• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 13 years later...
6 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

Lockjaw!

I have the Pablo album Lockjaw with OP-Trio. Well I bought it  because I wanted to hear Jaws. OP is quite ok, though I like another Pablo album Jaws with the Tommy Flanagan trio more, since Flanagan is one of the best pianists of his time. He doesn´t exagerate his tehnical abilities  like OP  and nevertheless has a fantastic tehnique, and really tells a story when he is soloing and also is great in comping other soloists. 

My favourite OP album is "In Tune" with the Singers Unlimited, not because I´m such a big fan of Unlimited, and my discography of vocals is quite scarce, but because it was en vogue in my youth and OP does not cover everything, he is more subdued here so I can enjoy the sound more . 

But as I have mentioned in my VSOP thread, there were different "fan-groups" during my teenage years and early twen years, when I was most involved in the scene: One minority was the 100% OP fans, but they were not so much present in the joints were jazz was played.

There was a Jazz LP-lovers circle who met once the month and  one evening someone had invited me and there they had also gentleman around 50,  named "Hans" and every phrase he spoke started and ended with Oscar Peterson. He would not have tolerated other opinios.

But one thing is interesting: Most OP-Fans were just fans, not musicians. 

Edited by Gheorghe