Morton Feldman

7/4

Seems like there is a new version of String Quartet (1979) on Hat. There are already two previous versions out, Naxos and Koch.

hat(now)ART 167

Morton Feldman

Ives Ensemble

String Quartett

Total time 76:57, DDD, Barcode: 752156016724

The string quartet has a special place in classical music, second in importance among ensembles only to the orchestra.The string quartet repertoire is rich, ranging from the 18th and 19th century Classicists and Romantics—Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, and Schubert most prominently—to Modernists of the past century—Bartok, Shostakovich, and Milhaud among the most prolific and respected. Even iconoclasts like Schönberg, Berg, Babbitt, and Carter confirmed a connection to the tradition and created works which adhered to the formal logic and dramatic ambience of those of their predecessors while incorporating their own compositional procedures. But there have been exceptions as well, extremist composers who rejected the genre outright, or distorted it beyond recognition. Morton Feldman fits into the latter category...or does he? — Art Lange

167b.gif

Edited by 7/4

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Forthcoming Recordings

I think the major news is all the Hat Hut reissues that are coming out.

ART 4-154 For Philip Guston (reissue of ART CD 4-6104)

ART 155 Trio (reissue of ART CD 6195)

ART 156 Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello (reissue of ART CD 6158)

ART 157 Clarinet and String Quartet (reissue of ART CD 6166)

I already own the original releases.

Seems like there is a new version of String Quartet (1979) on Hat. There are already two previous versions out, Naxos and Koch.

The Naxos is a licensed version of the Koch recording. It's the same thing. I wish I'd remembered that when I bought the Naxos version.

mfmasottin02.jpg

I think Music for the Rothko Chapel is one of the most beautiful pieces of the post war modern era.

Yes indeed.

I once almost married a girl because we had the opportunity to get married in the Rothko Chapel.

Doesn't seem like a very bright move...good thing you changed your mind.

Edited by 7/4

I once almost married a girl because we had the opportunity to get married in the Rothko Chapel.

My wife and I seriously considered that as well (in fact, it was the first place we immediately thought of when we started planning our wedding), but ultimately opted for another venue. It's not terribly difficult to arrange if you have some flexibility in scheduling, but they have a limit on the number of guests that they'll allow inside at once, which turned out to be the dealbreaker for us.

I've never heard Music for the Rothko Chapel, but this thread has gotten me curious enough to seek it out.

Edited by Dave Garrett

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Feldman's String Quartet No. 2 is available from MODE as a regular CD, or as a high-res DVD audio disc. This quartet clocks in at over six hours. The story goes that the performers considered using catheters before the session, but instead opted to limit their fluid intake before the recording.

Feldman's String Quartet No. 2 is available from MODE as a regular CD, or as a high-res DVD audio disc. This quartet clocks in at over six hours. The story goes that the performers considered using catheters before the session, but instead opted to limit their fluid intake before the recording.

ooooh, sexy.

since it's a recording, they could also assemble it in the studio. they didn't have to record it all at once.

since it's a recording, they could also assemble it in the studio. they didn't have to record it all at once.

For live performances, they could sit on toilets.

On a serious note, the piece "For Stefan Wolpe" is really nice. The MODE releases "Composing By Numbers" and "The Indeterminate Music" are my two favorites for intense listening, or just relaxing.

Feldman went through an indeterminate phase of composing, and later through-composed every note.