concerts we are ashamed to admit we attended

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two comments:

1) Lots of people now blaming girlfriends/wives for their questionable musical decisions. :lol:

2) Why the hatred for Jarrett and Corea? Hardly "embarrassing" musicians unless maybe catching Corea during a bad fusion show.

My first (& most embarrassing) was a band I loathed, almost as much as Styx. But I made an agreement with 2 freshman friends that the first show that came to Assembly Hall next to our dorm that 2 of the 3 agreed to see I'd go too.

For 26 years it was a shameful thing to admit, but thanks to the Sopranos instead some people actually envy me. Suckers!

Journey.

Don't stop, bee-leave-in', whoa oo oo oo oo...

Cultural revisionism can be nutty.

Two comments:

1) Lots of people now blaming girlfriends/wives for their questionable musical decisions. :lol:

2) Why the hatred for Jarrett and Corea? Hardly "embarrassing" musicians unless maybe catching Corea during a bad fusion show.

1) I'm sure the wives/girlfriends might well answer that their hubbies brought them to the most boring show ever -- Von Freeman or whatever.

2) I saw Corea a few years back with his trio (A. Cohen on the bass). I'm not embarassed but the sound system was absolutely horrible. The bass mike had horrible feedback, and he then tried to play without the mike, which didn't work either. Really disappointing. Cassandra Wilson at Carnegie Hall was also horribly miked.

herbie hancock - chicago, august 2007

(if you don't think this was cause for embarrassment, just ask mark, sal, joe segal, or jim "beehive" neumann)

I actually didn't attend this one with you guys....it was a last minute decision to skip it and just meet up with ya'll the next day. And from the multiple horror stories I've heard, I'm very glad I didn't go.

Listening to Jim Neumann describe the experience was very funny! :lol:

herbie hancock - chicago, august 2007

(if you don't think this was cause for embarrassment, just ask mark, sal, joe segal, or jim "beehive" neumann)

I actually didn't attend this one with you guys....it was a last minute decision to skip it and just meet up with ya'll the next day. And from the multiple horror stories I've heard, I'm very glad I didn't go.

Listening to Jim Neumann describe the experience was very funny! :lol:

Was there discussion here about it? I don't remember.

If not, details please! :)

EDIT: When I was on Woody's band we often would back up singers- most of them great ones like Joe Williams, Nancy Wilson, Tony Bennett, Billy Eckstine, Cab Calloway.......but once we backed up Jack Jones, Mr. Love Boat. Extremely jive- for example, he sang "Bess, you ARE my woman now" because he said he didn't like the poor grammar of the original lyric. Of course, there was the inevitable Love Boat theme. Needless to say, we were glad to get that finished and move on.

Big band HOs, we were. Definitely a career low. :lol:

Edited by Free For All

... Jack Jones, ... for example, he sang "Bess, you ARE my woman now" because he said he didn't like the poor grammar of the original lyric.

Big band HOs, we were. Definitely a career low. :lol:

:g Sounds like a fun evening.

Ho that I am, I've also had a couple: A dynamic evening backing up Tommy Tune and Joel Gray. :mellow:

And a real train wreck backing up Harry Connick......Sr. !!! Played in a pick-up version of the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, led by Chris Riddle!

Two-Thousand-seat theatre, almost sold out. As the audience began to realize that it was neither Harry, Jr. nor Nelson Riddle, they started leaving in droves. Much less than half a house after intermission. Kind of fun playing a bunch of those NR charts (instrumentals and Sinatra vocals), but pretty embarrasing beyond that.

But I guess the most embarrassing concert that I can admit to seeing is...Sheena Easton! Again, for a good looking date. That concert made me drop her fast, I shit you not. Ya gotta have standards.

Now wait a minute. If this was Sheena Easton circa "Morning Train"

takereissue.JPG

then OK, but if it was Sheena Easton when she was singing "Sugar Walls" and doing spots for a chain of gyms, then I have to say that I wouldn't have cared what she sang - I'd have dumped the date if she couldn't compare to the talent on the stage.

sheena-easton.jpg

;)

Damn! Harry Connick junior could have been embarrassing enough. :)

Tell me about it. Sr. had a career as a District Attorney in New Orleans, and is a very AMATEUR singer. Started in on some between-songs patter and it got quite surreal. I guess, as a father not wanting to "play favorites" he spent an inordinate amount of time talking about his other kids. "You know, I've got a bunch of great kids. My daughter Cheryl is a podiatrist who lives in Tucson with her terrific husband Jerry. They've given me some beautiful grandkids. Little Brittney isn't so little any more. Gosh, she's 12 already, and quite a good little ballerina! And Jerry, Jr, is about to turn 8 and is tearing up the baseball diamond. One day he might even play for the Cubs. That would give me a great reason to visit Chicago. And speaking of Chicago, Maestro, if you please..." (Cue: "Chicago") :bad:

A Megadeth concert. That wasn't the problem, the problem was the opening act, Corrosion of Conformity! What's funny, I had heard a few songs by them that seemed like decent metal(And have since the concert) but as an live act, they just were terrible! Seemed to play one song after another that sounded like the song before. And the song before sucked. I was losing my mind. Then, they brought up a local boy(From Atlanta) on stage. Looked to be around 12. Was this the next Jonny Lang? No....and they kept playing with him! :bad: I really was going to leave before Megadeth even got onstage, but kept thinking surely there would be a giant hook to pull them off the stage any minute. A few hours later they left the stage. Megadeth seemed to play with a lot of rage that night, perhaps they were angry at the band they were on the road with too!

After the night made a 180, it went back to sucking again...my car and about 100 more were towed from the lot of a Chinese restaurant. Even though it was a fairly late concert on a Sunday night. I am sure this was a very profitable venture for the restaurant and the towing company(There were no signs saying no parking for concerts there) A miracle that we didn't burn the restaurant down the to ground. We were pretty amped up. One guy said if it had been a Rage Against the Machine show we had seen, the place would be in flames! :unsure: Tow company rep would call to have cars dropped off after you paid. One guy was an ass, and they dumped his car in the middle of the road!!! I was in my Dad's car and I kept thinking I would pound this guy into the ground if anything happened to that car. So, I stared at him, and stared at him, and said nothing. I was the only guy there without long hair(This was the mid 90's)so he knew something wasn't right about me! ;) I just...kept staring at him. Next thing I knew he said in a low voice that others couldn't here that it was my lucky day, I just needed to pay $50 instead of $75 like the others. And my Dad's car was undamaged! Sometimes it pays to try to scare folks that don't seem scarable! :)

Edited by BERIGAN

Aldo Nova ("Fantasy") at Pine Knob with Blue Oyster Cult. Circa summer of 82. Oddly BOC also featured Robbie Krieger (the Doors) on guitar (for "Roadhouse Blues") and a live chopper motorcylce driven onstage for "Born to Be Wild". :blink:

Edited by Robert J

Since you're digging this so much Mr. Korean, I'll tell you what I remember:

The show was fun and short. He had a maybe a half a dozen beautiful back up singers/dancers that he made campy fun with while he talked his way through these kind of Las Vegas type disco songs.

Like a lot of these instances here, the woman at the moment was the one who wanted to see the show, and besides, what do you do in Rochester on a Tuesday night ( performers played this dinner theatre for a week or so at a time)?

Because I knew many of the guys in the pit band, we went backstage and were introduced to Telly in his dressing room (what I wouldn't do for sexy woman in those days!). He was very nice and spent most of the short time we were there making sure the girl I was with didn't eat him alive. He seemed like he was enjoying his life.

I guess this was 1974 or '75 now that I think of it because I remember seeing Sarah Vaughan at the same place in '75 there (with Percy Heath and Jimmy Cobb. On the same night at a club on the other side of town, I met Dizzy Gillespie for the first time), also Mel Torme' and the Basie Band after Basie's heart attack with Nat Pierce on piano.

But I guess the most embarrassinglconcert that I can admit to seeing is...Sheena Easton! Again, for a good looking date. That concert made me drop her fast, I shit you not. Ya gotta have standards.

Thanks for the detail. The Telly album pictured earlier in the thread is a real favorite of mine. It has that decadent, delerious, 70s Euro quality that I love.

I saw JACK JONES live and he ROCKED! He can rival Robert Plant on these heavy metal screams, I kid you not. He let out a shriek during "Our Love is Here to Stay" that frightened the codgers in the crowd.

Highlight of the show was Michel Legrand's "One at a Time," with the Legrand arrangement from the JJ/ML RCA album.

Also did Jobim's "Useless Landscape."

Edited by Teasing the Korean