Time for the post I didn't want to write.

Time for the post I’d hoped I wouldn’t have to write. I know others here have gone through this, but of course, it’s a completely different thing when it’s you, right? Anyway, the wife and I have called it quits. No big fights or anything; but she (isn’t that always the way?) decided that things “just weren’t working out.” So, it’s back to the single life for me. This was decided a while ago, but I didn't feel right bringing it up before Christmas; who needs a bummer at that time of year?

The house is hers, and I’m having to move out. (We got together late in life, so I'm not leaving with much more than my medical bills.) I'll be leaving here around the ninth or tenth of January, so I'll be without computer access for a while.,

As far as what happens next, I just don’t know. I just can’t see staying in Louisiana; the only reason I came down here was because of her. (Hey; doesn’t this sound familiar? Maybe I should move to Philadelphia!) Right now the most likely plan involves moving to Oregon. I have family there, and it would be nice to see mountains again.

This isn’t a plea for sympathy, by the way; I’ve just found myself in the awkward situation of realizing that my best friends are a bunch of people I’ve never met on some internet bulletin board, so who else am I going to tell? I’d be embarrassed at how sad that sounds, but since it’s this board, I guess it’s okay. (Mind you, a little sympathy wouldn't be rejected! ;) )

Strange...I never thought it would happen to me. Famous last words, eh?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, sorry to hear about this! It appears several on the board have gone through similar situations so you'll probably get some good advice.

Oregon sounds like a nice place to re-locate to...plus there are a few board members in the area you could meet in the flesh.......well. maybe not in the flesh :mellow: .

Hang in there dude... these things usually happen for a reason and work out for the best.

m~

Edited by sheldonm

Sorry to hear that Moose. I suck at these things; I have a hard time saying anything that isn't super-cliched (it's got to be rough,it will probably stay that way for a while but I'm sure you'll be okay... (I do genuinely think those things but feel silly wiriting it)) so I will leave it to others to say anything intelligent and useful.

If I were you I would focus on getting out of LA. Weather aside, OR is really nice. I've put in some years there and still miss aspects of it. Something about the place just seems well-suited to getting a fresh start. I know in Portland the people are very approachable and it's easy to meet new people quickly; perhaps that is it.

Anyway, best of luck.

Man, that sucks Mark! :( It's strange how often this sort of thing happens when people move to please their spouse. Oregon is cool country for sure(At least my Mom said it was, since she was born there) The best way to look at it, is you can go anywhere you want now! Best of luck! :tup

Really don't know why, but this joke popped in my mind for some reason. My want to file it away for the future. ;)

Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house. - Lewis Grizzard

Sorry to hear about this, man. But as someone who got separated in 2005 and divorced in 2006, and whose life is incomparably better now than when I was married to my ex-wife, please know that there is hope for the future--I definitely know how hard it is to see that possibility when you're in the middle of splitting up.

If you haven't done so yet, I really cannot recommend highly enough that you find yourself a good therapist. It helped me immeasurably, and I recommend it to anyone who tells me they are going through a divorce.

When things were first falling apart in my marriage, and I'd started seeing my therapist, one of my oldest, best friends called out of the blue, and I told him what was going on. My ex-wife had plenty of "issues", and so I said to him, "It's pretty ironic that of the two of us, I'm the one in therapy." He said, "No, not at all. Because it's just logical to get help when you need it. And of the two of you, you're the one who's being logical."

Anyway, best of luck to you.

I'm sorry for your current problem Mark, but have no doubts you will move on and have a much better future.

Can't say I blame you for not wanting to stay in Pineville. I would have been gone before she even finished the "it's not you, it's me" bit. ;)

In all seriousness, best of luck in your move wherever that may be. :tup