John Coates, Jr.

mjzee

I had a very enjoyable double-LP on Omnisound, solo piano by John Coates, Jr. named "In The Open Space." Very melodic and thoughtful. I know he's been around for awhile, and is said to have influenced the young Keith Jarrett. I see that he's had some subsequent releases on Pacific Street Records (www.pacificstrecords.com), but I haven't heard any of them. Any thoughts on this artist?

Guest Bill Barton

Back in the 1970s he released quite a number of albums on Omnisound, including the one you mentioned. I was quite taken with his playing at that time but haven't really heard anything since then. Not having any of his records in my own collection, I have to rely on somewhat vague memories of vinyl from several different radio stations where I worked during this era.

I also had the chance to hear him live in the late 1970s under less than ideal circumstances. It was at a rather noisy bar/restaurant, and he was playing quite introspective solo piano music. As I recall, I was sitting less than a foot from the piano and still had trouble hearing what he was doing. At several points I literally stuck my head under the lid, one ear cocked at the soundboard. He's definitely a talented player.

Here's an interesting article I found when I Googled his name.

Anybody have Portrait , the date he did for Savoy when he was a teenager ?

I do.

Always on the lookout for obscurities (outside the trodden big-name paths) of jazz of the 40s and 50s, I bought it a couple of years ago when "Savoy Jazz" Japanese CD reissues were available rather cheaply at Zweitausendeins.

Stylewise, the "Brubeck connection" may be correct - for better or worse, meaning that some who are into a much more precussive approach to modern jazz piano of that era might blame him for sounding too cocktail-ish at times. Not really my point of view, but then again I've always had a soft spot for piano trios from that era, and this disc makes for nice after-hours piano jazz, much like the recordings by Paul Smith, Barbara Carroll, and others.

Coates lives in the Delaware Water Gap, PA area and is still active. I saw him perform a couple of years ago at one of the annual COTA (Celebration of the Arts) festivals which are held there every September. He gave a marvelous solo performance, mature and powerful and beautiful.

• 11 years later...

Thanks for bumping this thread.  In the past year, I found a used copy of Tokyo Concert, but I know there's a lot more out there.  Interesting Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coates_Jr.

and an appreciation here: https://jazzpromoservices.com/jazz-news/local-jazz-pianist-john-coates-jr-dies-at-79-news-the-times-tribune/