African Music

baptizum

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually not bad either, since some are double cds , from my experience stuff out of the hit parade in Europe and UK is rather expensive, was expecting something like 15 to 20 pounds so for me the prices were a pleasant suprise , what will make the deal breaker is the quote for shipping.

Edited by Van Basten II

The Soundway releases have good liners and packaging and filled with music so at least in the states where they are priced reasonably I never thought about it.

Most of their stuff is also on e-music for those looking to sample some of it on the cheap.

I have yet to hear either of the new releases but have been spending lots of time with the their last Ghana Special release.

Nigeria Afrobeat Special - CD

Ghana Soundz - CD Album (SNDWCD001)

Nigeria Rock Special - CD Album (SNDWCD011)

Nigeria Special Volume 2 - CD Album (SNDWCD020)

Ghana Special - Double CD Album (SNDW016)

Nigeria Special - Double CD Album (SNDWCD009)

All this for less than £60 ,postage included , looks good to me

• 3 weeks later...

I am throwing together a comp to turn friends on to all of this great 70's African music on Shout, Analog Africa and Soundways.

A little taste below with youtube links:

Blo-Chant To Mother Earth –

Christy Azuma & Uppers International - Din Ya Sugri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I3xunlbTqQ

Gnonnas Pedro et ses Dadjes- Dadje Von O Von Non

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyTBxw2Ec-A

The Don Issac Ezekiel Combination – Amalinja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXuuU5Ufk4

Mono Mono - Ema Kowa Iasa Ile Wa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the road at the moment with Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics. VERY cool chatting to Mulatu about Ethiopian jazz, and African music, more generally...am learning a great deal! And fun gigs too!

Playing Athens tonight...although we could be here for a while if the volcanic ash doesn't shift airspaces!

Wow, sounds like a great gig! I love the new Mulatu record - Mulatu Steps Ahead.

Hopefully the volcanic ash and planes being grounded don't disrupt the tour too much, worst places to be stuck than Athens.

Let us know how things go.

Was beautiful, thanks! Unfortunately horrid sound on this clip, but here's an excerpt from Saturday's hit... I'm sorry to say I didn't catch the dancer's name (she 'sat in' unplanned), but I gather she's quite well known...

Great to play some of Mulatu's classics...Yekermo Sew, Netsanet, Dewel, etc.

Trip back was - uh - interesting. Almost precisely 56 hours door-to-door...taxi, bus, ferry, train, car, you name it...

• 4 weeks later...

On the road at the moment with Mulatu Astatke and the Heliocentrics. VERY cool chatting to Mulatu about Ethiopian jazz, and African music, more generally...am learning a great deal! And fun gigs too!

Playing Athens tonight...although we could be here for a while if the volcanic ash doesn't shift airspaces!

Wow, sounds like a great gig! I love the new Mulatu record - Mulatu Steps Ahead.

Hopefully the volcanic ash and planes being grounded don't disrupt the tour too much, worst places to be stuck than Athens.

Have just got back from a gig in Poland with Mulatu's new band - this was our first gig...in Norway, Italy, France, Holland, and Finland soon...

We're actually playing a few of the tunes from 'Mulatu Steps Ahead'...really great stuff! Have to say, this is a really fun band...and wonderful to be having the opportunity to play in some lovely places! A nice line-up too, with a kora in the mix!

Have just got back from a gig in Poland with Mulatu's new band - this was our first gig...in Norway, Italy, France, Holland, and Finland soon...

We're actually playing a few of the tunes from 'Mulatu Steps Ahead'...really great stuff! Have to say, this is a really fun band...and wonderful to be having the opportunity to play in some lovely places! A nice line-up too, with a kora in the mix!

That sounds great Alexander. Do you plan a unique performance in France? Strasbourg looks a little too far!

• 1 month later...

Yep, the worse about it is that I already knew that, my bad, to my discharge his cd was in the African section of the cd store which created this brain cramp, might as well keep it there as I doubt we start a thread about Indigenous australian music

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 weeks later...