Do You like to show off your Blue Note collection?

Tjazz

Do most people actually file record lps in alph order? Not me.

The way that individual people arrange their collections depends on what sort of collection it is.

Nobody I know arranges them according to what label they are.

I have Blue Note, Verve, Blue Bird, Joker, Plymouth, Colortone, Jazz Tone, Wing etc. etc. etc.

I don't know about most people, but I separate them into genres, then into alphabetical order, according to the main artist's last name, or the name of the band.

So, I would have for example, a classical section arranged by artist, a blues section, a flamenco section, a jazz section and so on.

Boxed sets are in a separate shelf space, arranged according to what type of music they are, similarly.

Records that are spoken word, or comedy are again in a separate shelf space.

But, I don't carelessly chuck them around like this guy is doing. :blink:

I couldn't arrange my collection as genres, you know, I strongly believe that all records are born and remain free and equal in rights, without distinction of race, religion, genres or sexual orientation. :)

A part Kenny G :g

:D

Edited by patricia

My LPs and CDs are retentively filed alphabetically by artist last name or by group name. They are then organized by earliest recording date (if known) or by release date (this means that a few titles get shuffled around when I get additional info). Titles by two artists are filed under the first artist's last name ("John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" is filed under Coltrane, "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" is filed under Ellington). I used to separate by genre, but I don't anymore (except, for some reason, for classical and holiday. Those I do file separately. They're even kept in a completely separate location from the rest of my collection. I'm not sure why).

The way that individual people arrange their collections depends on what sort of collection it is.

Nobody I know arranges them according to what label they are.

Since our old, and long absent, friend Bill Fenohr was trying to complete the entire output of many labels, I'm pretty sure that is how he organized his vast collection. Going deeper, I have no idea if he organized alphabetically or by catalog number.

I separate them by genre, and then, with occasional eccentricities, alphabetical by artist. Eccentricities are that, for example, Kouyuate Sory Kandia gets filed with the other Kouyates and Kante Manfila gets filed with the other Kantes and I sometimes ignore the differences between French and English orthographies in most African family names - and sometimes I don't :D

I prefer to separate albums by genre because it is not a matter of indifference to me whether at some point in the day I want to listen to a sermon or Mbalax or Bebop. And it's really hard to remember all those African names and identify where a certain album comes in alphabetical order. If I know it's, say, a Mbalax album I want, which I obviously do, then I have only 325 to look through, not the whole collection!

MG

My LPs and CDs are retentively filed alphabetically by artist last name or by group name. They are then organized by earliest recording date (if known) or by release date (this means that a few titles get shuffled around when I get additional info). Titles by two artists are filed under the first artist's last name ("John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman" is filed under Coltrane, "Duke Ellington and John Coltrane" is filed under Ellington). I used to separate by genre, but I don't anymore (except, for some reason, for classical and holiday. Those I do file separately. They're even kept in a completely separate location from the rest of my collection. I'm not sure why).

What would you do with the Storyville with "Bobby Brookmeyer - Zoot Sims" on the spine and "Zoot Sims and Bob Brookmeyer on the front cover? :rolleyes:

I used to separate by genre, but I don't anymore (except, for some reason, for classical and holiday. Those I do file separately. They're even kept in a completely separate location from the rest of my collection. I'm not sure why).

I understand why you would do that.

Unless you've never tried to remember who did a holiday album, or who the first artist was, if it's a compilation as many are, you keep them separate to save time at Christmas when you have other things on your mind.

Classical being separate makes sense too. If you want to listen to Bach, you don't want to be sidetracked by Bassey, Bostic, or Brubeck or.......................... ;)

Edited by patricia

I'm sure you file yours by corporate entity. I'd be curious which manufacturing country is positioned first within this system.

Well, I do try to bunch the Mosaics together which I guess would qualify as a corporate entity violation in your book, but quite honestly they aren't in any specific order...nor are the others. I just stick 'em in the stax willy nilly and pluck 'em out at random. The organization thing has never been my bag. If you don't believe it, feel free to stage a spur of the moment drop by next time you're in the area. Sure hope you won't think of me as an unorderly, unpure troglodite and try to have me expelled from the music appreciation club. :)

post-120-1199769087_thumb.jpg

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Separated by genre, then by artist, then by recording date.

Guess that sounds pretty uptight, but it lets me find things most of the time - except for the stuff I haven't gotten around to filing.

Same way I do it. Not uptight at all, just efficient.

A person almost has to figure out some sort of order if they want to know where a particular album should be, in a reasonably large collection.

Filing the albums, or re-arranging them after some thoughtless trogledyte has picked out several and put them back, just anywhere at all, gives you the opportunity to review your possible selections, or remind you of stuff you'd forgotten about.

But, I'm compulsively organized, so it follows that I would be about my records.

My books are arranged by genre and then alphabetical too. :crazy:

My books are arranged by genre and then alphabetical too. :crazy:

Oh no!

You don't meticulously organize all the shelves in the fridge and place the bacon next to the carrots next to the cauliflower next to the chives...... do ya? :ph34r:

You wound me!! :blink:

I do, however, arrange my spice bottles and canned goods according to what their use is, then alphabetically, labels to the front.

My closet is organized from black through greys on down through colours, ending with white.

What can I tell you? I like order.;)