African Music

baptizum

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fantastic--a spirit lifting concert. The Winspear Opera House is a beautiful facility. This being Dallas, it was not sold out (maybe about 60% full); but most of the crowd was standing for the entire two hour concert, with the front of the hall being jammed with people. It was not the usual opera house crowd behavior, I don't think.

There were two guitarists, bass guitar, four drummer/percussionists, two keyboard players, one saxophonist, and two backup singers along with Youssou N'Dour, whose voice was awesome.

I picked up a couple of CDs of the group; Bercy 2013 is excellent and was representative of the sound of the concert.

Shockingly, there are actually two more opportunities to see live African music in the following months--Tinarewen will be playing at the Granada Theater in November, and Rokia Traore will be in San Antonio early next year.

Edited by kh1958

Shockingly, there are actually two more opportunities to see live African music in the following months--Tinarewen will be playing at the Granada Theater in November, and Rokia Traore will be in San Antonio early next year.

I've managed to see Tinarewan twice in Chicago. Both shows were fantastic. I wonder if they will make a swing through Canada on this upcoming tour.

These are the North American concerts listed on their website:

09 NOVEMBER 2014 – AUSTIN (TX), US : FUN FUN FUN FEST BUY TICKETS
07 NOVEMBER 2014 – HOUSTON (TX), US : THE STUDIO AT WAREHOUSE LIVE BUY TICKETS
06 NOVEMBER 2014 – DALLAS (TX), US : GRANADA THEATER BUY TICKETS
03 NOVEMBER 2014 – SANTA FE (NM), US : SKYLIGHT BUY TICKETS
02 NOVEMBER 2014 – FLAGSTAFF (AZ), US : ORPHEUM THEATER BUY TICKETS
01 NOVEMBER 2014 – TUCSON (AZ), US : 191 TOOLE BUY TICKETS

30 OCTOBER 2014 – BIG SUR (CA), US : LOMA VISTA GARDENS BUY TICKETS
29 OCTOBER 2014 – NAPA (CA), US : CITY WINERY BUY TICKETS
28 OCTOBER 2014 – ARCATA (CA), US : JOHN VAN DUZER THEATRE BUY TICKETS
27 OCTOBER 2014 – SAN FRANCISCO (CA), US : THE CHAPEL BUY TICKETS
26 OCTOBER 2014 – SANTA BARBARA (CA), US : CAMPBELL HALL UCSB BUY TICKETS
25 OCTOBER 2014 – LOS ANGELES (CA), US : LUCKMAN FINE ARTS COMPLEX BUY TICKETS
22 OCTOBER 2014 – SOLANA BEACH (CA), US : BELLY UP BUY TICKETS
21 OCTOBER 2014 – LAS VEGAS (NV), US : THE BUNKHOUSE BUY TICKETS
18 OCTOBER 2014 – POMONA (CA), US : MOON BLOCK PARTY BUY TICKETS

I guess they really don't like the cold. :D Well, maybe next year they'll do another summer tour.

I guess they really don't like the cold. :D Well, maybe next year they'll do another summer tour.

Either that or they really like the American version of Mexican food!

Looks like they're headlining on all those dates (or at least the ones I spot-checked) with the exception of Austin's Fun Fun Fun fest and the Houston date, where they're the opening act for Yann Tiersen.

• 1 month later...

The Dallas Tinariwen concert was extremely enjoyable. Excellent sound at the Granada Theater. Attendance was a little light (I'm guessing about 125-150 people).

On the subject of fabulous CDs, this one from Mali in 1977, reissued by Kindred Spirits, has been commanding a lot of listens: L'orchestre Sidi Yassi de Kayes

http://www.amazon.com/LOrchestre-Sidi-Yassa-Kayes-Vinyl/dp/B00HV3ME8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415853944&sr=8-1&keywords=sidi+yassa

New York Times Travel article regarding resurgent live Ethio-jazz scene in Ethiopia.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/16/travel/in-ethiopias-capital-a-resurgent-jazz-scene.html?_r=0

In the reissue department, from 1977, Hailu Mergia and the Wallas Band (Awesome Tapes from Africa) is a fantastic instrumental album. Anyone who likes Mulatu Astatke (he's on some of the tracks) and the Ethiopiques series will enjoy this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Tche-Belew-Hailu-Mergia-Walias/dp/B00MXG1YDQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1416159237&sr=1-1&keywords=Hailu+Mergia

Edited by kh1958

The Dallas Tinariwen concert was extremely enjoyable. Excellent sound at the Granada Theater. Attendance was a little light (I'm guessing about 125-150 people).

On the subject of fabulous CDs, this one from Mali in 1977, reissued by Kindred Spirits, has been commanding a lot of listens: L'orchestre Sidi Yassi de Kayes

http://www.amazon.com/LOrchestre-Sidi-Yassa-Kayes-Vinyl/dp/B00HV3ME8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415853944&sr=8-1&keywords=sidi+yassa

Tried looking for this - can't get it on download, from Amazon, iTunes or MeMusic. Space for new CDs almost exhausted. I'll wait until someone puts it on DL.

MG

Kindred Spirits is on a Mali reissue roll--another superb issue... Le Kene-Star De Sikasso (1977).

http://www.amazon.com/Kene-Star-Sikasso/dp/B00L3Q4C0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416494338&sr=8-2&keywords=Le+Kene-star+de+sikasso

To amend my comments, the first side of the LP is three tracks, and all three are fantastic cuts. The second side is a single long track, with very fine instrumental passages, but also there are aspects that are very local--it's a storytelling type of track, with lots of dialogue and vocal imitations of the female voice--I probably won't listen to the side 2 track more than a couple of times. The first side is prime material, however.

Edited by kh1958

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kindred Spirits is on a Mali reissue roll--another superb issue... Le Kene-Star De Sikasso (1977).

http://www.amazon.com/Kene-Star-Sikasso/dp/B00L3Q4C0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1416494338&sr=8-2&keywords=Le+Kene-star+de+sikasso

To amend my comments, the first side of the LP is three tracks, and all three are fantastic cuts. The second side is a single long track, with very fine instrumental passages, but also there are aspects that are very local--it's a storytelling type of track, with lots of dialogue and vocal imitations of the female voice--I probably won't listen to the side 2 track more than a couple of times. The first side is prime material, however.

I've got that on a K7, and I love BOTH sides - of course, I don't understand a word of it.

I wish Kindred Spirits would reissue the Barenreiter Musicaphon albums from 1970, by most of the bands that later recorded for Mali Kunkan, like Kene Star Sikasso. The Malian Government owns the copyright to all of them and the 1970 material is very ACE!

MG

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone has any recommendation for reading up the history of african music?

I have this here in my shopping cart at the moment:

412sWpfk4BL.jpg

would enjoy other recommendations (and if anyone knows Steward's book, feedback about it, too), also ones with broader scope ...

• 2 weeks later...

This year has been a bit frustrating on the live African music front, as I was planning on seeing both Rokia Traore and King Sunny Ade and their concerts were cancelled.

So far I've only seen Vieux Farka Toure at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. 

Now I'm excited to have the opportunity to see Vieux Farka Toure again, along with Uganda's Kinobe, at the Wobeon Music Fest in Austin.

http://wobeonfest.com/2015-headliner-announce

Has anyone had interesting live music experiences this year with African music?

I could have had ... but I usually opt for the jazz concerts and have thus missed several potentially great African musicians, not just this year (but I did catch Tony Allen a few years ago). Coming up in the first days of October are Hindi Zahra and Bassekou Kouyaté ... within two days, so I might miss out on one (or both, as again there's too much going on at the same time - another two days before there's Bebel Gilberto ... and few days later Natacha Atlas - and then probably nothing until late November).

• 3 months later...

New release on the Teranga Beat label; I really enjoyed volume 1.

dieuf-dieul-type-for-web_v2.jpg

Released 30 October 2015 on 2LP Collector's Ltd Edition 300 copies, 2LP Deluxe Edition, CD & Digital

dieuf-dieul-vol2-front-cover-for-bd.jpg

TERANGΑ BEAT proudly presents DIEUF-DIEUL de Thiès in their second volume album. This multi-talented band demonstrates on this album its ability to cross over different kinds of music, from Mbalax to Afro-Cuban and Afro-Jazz ballads without loosing any tip from its original Psychedelic Sound with the fuzz guitars, strong horn sections and percussion, which gave to the band this unique identity.

Five out of seven overall tracks feature Bassirou Sarr, a truly exceptional singer. Whether in a ballad or some explosive Mbalax, Bassirou's voice is always full of emotion. One of the two remaining tunes, a great latin cover sung by Assane Camara, shows how good performers Dieuf-Dieul actually were and finally one powerful Mbalax track sung by the great Griot Gora Mbaye, displaying his strong links to the tradition of Senegal.

On this Vol.2 we proudly present the rest of their recorded tracks from the same session as the one featured on Vol.1 plus three tracks from a totally lost recording they did back in 1981. The double LP comes out in two editions, 300 limited copies on Silkscreen print cover with a large poster and the rest copies with a standard gatefold cover, both editions including an MP3 download code. CD with a 20 page booklet including photos and liner notes outlining the amazing story of this lost treasure.

Delighted to announce that Dieuf-Dieul are back together after 32 years, preparing for their first international tour not only to prove that their fame was not an urban legend. Enjoy!

Tracks:
1. Ariyo 
2. Am Sa Waye
3. Rumba Para Parejas
4. Jirim
5. Nianky
6. Sidy Ndiaye
7. Raki

• 3 months later...