African Music

baptizum

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about him being the Hendrix of the kora, but just bought the album it is quite good, a nice balance of groove, ryhthm and great melodies, maybe purists will think of him as a watered down version of the "real stuff" but it is still enjoyable fare that people who don't listen to this kind of music can relate and appreciate wihout being lost.

That "Hendrix of the kora" biz was cooked up by publicists. He is good, but he's not the only kora player to have done plugged-in work - Toumani Diabate has played with a pickup, and so has Mory Kante. (See Banning Eyre's In Griot Time for more info.; there should also be some material about this on the Afropop Worldwide site.) * Note: Banning's book appears to be o.p. in the US, but the asking price on Amazon.com is insanely high. I'd try abebooks.com, or else write directly to Banning - he should have some copies for sale.

Edited to add: Just for fun, I Googled the phrase "Hendrix of the kora" (no quotes) and found that it's applied to virtually every African kora players who's performed in the UK, the US and Canada. ;)

Edited by seeline

• 2 weeks later...

Found these two suckers at the used cd store, put them in my will buy later collection, had not the time to listen yo them at the store but since i don't see this stuff often , i did not want to leave them on the shelves and watch them gone next visit. Now, here's my question know next to nothing about these, what's your opinion about it.

5183Q8YQVDL._SS500_.jpg

Here's the track list

1. Oscar Sulley And The Uhuru Dance Band - Olufeme

2. Joe Mensah - Africa Is Home

3. Ebo Taylor Jnr And Wuta Wazuri - Mondo Soul Funky

4. Ebo Taylor - Atwer Abroba

5. The Sweet Talks - Kye Kye Pe Aware

6. The Ogyatanaa Show Band - Disco Africa

7. The Apagya Show Band - Tamfo Nyi Ekyir

8. K Frimpong And Vis A Vis - Aboagyewaa

9. The Uhuru Dance Band - Agbadza

10. Uppers Chapter 2 - Samarin Bolga

11. The African Brothers - Sakatumbe

12. Marijata - No Condition Is Permanent

13. Christy Azuma And Uppers International - Naam

and this

418FCz39OsL._SS400_.jpg

They're both good, although I have mixed feelings about reissues like these, because the compilers have chosen music that's not really representative of most of what was going on in W. African pop music at the time. They seem to want to focus on cuts that will have immediate appeal to American audiences.

Too bad, really, because there's a lot of nifty material out there that they're overlooking. You can find some examples on these blogs:

http://wrldsrv.blogspot.com/

http://likembe.blogspot.com/

http://www.voanews.com/english/Africa/blog/ - lots of fantastic stuff here, from the Voice of America archives

http://mattgy.net/music/

http://matsuli.blogspot.com/

* For a taste of contemporary Ghanian pop, you might check out King Ayisoba's MySpace page (for starters). Not sure why his album hasn't gotten much press, because he's really good!

Found...at the used cd store....what's your opinion...

418FCz39OsL._SS400_.jpg

I recently picked this up via Amazon for full whack.

I can relate to where seeline is coming from, but I like this one alot. Plenty of interesting electric guitar playing- varying degrees of 70's rock influences; some nice horns and strong African percussion. There are several standout tracks and overall strong 75 minutes of music.

Next up:

African Scream Contest

Edited by riverrat

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think Ghana Soundz 1 & 2 are great. I've gotten most of these compilations like Nigeria 70 etc. Anyway, it's nice to see that Sterns is putting many of their offerings on eMusic. I've picked up Bembeya Jazz and Balla et Ses Balladins (both collections called The Syliphone Years). I have a 2 CD collection of early Franco on deck, and something else I've forgetten. What they don't seem to have at eMusic is this: Authenticite

stcd3025-26.jpg

I went ahead and bought this, but haven't had time to listen to it.

I also managed to snag an all-but-brand new copy of Darkest Light - The Best of Lafayette Afro Rock Band from Reckless at a good price. As I am going through the liner, it says these guys recorded an album with Mal Waldron called "Candy Girl," which never was officially released. Anyone happen to hear it? Is it one of those things that make you curse stupid record label execs, or is it not all that?

Finally, while trying to find Afro Super Feelings, I found an interesting podcast (well two, but Jumping the Gap seems sort of off-line)-- Radio Freetown: http://wfmu.org/playlists/RF

It looks like it is just getting off the ground as a podcast, so there are only 3 to download at the moment, but you can listen to a bunch of the old shows here. I'm going to subscribe to the podcast for a while and see how it goes.

Mamadou Diabaté is an incredible player - haven't heard all of this disc, but I've really enjoyed his older recordings...

I've been listening to this and loving it -

spapus.jpg

Sinaly "Papus" Diabate - Kara Bara (Hard Work)

"Mali Music: Mande songs, master drummers from Les Ballets Maliens, balafon, African violin, Mali guitar..."

there's one kinda negligible "crossover" cut, but the rest is beautiful - great singers, wonderful balafon and guitar, super-tight percussion orchestra (well, "small ensemble," maybe). CD Baby is the only source for the disc (AFAIK) - MP3 can also be downloaded at Emusic.com.

• 6 months later...

My next two African purchases will be

stcd3031-32.jpg

Keletigui & ses Tambourinis was one of the greatest of the Mandinke big bands of Guinea Conakry and made the first album to be issued on the Syliphone label. Keletigui Traore, a sax player who led the band, was one of the musicians who formed the first Mandinke big band, Syli Orchestre National, in 1959. Keletigui et ses Tambourinis was created in the early sixties, having originally been called “Orchestre de la Pailotte”, which was formed from

“L’Orchestre de la Bonne Auberge” and “La Formation Kerfala Camara Tamborini”. (This was some time before Bembeya Jazz became a National band. Keletigui (who died last November) was one of the most important musicians in Guinea. The band continues, even after Keletigui's death, to play at "La Pailotte".

The Sterns album (issued in Britain in July and almost certainly in Europe soon after) is a 2 CD compilation similar to the three Syliphone compilations Sterns have already issued:

Authenticite

Bembeya Jazz National - The Syliphone years

Balla & ses Balladins - The Syliphone years

All have copious and very well researched and informed sleeve notes by Graeme Counsel, an Aussie DJ who has been given the highest civilian award by the government of Guinea for his work in researching these recordings.

And the music!

Well, I've got to say that I don't know yet :) Graeme has - wonderfully - selected 32 tracks of which I have only three (I think) on the two Keletigui albums I've got. But this was a great band, there's no doubt about it.

The other LP (if I can find it) will be

keletig.jpg

This was the first LP made by Keletigui's band under their new name. Earlier recordings were made as Orchestre de la Pailotte. Graeme reviewd this LP on his Radio Africa site and recently added a note to say that it was being reissued on CD by Gunther Gretz on Popular African Music. He also put a link there to buy it but I've tried it and it takes me to some general German site and I can't find Gretz' stuff. I've e-mailed him to ask how to get the CD, which isn't on Amazon UK, and, when I find out, I'll post details. Graeme didn't include any of this album in the 2CD Sterns compilation.

This is a wonderful band and, if you like this kind of stuff, it's pretty well as good as it gets.

MG

• 3 weeks later...

Gunther Gretz' label POpular African Music didn't reissue the Keletigui & se Tambourinis album, it turns out. But he does sell the CD reissued by Bolibana retail. So I've got it now.

keletig.jpg

He also had this one in stock, so I sprang for it, too.

Keletigui,%20front.jpg

Both albums are superb. And I think Graeme Council excluded all the tracks from them from his Sterns compilation I referred to earlier (which I haven't got yet).

The Bolibana CDs are pretty expensive from Gunther Gretz - 17 euro each and the postage (to UK) is 3 euro for up to 3cds. But, oh boy, they're worth it!

If you're interested, Gunther can be e-mailed at

pamffm@t-online.de

He accepts payment by PayPal.

MG

Gunther Gretz' label POpular African Music didn't reissue the Keletigui & se Tambourinis album, it turns out. But he does sell the CD reissued by Bolibana retail. So I've got it now.

keletig.jpg

He also had this one in stock, so I sprang for it, too.

Keletigui,%20front.jpg

Both albums are superb. And I think Graeme Council excluded all the tracks from them from his Sterns compilation I referred to earlier (which I haven't got yet).

The Bolibana CDs are pretty expensive from Gunther Gretz - 17 euro each and the postage (to UK) is 3 euro for up to 3cds. But, oh boy, they're worth it!

If you're interested, Gunther can be e-mailed at

pamffm@t-online.de

He accepts payment by PayPal.

MG

Here's a little video of one of my favourites, Moussa Ngom

Moussa is probably the most sucessful contemporary musician from the Gambia. The original lead singer with the Guelewaar Jazz Band and a founder member of The Super Eagles, he was one of the early lead vocalists with Super Diamono, in the eighties, with Ismael Lo, Mamadou Maiga and Omar Pene. Lo left early to pursue a solo career, and Pene edged the other two out in the early nineties (a shame, because I greatly preferred their voices to his).

MG

Picked up the Keletigui & ses Tambourinis double disc set from DG. I've enjoyed these reissues, and hope for more!

Also bought from DG:

dibang_manu_makossama_101b.jpg

One of the better compilations of Dibango's work, 2 discs! However, I am haunted by an Atlantic lp with him on it (was is Soul Makossa?) and it had a kick ass afro funk tune that to this day I have not seen on any compilation. It was a blue cover with him on it.......... I had it once, then sold it long ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of ordering some more South African music (mostly jazz related, but I still feel this thread is fitting better than the ZA Jazz one) - here's what I have on my kalahari.net wishlist - any comments?

Elite Swingsters/Dolly Rathebe - Woza

Elite Swingsters/Dolly Rathebe - A Call for Peace

McCoy Mrubata - Phosa Ngasemwa

Basil Coetzee - Monwabisi

Basil Coetzee - B

African Jazz Pioneers - Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival

African Jazz Pioneers - Afrika Vukani

Linda Kekana - Kodumela

Linda Kekana - I Am An African

The Best of Allen Kwela (Sheer Sound)

I am aware of MG's endorsements of both Linda Kekana discs, and I'm familiar with the African Jazz Pioneers, Mrubata and Coetzee (though I only know him as a Dollar Brand sideman so far). And I definitely have the stray Elite Swingsters and/or Rathebe cut on compilations.

I'm thinking of ordering some more South African music (mostly jazz related, but I still feel this thread is fitting better than the ZA Jazz one) - here's what I have on my kalahari.net wishlist - any comments?

Elite Swingsters/Dolly Rathebe - Woza

Elite Swingsters/Dolly Rathebe - A Call for Peace

McCoy Mrubata - Phosa Ngasemwa

Basil Coetzee - Monwabisi

Basil Coetzee - B

African Jazz Pioneers - Live at the Montreux Jazz Festival

African Jazz Pioneers - Afrika Vukani

Linda Kekana - Kodumela

Linda Kekana - I Am An African

The Best of Allen Kwela (Sheer Sound)

I am aware of MG's endorsements of both Linda Kekana discs, and I'm familiar with the African Jazz Pioneers, Mrubata and Coetzee (though I only know him as a Dollar Brand sideman so far). And I definitely have the stray Elite Swingsters and/or Rathebe cut on compilations.

I have a McCoy Mrubata album - "Firebird" on Jive Jazz. Dated 1989. It's OK, but not that OK. He may have improved over the last 20 years, however.

"Monwabisi" is splendid. I don't know "B". Perhaps I should get an order together myself :) Next year, I think.

"Woza" is most enjoyable.

MG

Thanks Allan! Will wait a few days (hoping their discount will still be valid) and make up my mind. I forgot that I also have the "Jazz Epistles" disc on my wishlist... hoping it contains the few titles that the Camden/KAZ "Jazz in Africa, Vol 1 - The Jazz Epistles" omitted (didn't check yet).

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping up for more African Music recommendations, I've been really enjoying the Analog Africa and Sterns reissues of 70's vintage stuff...do you experts have any more recs in that vein?

Also, I've been checking into the large Ethiopiques issue series. Which ones should I start with? There seem to be at least 20..

Edited by riverrat