Lester Young/Count Basie Mosaic Announced!

Ron S

Classic Columbia OKeh & Vocalion Lester Young with Count Basie (1936-1940) 4 CDs

The year 2008 will bring Mosaic's first set to focus on the great Lester Young. The early recordings of this innovative tenor saxophonist are essential to any jazz collection. During the Swing Era, the timbre of his horn and his unorthodox solo concept were a welcome and completely fresh approach to a new school of jazz improvisation. In this four disc set,Mosaic has gathered all of Pres' solo efforts made with Count Basie in a series of classic recordings from the Columbia family of labels.

In addition to all the Basie small group and big band sessions with Pres's solos, we have included the Glenn Hardman Hammond Five date and a Benny Goodman sextet session with Basie, Charlie Christian and Buck Clayton that went unreleased until they were literally salvaged from a garbage can some 25 years later.

But the real news here is that there are thirteen previously unissued alternate takes by the Basie band with Pres, recently discovered in the SonyBMG vaults!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/genres.asp?dept=50

Edited by Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. This is not meat and potatos for me, though I'm well aware of the significance of these recordings, and have a few on a cheapo comp.

One of the things the cheapo does for me is give me a cross section of Basie from that period - crap, interesting stuff and music to blow you away - and this is good. Would this compilation be too one-sided, I ask myself.

MG

Assuming this is the Goodman session (which it seems to be), Mosaic describes it as a sextet, but it's actually an octet:

28 October 1940

New York Adlib Blues

Charlie's Dream

I Never Knew

Lester's Dream

Wholly Cats

Clarinet: Benny Goodman

Piano: Count Basie

Guitar: Charlie Christian, Freddy Green

Bass: Walter Page

Drums: Jo Jones

Trumpet: Buck Clayton

Tenor Sax: Lester Young

http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/hansen/Charlie/ccdisc.htm#GUEST

EDIT: However, this session is included in the Charlie Christian "The Genius of the Electric Guitar" box (and perhaps elsewhere), and is also described there as a sextet. :wacko: Maybe Mosaic decided that, given the gunked-up discs in Sony's horrendous packaging of the Christian box, this session deserves another chance. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ron S

There will be presumably a lot of over lap with the Sony 4CD set America's No 1 Band. The post 1940s material and the live airshots presumably won't be on the Mosaic set. Were there Basie sessions of this period (1936-40) that didn't feature Lester ? Or will this be like the Chu set where Mosaic only included tracks where Berry soloed ?

There will be presumably a lot of over lap with the Sony 4CD set America's No 1 Band. The post 1940s material and the live airshots presumably won't be on the Mosaic set. Were there Basie sessions of this period (1936-40) that didn't feature Lester ? Or will this be like the Chu set where Mosaic only included tracks where Berry soloed ?

I don't have the time to check the discographies right now, but my guess is that four discs should about have enough space to hold the complete sessions from those years - remember that Basie was with Decca until early (I think) 1938, so only after that he was regularly doing big band sessions for Columbia... on the other hand, it's stated above that "every solo effort" will be contained... it would be too bad if they'd omit those big band titles where Pres doesn't solo, but from that quote that seems to be the case rather than not... on the other hand, Pres often soloed, and often he also embellished the ensemble parts, so to me it would be a stupid decision to omit the titles without Pres solos. Anyway, I guess we'll know once they'll put up a discography.

As for overlap with the Sony box, yes, I guess the Mosaic set will contain all the small group dates with Prez (disc 1, #1-10) and of course the big band studio sides (disc 2, #9 - disc 3, #2). So it's not *that* much, and disc 4 is still essential!

Including the Hardman date isn't so great, that one's already on various discs (I have it three times, I think), and the Goodman date - it's glorious! - is of course on the Charlie Christian box done by Sony some years ago.

So after all, it will be a so-so box, even more so if it omits the big band sides without solos by Lester Young!

Or will this be like the Chu set where Mosaic only included tracks where Berry soloed ?

Does this answer the question?

In this four disc set,Mosaic has gathered all of Pres' solo efforts made with Count Basie in a series of classic recordings from the Columbia family of labels.

In addition to all the Basie small group and big band sessions with Pres's solos, ...