"Art Blakey: Class of '57"

ghost of miles

1957 was a prolific year for Art Blakey, the volcanic drummer and leader of the Jazz Messengers. The Messengers were one of jazz’s most-noted and longest-running collectives, and young musicians such as Freddie Hubbard, Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Woody Shaw, Keith Jarrett, and Wynton Marsalis all pulled tours of duty with the group, sometimes called “the hardbop academy.” Its bop-and-funk-driven history stretches from the late 1940s to the beginning of the 1990s; the lesser-known 1957 edition included saxophonists Jackie McLean and Johnny Griffin, as well as trumpeter Bill Hardman, whose chemistry with McLean one writer described as “beautiful, tart…their brash, peppery tones created a distinctive front-line sound.”

Blakey recorded a myriad of albums in 1957 for various labels, including Columbia, Bethlehem, RCA, and Pacific Jazz, resulting in one of his most diverse years on record. We’ll hear music from eight different LPs, including the Messengers’ collaboration with Thelonious Monk, the three-horn Night in Tunisia date, one of Blakey’s percussion/rhythm numbers, and two “Jazz-Messengers-plus” sides that venture into the realm of Blakey big-band. Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers: Class Of '57 airs Saturday evening, Dec. 29 at 11:05 p.m. on WFIU. It will be posted for online listening Monday morning in the preceding link and in the Night Lights archives.

Next week: "Moodsville 2."

Edited by ghost of miles

Alright, I am NOT missing this one!!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for those of us who want to listen live on the web, the starting time for each US time zone is:

11:05 pm eastern time

10:05 pm central time

9:05 pm mountain time

8:05 pm western (pacific) time

Like I said, I am NOT missing this one! I want to make sure I'm by the computer at the right time!

Those times should be right, Al. Sir, your enthusiasm is neither unnoticed nor unappreciated! :rhappy: If by any chance you do miss it, I'll probably be archiving it sometime tomorrow... it's not airing on Blue Lake (they broadcast an earlier, somewhat-shorter, fund-drive edition of the program).

Edited by ghost of miles

DRAT! Bad enough I fell asleep during the Pats-Giants game (yeah, I was really that tired), but I've already missed 75% of the show! Oh well, back to the archives I guess and finish listening to the live broadcast. It's on "Cubano Chant."

OH boy! Now the Blakey big-band tunes are coming up! Woo hoo!!!

its true, he recorded for a myriad of labels in '57

Here's a sample of leader dates in 1957

The Jazz Messengers Featuring Art Blakey - Ritual,(Pacific Jazz PJ 15)

Art Blakey - Hard Bop (Columbia CL 1040)

Art Blakey - Drum Suite (Columbia CL 1002)

Art Blakey - Orgy In Rhythm, Vol. 1 (Blue Note BLP 1554, BST 81554)

Art Blakey - Selections From Lerner And Loewe's (Vik LAK 1103)

Art Blakey - Tough! (Cadet LP 4049)

Art Blakey - Theory Of Art (RCA Bluebird 6126-1-RB)

Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia (Vik LAX 1115)

Art Blakey And His Jazz Messengers With Sabu And A Bongo - Cu-Bop (Jubilee JLP 1049)

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk - Jazz Connection (Atlantic LP 1278, SD 1278)

Art Blakey - Hard Drive (Bethlehem BCP 6023)

Art Blakey Big Band (Bethlehem BCP 6027)

its true, he recorded for a myriad of labels in '57

Here's a sample of leader dates in 1957

The Jazz Messengers Featuring Art Blakey - Ritual,(Pacific Jazz PJ 15)

Art Blakey - Hard Bop (Columbia CL 1040)

Art Blakey - Drum Suite (Columbia CL 1002)

Art Blakey - Orgy In Rhythm, Vol. 1 (Blue Note BLP 1554, BST 81554)

Art Blakey - Selections From Lerner And Loewe's (Vik LAK 1103)

Art Blakey - Tough! (Cadet LP 4049)

Art Blakey - Theory Of Art (RCA Bluebird 6126-1-RB)

Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia (Vik LAX 1115)

Art Blakey And His Jazz Messengers With Sabu And A Bongo - Cu-Bop (Jubilee JLP 1049)

Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk - Jazz Connection (Atlantic LP 1278, SD 1278)

Art Blakey - Hard Drive (Bethlehem BCP 6023)

Art Blakey Big Band (Bethlehem BCP 6027)

Thanks for posting that list, Marcello--I tried to tap as many of those albums as I could.

Big Al, the show is archived.

Edited by ghost of miles

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...