What did you listen to most in 2007?

GA Russell

We've done this the past couple of years, with interesting responses. I guess what I find most interesting in the responses is that they have been quite varied and often reflect music not frequently discussed here on the forum.

So...What did you listen to the most this past year?

For me it was the vibraharp. I listened to a lot of Cal Tjader; some Terry Gibbs, Milt Jackson and Stefon Harris; and a little Bobby Hutcherson, Red Norvo and Gary Burton.

I also listened to more ECM than I have since I went on an ECM kick about 20 years ago. I expect to be listening to a lot of ECM in January.

So were there any albums or artists that you played most of all this year?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of Basie and other big bands because that music always makes me feel good. I've been enjoying "Chairman of the Board" a lot lately.

Many of my other "binges" are often based on artists being discussed here. Recently I've been fortifying my Lockjaw and OP sections.

I remember getting pretty much all the Jimmy Heath Riversides & gaining a renewed interest in 70s Miles based on discussions here.

The AEC box, the Bird & Diz, the Frank & Carl CD....thanks Chuck!

Not a vintage year for me again. Nothing really stands out but these come to mind (without giving it too much thought) as getting more than just an occasional play.

Dennis Gonzalez at Tonic (what a lovely sound this man has).

David Murray; Sacred Ground

Dave Brubeck at Wilshire Ebell

Of late, mostly Duke Ellington

Other things I listened large chuncks of:

- various OJCs (Benny Golson, Barry Harris, Teddy Edwards, Johnny Griffin etc etc)

- some of the old jazz Mosaic sets (Berigan, Bailey a.o.)

- plenty of Miles, from the first Second Quintet dates with electric instruments up to the new "On the Corner" box)

- plenty of early Charlie Parker (the Masters of Jazz series and more)

- some "Legends of Acid Jazz" discs + related material (Houston Person, Sonny Stitt, Johnny "Hammond" Smith, Shirley Scott a.o.)

and plenty of stuff I can't remember...

By a landslide, it was the blues more than any other genre this year for me.

Most significant artists, in chronological order:

Lowell Fulson

Jimmy McCracklin

Junior Parker (who I now cannot get enough of and am deeply distressed that he died so young - in the early 70s)

So were there any albums or artists that you played most of all this year?

I certainly heard a lot of great new work from Anthony Braxton this year: the Iridium 12 + 1tet box, the solo disc on Intakt, new smaller ensemble live sets that opened and closed 2007. The new trio disc from the Victorialville festival is solid throughout.

These all represent culminations and redirections of his theoretical work and, best of all, great playing by players that have emerged over the past year or so like Mary Halvorson, Jessica Pavone, and Taylor Ho Bynum . . . and Mr. Braxton sounds great himself. All the above are recommended listening and I'm sure I'll go back to them for years to come just as I went back to the Arista LPs over the past few weeks.

a lot of Coltrane and Miles, but most of all Anthony Braxton. The Iridium box set (still struggling with that one; I may never make it all the way through!), the duet with Joe Fonda that was reissued on Clean Feed (from 1995, I believe), the GTM Six Compositions box, and I've been exploring the Hatology label with the Jazz Loft's periodic sales.

As for non-jazz, I've been really enjoying the latest Neil Young Chrome Dreams II, Ryan Adams, Jay Farrar's solo catalog, and Son Volt

Guest Bill Barton

Probably Satoko Fujii takes the "most listened to" award for 2007 here.

Lots of vintage Blue Notes too: especially Hank Mobley and Tina Brooks.

Other than that it's been pretty mixed, everything from Pablo Casals playing the J.S. Bach cello suites to Tinariwen.

Not a vintage year for me again. Nothing really stands out but these come to mind (without giving it too much thought) as getting more than just an occasional play.

Dennis Gonzalez at Tonic (what a lovely sound this man has).

David Murray; Sacred Ground

Dave Brubeck at Wilshire Ebell

Overlooked Art Farmer; The Time and the Place, The lost concert on Mosaic. Best of the year for me.

Most played artists in my collection in 2007 were

1 Sonny Stitt (miles ahead due to buying the Mosaic box late last year)

2 Jimmy Smith

3 Grant Green

4 John Patton

5 Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

6 Houston Person

7 Willis Jackson

8 Rev J M Gates

9 Lonnie Smith

10 Sekouba Bambino

Most played reissue sets were

1 Sonny Stitt - Complete Roost Studio recordings - Mosaic

2 Rev J M Gates - Complete recordings vols 1-9 - Document

3 Jimmie Lunceford - Life is fine - Quadromania

4 Cab Calloway - The scat song - Quadromania

5 Various - What it is: Funk & rare grooves - Rhino

5 Johnny Dodds - Clarinet wobble - Quadromania

Most played single/double albums were

1 Rhoda Scott - Very saxy - Ahead

2 Sekouba Bambino - Ambiance ballon - Super Selection (Syllart reissue)

3 Ganda Fadiga - Alah Kouya - CK7

4 Reuben Wilson, Grant Green Jr & Bernard Purdie - Godfathers of groove - 18th & Vine

5 Thierno Koite - Ubbite - JFC

5 Luisito Quintero - Percussion madness - Vega

5 Fred Anderson - Timeless: Live at the Velvet Lounge - Delmark

A lot more exploration (via reissue sets) of older forms of music in 2007, likely to continue in 2008 :) But also I played a lot of Zouglou music, from Cote d'Ivoire. Something else I must find more of in 2008.

MG