Lester Young/Count Basie Mosaic Announced!

Ron S

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Diagonal Noise Enhancement maximizes the volume of whatever comes out of diagonal horns. :)

Schoenberg will be an interesting read, I'm sure. It would have been kind of nice to get Michael Brooks to do the notes again. I really enjoyed those notes the first time around for the Lester Young story, although part of it may have had to do with the very steep Lester Young learning curve that I was on at the time. I ate up every note and every letter of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just hooked up with my copy. :tup:tup:tup

The previously unreleased takes are nice to have, although there doesn't appear to be anything really major among them. That said, Pres does play some stronger stuff on the new alt of Hollywood Jump than on the known master.

My booklet came all screwed up. Most of the pages are missing, and the notes are unreadable. I assume that Mosaic will replace it.

So is sound quality a reason to buy this set?

How does it compare with sound on the HEP cds or the sound on America's #1 Band?

I confess that I have not heard the HEP cds. It sounds really good if you ask me, and what I like about it is that all the sessions share a common sound, and I think I would have to listen to eight cds that sound different from each other to listen to this material outside this set.

In comparison to the Columbia box set "America's #1 Band" I'd say this sounds a bit darker, mellower.

Well it looks like this one might not be around too long, it's already on backorder;

Due to higher than anticipated demand this set is on backorder. Expected in stock April 14th.

Good for Mosaic.

Is it back in stock yet? I've yet to receive a shipping notification.

I got a shipping notification today. So it's back.

Just hooked up with my copy. :tup:tup:tup

The previously unreleased takes are nice to have, although there doesn't appear to be anything really major among them. That said, Pres does play some stronger stuff on the new alt of Hollywood Jump than on the known master.

Any more opinions on the quality of the 13 new alternates?

So is sound quality a reason to buy this set?

How does it compare with sound on the HEP cds or the sound on America's #1 Band?

I confess that I have not heard the HEP cds. It sounds really good if you ask me, and what I like about it is that all the sessions share a common sound, and I think I would have to listen to eight cds that sound different from each other to listen to this material outside this set.

In comparison to the Columbia box set "America's #1 Band" I'd say this sounds a bit darker, mellower.

Thanks Lon,

By the way, the HEP cds were mastered by J.R.T. Davies

• 3 months later...

The Lester Young/Count Basie Sessions is on back order, again. :excited::excited::excited:

Mosaic Website.

The number I had was pretty high, considering this just came out. This might be one of the few sets that actually sells out rather than times out. How many of those were there? Does anyone know?

5,000. What number is yours?

A bit under 2000. What I meant was how many Mosaic sets -- if any -- actually sold out rather than timed out.

A bit under 2000. What I meant was how many Mosaic sets -- if any -- actually sold out rather than timed out.

Of the recent ones I'm fairly certain the Ellington Reprise and Mulligan Concert Band sets sold out rather than timed out. Perhaps this should be a separate thread.