African Music

baptizum

Ok, I want this: Africa at 78 rpm 4 CDs of African music rescued from 78s and put on CD for the first time. Price is a little steep (around $50), but not completely outrageous. Currently listening to a podcast with a few of the cuts to see just how revelatory this actually is -- and whether I can hold off for a while.

Ok, having listened to 4 out of 100 of the tracks, this is really quite important from a musicological perspective, but probably wouldn't be something I would listen to for pleasure often (unlike the massive Africa 50 years of music boxset). So I am definitely going to hold off for a while and see if the price drops.

I have this box set since a couple a months ago and this is a really worthwhile box set, beautiful packaging again by Dust-To-Digital. And so much great music that you can listen to it for pleasure at any time of day.

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheikh Lo will be touring the U.S. in April.

http://www.songkick.com/artists/278871-cheikh-lo

I saw him in 1997 in St Louis, Senegal and he was DYNAMIC!!!!!

I saw him a couple of years later (shortly after 'Mbeddemi' came out) at the Barbican, London, and he was weak as gnat's pee. I suspect he makes records specially for white people (as they say out there).

MG

I saw him a couple of years later (shortly after 'Mbeddemi' came out) at the Barbican, London, and he was weak as gnat's pee. I suspect he makes records specially for white people (as they say out there).

I'm sure you're right. I don't care for his Western releases and hope that someday I'll be able to locate some of his "local" recordings.

I'm sure you're right. I don't care for his Western releases and hope that someday I'll be able to locate some of his "local" recordings.

There were only two:

Doxandeme - Audio Video K7

Dieufdieul - Audio Video K7

Audio Video was owned by French rock guitarist Robert Lahoud and made about 17 interesting releases, unusually for Senegal with catalogue numbers.

The two Cheikh Lo K7s were reissued on CD in France on the Sono label in 1999, in association (for some reason) with Syllart.

His subsequent albums have been recorded by Jololi, Youssou N'dour's company, and have been released on CD in Europe/US by labels like World Circuit. The first, 'Ne la thiass' includes some rerecordings from the Audio Video albums, but they're not as dynamic. Dieufdieul, by the way, is the album referred to in the sleeve note of the CD of 'Ne la thiass' as not having been issued. Oh well, for that.

MG

This is excellent:

guelewar~~~_hallelind_101b.jpg

Most interesting. I need to get that but can't read the title very well.

Guelewar was one of the most important bands in the period in which Mbalax was developing. Like Ifang Bondi, it was a Gambian band, not a Senegalese band. The original lead singer of Guelewar was Moussa Ngom, who later became one of the lead singers (with Omar Pene and Mamadou Maiga - another Gambian I believe) of Super Diamono, after Ismael Lo left that band. He and Maiga were edged out by Omar Pene, who renamed the band Omar Pene & Super Diamono. Ngom and Maiga were always my favourite vocalists from this period of Super Diamono's life. Both had solo careers and made good albums afterwards, but I haven't heard anything since 2007.

When was that album you've posted recorded?

MG

Good to see you again MG: Looking forward to more recommendations from you. :)

One album I have ordered recently and am waiting for to arrive:

Traveling Through The Jungle - Negro Fife And Drum Band Music From The Deep South

50855.jpg

Not quite African, but very close to there.

Got this some days ago, another winner compilation.

Music From Saharan Cell Phones

3927325369-1.jpg

MG

Should be excellent, with Moussa Ngom vocals. Could you mention the title, which I can't read, please. A track list would help, too, please, because I have a couple from around then already.

MG

Halleli N'Dakarou is the album title

Titles listed from DG:

Titles include "Yaye Ramoutoulaye", "Bala Jigi", "Tara", "Sanehmentereng", "Ouvaryea", "Halleli N'Dakarou N'Diaye", "Cilss", "President Jawara-Abdou Diouf", "Cheddo" and "Werr Tullali Barr".

Traveling Through The Jungle - Negro Fife And Drum Band Music From The Deep South

50855.jpg

Jeffcrom has quite a lot of that material, but I don't think he reads this thread. Jog his elbow.

MG

MG

Should be excellent, with Moussa Ngom vocals. Could you mention the title, which I can't read, please. A track list would help, too, please, because I have a couple from around then already.

MG

Halleli N'Dakarou is the album title

Titles listed from DG:

Titles include "Yaye Ramoutoulaye", "Bala Jigi", "Tara", "Sanehmentereng", "Ouvaryea", "Halleli N'Dakarou N'Diaye", "Cilss", "President Jawara-Abdou Diouf", "Cheddo" and "Werr Tullali Barr".

I recognise some of those track titles, but not all. Will have to czeck in detail later. Thanks very much.

MG

This is exceptional:

51L6mxe1HtL._SS400_.jpg

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Well, actally, effin' wunnerful!

And the sleeve isn't bad. Recorded by the Mali Kunkan label in about 1980.

MG

50855.jpg

Jeffcrom has quite a lot of that material, but I don't think he reads this thread. Jog his elbow.

MG

Of course I read this thread! I just don't often have much to add.

Yes, I have almost every issued recording of Southern black fife and drum music that I'm aware of. It's amazing music which affects me deeply every time I hear it. I'm less confident than I used to be about the connection between this music and West African music - I was way more sure about it when I knew less; my ignorance gave me confidence. But it's hard to hear "Emmaline, Take Your Time," played on the four-note quills (panpipes) interspersed with falsetto whoops, and not feel that this music has a strong connection to Africa. (That track is on Traveling Through the Jungle.)

Part of what makes less willing to connect the seemingly "primitive" fife and drum music of the Mississippi hill country to African music is the extent to which the music has become simpler over the past 70 years. The 1942 recordings by Sid Hemphill's fife and drum band on the above album are more complex, at least in the fife playing, that the Young Brothers' recordings, made for Alan Lomax in 1959. And the much-beloved Othar Turner's fife playing (recorded examples exist from the 1960's to 2002) is even simpler. Listening uncritically, most people would say that Othar's music sounds "closer to Africa" than Sid Hemphill's.

In any case, it's amazing music, like I said. If you like Traveling Through the Jungle, check out the Lomax recordings of the Young Brothers - I've got the OOP Atlantic box set Southern Journey, but I'm sure that stuff has been reissued on Mississippi and elsewhere. And check out Othar Turner, and his granddaughter Sharde Thomas, who is keeping the tradition alive in Mississippi.

Edited by jeffcrom

A nice addition to the library:

lijadusiste_danger~~~_101b.jpg

Reminds me of Althea and Donna, a female reggae duo in Jamaica with a killer backup band. This is similar, but Afrobeat style instead.

bamba_sorry_sorrybamb_101b.jpg

Ordered this from da bastids, can't wait to hear the music!

I love Althea & Donna, so that's a ringing endorsement.

I'm listening to this one now:

ghana-special_web.jpg

The music on all these Soundways comps communicate joy as well as any music I've ever heard. It just feels good. :cool:

Got an e-mail from Sterns with a pre-release offer on this one.

stcd3060-61.jpg

Kouyate Sory Kandia (as he's always been known professionally) was one of THE great voices of the twentieth century. This 2 CD compilation includes a lot of very great stuff he recorded for Syliphone.

However, you can get EVERYTHING he recorded on Syliphone, as a leader, not as a member of Les Ballets Africaines, on 3 Syllart CDs, all of which are available on e-music.

I've ordered the new issue, despite having all the Syllart CDs, simply for the 40 page sleeve note, probably by Graeme Counsel.

The pre-release sale lasts until 16 Feb, if you want a set for a tenner (sterling).

MG

stcd3060-61.jpg

Kouyate Sory Kandia (as he's always been known professionally) was one of THE great voices of the twentieth century. This 2 CD compilation includes a lot of very great stuff he recorded for Syliphone.

However, you can get EVERYTHING he recorded on Syliphone, as a leader, not as a member of Les Ballets Africaines, on 3 Syllart CDs, all of which are available on e-music.

I've ordered the new issue, despite having all the Syllart CDs, simply for the 40 page sleeve note, probably by Graeme Counsel.

The pre-release sale lasts until 16 Feb, if you want a set for a tenner (sterling).

MG

Thanks for the recommendation, will like to check out this. Is he related to Kandia? (Also a great album).

10000374.jpg

Edited by jostber

stcd3060-61.jpg

MG

Thanks for the recommendation, will like to check out this. Is he related to Kandia? (Also a great album).

10000374.jpg

No, he's from Guinee Conakry, she's from Mali. I have the feeling she may be related to Batourou Sekou Kouyate, the #1 kora player of his generation, who plays most of the material on the 'Cordes anciennes' album, which I think is still available on CD in France. He was closely associated with Sidiki Diabate, also on that album. And she recorded in the late 80s with Sidiki, on his LP 'Ba togoma', which i don't think is available any more.

MG

There's a lengthy interview with Kandia Kouyate on Afropop.org - can'rt recall if she mentioned any connections to Batourou Sekou Kouyate, but it's certainly possible.

Afropop's interface has been overhauled (sort of), and it's not nearly as easy to find archived material there as it used to be. Will post a link to the interview if I can find it.

Interview: http://www.afropop.org/multi/interview/ID/29/

Bio (long): http://www.afropop.org/explore/artist_info/ID/638/Kandia%20Kouyat%C3%A9/

I'm sure that either Banning Eyre (of Afropop) or Lucy Duran would be able to track down the info.

MG, I am so there on Ghanian and Nigerian highlife! :)