disc Ellington and it certainly is the best value I ever got. I feel like the differences are more along the lines of quibbles, I actually owned the Guarnieri Beethoven late quartets long before I bought the 85 disc box, and that's how I got to know the music. The opportunity to impulsively pick through rarities like Beethoven's mandolin works appeals to me, I quite enjoyed those. There's too much in here that I was never going to buy unless I bought it this way, and I'm glad to have it. I'm not likely to do enough concentrated listening to multiple interpretations to cause me discomfort in listening to what's in the box.

I've always had completist tendencies. Your mileage may vary.

I used to be a completist, now I am oriented to dig my already big collection.

That's my new outlook as well. Initially it was forced upon me by financial problems, but now I'm comfortable with not freaking out about OOP discs, limited editions, boxed sets, etc. Life's too short...I'd rather enjoy what I have than stress about what I don't.

I've got pieces of the Mozart set, will probably never get the whole thing. You can always tell when a smaller CD set is part of this because it'll say "Complete Mozart Edition" in the Philips stripe at the top, and on the spine. For instance, I got the String Quartets box (8 discs) because I found it relatively cheap. For the three-disc String Quintets box they used my favorite performances of these works, so I was happy to get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have this, or has heard this, and has comments/opinions?

[

Amazon.fr sells it for around 100$, I intend buying it after seing a review on French television.

Apparently most of the performances are first class, and so is the sound.

Originally "Brilliant" selling target was 9000 they are now close to have sold 200.000 Mozart boxes which is a records if one consider that a std classical cd sells between 10 and 15 thousands.

I believe that the Bach box (155 cds ) is also excellent.

At 60 cents a cd, one cannot go wrong.