Venuti/Lang in "Running Low"

Ron S

This one is going to be a tough call for me, especially with all the Mile sets going OOP simultaneously.

What is the general feeling about this set? I'm not too familiar with the material, but 8CDs of it strikes me as maybe a bit of overkill?

Oh it is, yet the compilations don't give enough (or at least for me.) I went with overkill during one of the sales and am very happy I did. I think there's a bit more diversity in sound in this set compared to Bix/Tram/Tea set, if it's fair to compare early sets. The sound quality is terrific given the age - in some cases startling so, and most of the discs aren't overloaded with alternates either, so many can be put in the player without any extra setup & played for enjoyment's sake rather than "study."

Oh oh oh... I thought the Hodges may be next to run out... I guess this one's another that times out, rather than sells out? As I'm getting more and more into earlier jazz (that means for me, anything pre-bop), I might end up buying this... I've enjoyed the Mildred Bailey very much, the Berigan was good, too... the Bix/Tram/Tea I will definitely get when it goes OOP, but with the Lang/Venuti I was never really sure...

I just decided to skip that one... or rather not buy it now, if it's still around by end of January I might re-consider, but I printed out the discography yesterday and from looking at it, I thought I could happily live on without getting this one... maybe a wrong decision, but then, hey, I got to eat, too!

Had this one a while, it's a good one, but then they all (almost all) are......my current hieracy of personal preference of some older Mosaic sets. (don't have the Bix set)

1. Lionel Hampton

2 Duke Small Group

3. Venuti/Lang

4. Chu Berry ( Cab's fault)

they are all excellent but if the building were burning etc....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Venuti/Lang set is gone.

Did anyone have a set # anywhere near the halfway point?

The number of mine was at #2149. I bought early February when it went into "Last Chance". \

Do they sell them randomly or is this an indication that they only sold around half?

As far as the music goes some of it is very good, but I got tired of much of the pop vocal numbers and I hated the final 30 minutes of the set with the belching and what not. : )

I think this is an indication that they only sold about half.

As I have preordered all the pre-bop sets since the Bailey I have very little idea of what the numbering looks like months or years later. . . . But it's my impression from reading that they time out about halfway through the numerical run.