African Music

baptizum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2020 at 3:29 AM, mjazzg said:

Recommended to me by a friend who follows African music a lot closer than me, I thought this is a terrific album

Alhousseini Anivolli & Girum Mezmur - Afropentatonism

Thanks for this recommendation; I investigated and liked it; so it is on order.

6 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Thanks for this recommendation; I investigated and liked it; so it is on order.

I'm pleased you're enjoying it

A new song release by Jupiter and Okwess, off of an upcoming new album, is cause for celebration.

That is fantastic, thanks for posting. It scares me how much great music there's out there that I have no idea about. I'll certainly be making the acquaintance of Jupiter and Okwess.

• 1 month later...

Digging a bit deeper into what is available on iTunes.  Not everything, but sometimes it feels close.

There are at least 7 albums (and 2 best of compilations) by the Devera Ngwena Jazz Band and 20+ albums by Thomas Mapfumo, as well as 20+ albums by Leonard Dembo and Barura Express.

I am just working my way through these albums and can't really make any clear recommendations right now but am digging them.  It appears all these artists are from Zimbabwe, which is why they all sort of clustered in the recommendations.  I was aware of Mapfumo before, but not the other two groups.

His knowledge is missed. 

Agreed.  His contributions were always welcome.

One interesting finding on iTunes, there are actually two versions of "Singles Collection" by Leonard Dembo and Barura Express.  One is sort of a continuous mix where the tracks are clipped short and butt up against each other (fairly choppily in the sense they aren't actually mixed together), and the other has more traditional breaks between the tracks (and is 7 minutes longer!).  I personally prefer the latter, but I can see how one might want to throw the continuous mix on for a party.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Zamrock: Psychedelic rock from Zambia in the early 1970s. Only lasted a few years. Few survivors due to the AIDs epidemic. Recovered from utter obscurity by reissues on the Now Again label.

image.jpeg.84ae84a75e024db2120121721190cb11.jpegimage.jpeg.7a5b01821b24cfd3f3eec19d1f7b3045.jpeg

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Whoa! I've never heard of Witch before

8 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Zamrock: Psychedelic rock from Zambia in the early 1970s. Only lasted a few years. Few survivors due to the AIDs epidemic. Recovered from utter obscurity by reissues on the Now Again label.

image.jpeg.84ae84a75e024db2120121721190cb11.jpegimage.jpeg.7a5b01821b24cfd3f3eec19d1f7b3045.jpeg

Thanks. I watched the short documentary and did some further digging. Really interesting sound, sometimes I find the rock element a bit too dominant but more often the fusion works.

It obviously sounds very different to some of the Tuareg bands but does put me in mind of them for some reason 

6 hours ago, Eric said:

Hmmm, how have I missed this thread for 16 years?  😍

It's a treasure trove, thanks almost entirely to @kh1958

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Excited to have the chance to hear live a trio of great African bands in the spring:

Fatoumata Diawara (Big Ears Festival)

Mokoomba (New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival)

Oumou Sangare (New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival)