African Music

baptizum

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got hold of the Luaka Bop William Onyeabor box set with all his 9 albums on which I am thoroughly enjoying. Some of it sounds like a more accessible Talking Heads Remain In Light and the Moog analogue synthesizer and disco stuff is a delight. Very accessible pop-disco-funkĀ from a one off individual.

• 5 months later...

Listening to the first disc of Zaire 74 The African Artists, so far performances by Tabu LeyĀ Rochereau, Abumba Masakini, and Abetti--CD is fantastic, and very well recorded

Second disc has Franco, Miriam Makeba, and Orchestra Stukas. I can't wait to hear it.Ā 

Produced by Hugh Masekela from Live Concerts recorded before the Rumble in the Jungle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNPWQLP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On Disc 2, the Franco performance (the majority of the dice) is quite fine, comparable to the quality of disc 1.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by kh1958

• 3 months later...

Lately, in order to escape domestic politics, I've abandoned the U.S. news channels for the BBC News. Generally, I'm liking it much better; excellent reporting, a broader range of stories, and more interesting than the U.S. news. Tonight I stumbled across Africa Beat, a twenty minute show with brief portraits of three African musicians. A wonderful show, and I loved one of the musicians (Aziza Brahim). This would never happen on a U.S. channel.Ā 

Edited by kh1958

Was listening to BBC 3 World on 3 program, when I heard a track off of Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes From the Horn of Africa.Ā  The track was Rag Waa Nacab Iyo Nasteexo by Aamina Camaari.Ā  I really liked that, but I can't speak to the rest of the CD.Ā  Anyhow, my library has ordered the Sweet As Broken Dates CD, so hopefully before too long I can listen to the rest.

4 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Was listening to BBC 3 World on 3 program, when I heard a track off of Sweet As Broken Dates: Lost Somali Tapes From the Horn of Africa.Ā  The track was Rag Waa Nacab Iyo Nasteexo by Aamina Camaari.Ā  I really liked that, but I can't speak to the rest of the CD.Ā  Anyhow, my library has ordered the Sweet As Broken Dates CD, so hopefully before too long I can listen to the rest.

I have Sweet as Broken Dates--an anthology where I like just about every track.

• 8 months later...

Ā 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/brexit-musicians-refuse-perform-uk-visa-process-womad-festival-chris-smith-a8464431.html

Musicians refusing to perform in UK due to 'humiliating' post-Brexit vote visa process and right-wing politicians, says Womad festival organiser

Ā 

Chris Smith described the situation as something Britain should be 'ashamed of'

Ā 

ā€œWeā€™ve had situations where, say, an African artist has been due to come who plays a particularly rare instrument, and weā€™ll be asked: ā€˜Canā€™t you find someone in the UK who plays that instrument?ā€™, which is absurd.ā€œ

Ā 

Ā 

59 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Ā 

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/brexit-musicians-refuse-perform-uk-visa-process-womad-festival-chris-smith-a8464431.html

Musicians refusing to perform in UK due to 'humiliating' post-Brexit vote visa process and right-wing politicians, says Womad festival organiser

Ā 

Chris Smith described the situation as something Britain should be 'ashamed of'

Ā 

ā€œWeā€™ve had situations where, say, an African artist has been due to come who plays a particularly rare instrument, and weā€™ll be asked: ā€˜Canā€™t you find someone in the UK who plays that instrument?ā€™, which is absurd.ā€œ

Ā 

Ā 

There was a similar dynamic going of in the UK for a long time with jazz musicians, that's why you had all the cats playing Ronny Scott's as singles with local accompaniment, and Duke back in the day only being able to bring his groups as "variety acts".

IIRC, that was driven my the musicians union though, a labor-based protectionism. Nothing to do with visas and the like. But the basic notion of "can't you find one of our ownĀ to do it" is not a new one when it comes to music.

• 5 months later...

The New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival has always featured World music, often from Africa.

The 2018 festival featured three African bands: Jupiter and Okwess (Democratic Republic of the Congo), Sona Jobarteh (Gambia), and Sidi Toure (Mali). It was a thrill and a treasure to hear these three terrific bands in person. Now the 2019 festival line-up is out and there are four African bands this year. Please pardon my excitement.

Jupiter and Okwess returns, appearing on two days of the festival (and at Tipitina's).

In addition, there is Niger guitaristĀ Mdou Moctar.

And Ivory Coast vocalist Dobet Gnahore (two performances).

Finally, Diassing Kunda, from Senegal. I can't find out anything about the lastĀ band on the internet, except for one brief cellphone video on youtube. Anyone know of them?

• 2 months later...

The volume of live African music that is available in Texas and the adjoining state (Louisiana) over the next few months is rather surprising and unprecedented. I hope to see as much as possible.

April 20: Mokoomba from Zimbabwe at some place called the Swayz Ballroom, a couple of miles from my house. WTF?

April 25, 26, 27 and 28, : Mdou Moctar from Niger in Austin, at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and the International Music Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana.

April 25, 26, 27 and 28: Dobet Gnahore from the Ivory Coast,Ā at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, and the International Music Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana

April 26 and 27: Diassing Kunda from Senegal,Ā at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 26: Jess Sa Bi and Peter One of the Ivory Coast inĀ Marfa

April 27 and 28:Ā GirmaĀ Beyene & Akale Wube fromĀ Ethiopia atĀ the International Music Festival in Lafayette, Louisiana

May 4 and 5: Jupiter and Okwess from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 31 and June 1: Vieux Farka Toure from Mali in Houston and Austin

September 12 and 14: Tinariwen from Mali in Dallas and HoustonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by kh1958

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Fucking awful and par for the course these days.Ā  That kind of hate has always existed, as any student of American or human history will know, but now it's got variousĀ social-media platforms and a certain current leader (cough, cough) to enable, embody, and empower it.Ā  Denouncing this kind of crap and mentality shouldn't be considered "political," but a large minority of the country either condones it, believes it, or does nothing to stop or condemn it.Ā Ā 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

An interview with Tony Allen in the Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/mar/19/tony-allen-afrobeats-master-on-hugh-masekela-damon-albarn-and-friction-with-fela-kuti

It pointed me to a recording that he and Hugh Masekela did back in 2010, Rejoice, which has just been released for the first time today, wherever you buy or more likely stream music.

nyet716-314-2020-042710-jpg.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...