How many JRVGs do you own?

jacknife

Weizen,

How do you know your kids will want them. Plus might the technology be outdated by then? Now for the sealed ones you have, do you have unsealed ones you listen to? I don't begrudge anyone wanting to collect these, like you and grey. But I get 'em to listen to and if I get them in some other format (like the LD Mosaic), I've sold the JRVGs. I don't buy them to collect, per se. It just seems odd to me that's all, but like I said if that's what you like and that's your hobby and makes you happy, I guess that's what counts. Of course, that is prett expensive, I would think. You got any duplicates you want to sell?

BTW, thanks to everybody for posting that. Very useful and helpful.

do you have unsealed ones you listen to?

Sure I listen to 'em. In fact, I was checking out 'Indestructible' last night and after a few spins, decided that the extra track ('It's a Long Way Down') is my favorite one on the cd.

How do you know your kids will want them?

Good question.....it's difficult for any of us to predict what exactly -- if anything -- our children will enjoy and want to keep long after we've hit the bone orchard, right? Who's to say that one's kids won't make the determination that they actually can't stand that bird's-eye maple bedroom set that mom & dad spent a small fortune to acquire and ditch it for peanuts the first chance they get so that they can then pick up some trendy stainless steel furniture? In my case, I'm pretty sure that my kids -- who've rarely not seen me up here in the study fiddling around with an lp, cassette or cd, while periodically cursing at some guy named Johnny E who resides behind the PC screen :) -- will enjoy having them. If not, I've left explicit instructions to sell the entire lot at a spectacular premium to some legendary Mosaic collector up in MA named Tod who keeps them all stacked in an oversize tropical bird aviary.

Of course, that is pretty expensive, I would think.

Well, yeah....if a guy had to drop $100 on an open copy of the 'Blue Train' JRVG over at eBay, that could get expensive mighty fast. :g;)

I dunno, there are alot of folks around here who spend wads of cash on their Nautilus speakers and various other components. Not my gig....but if they enjoy it..great!

p.s. You sell your JRVGs once you pick up a Mosaic set? Huh? Better keep the volume down on the Jets game at your place today.....I've dispatched Achtung Dr. Freud to your address and the doorbell should be ringing at any moment. :P

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I did spend a lot of money on that Blue Train, that's true. Can't deny it. I'm glad to see that you've indoctrinated, oops :P I mean, that your kids have learned to love jazz. Mine, he can tolerate it. And he accuses me of loving Bird more than him. Don't think that's true but..... :unsure::lol:

My attitude on selling JRVGs is this. Well, as an example the RVGs sound as good as the JRVGs. So if the Night at Birdland comes out on RVG and it has more songs on it than the JRVG and the sound is equally the same, plus I have limited space, which am I going to get rid of, especially if I can use the JRVG to get something else or in trade (I think that's how you got one of those JRVGs ;) ), even another JRVG? To me, it's an easy answer.

Edited by Brad

Jacknife

"What do you replace the inner sleeve with?"

I replace them with a cloth-like sleeve similiar to those that come with the VICJ mini-LP CDs. They are available from www.SoundSourceCDs.com

Alfred

"I'm looking for The Gigalo and Blues In Trinity"

Sorry, I never got your Email but I did sell a copy of The Gigalo last June and a copy of Blues In Trinity last week on this Board. Keep watching both this Board and AAJ as I will be posting more JRVGs in the future when I get a chance to sort out the duplicates.

Son-of-a-Weizen

"I also have several loaded firearms at the ready in order to repel any unwanted JRVG-prowling Organissimohumanoids --- do you???

Considering the nature of the clientele that posts on the political forum I 've found that a huge flashing picture of Donald Rumsfeld outside is sufficient to scare the hell out of them.

I have one too many : Jutta Hipp At the Hickory House Volume 2 which I'd be willing to trade for a clean copy of the TOCJ edition. I just find the JRVGs too awkward and fragile to handle not to mention cumbersome. As fr the sound, they seem to lack warmth and are too close up in sound for me. Any trades on the Jutta Hipp would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

Nil. Have been tempted to buy a few to fill in some gaps BUT the prices are a major deterrent. On a per CD basis, they even cost more than OOP Mosaics (granted many of JRVGs have never been on Mosaic)! I'd wait for RVGs or the Connoiseur series or Mosaic reissues even if takes 10 or more years.

Nil. Have been tempted to buy a few to fill in some gaps BUT the prices are a major deterrent. On a per CD basis, they even cost more than OOP Mosaics (granted many of JRVGs have never been on Mosaic)! I'd wait for RVGs or the Connoiseur series or Mosaic reissues even if takes 10 or more years.

I agree with you completely on the price of these things. However, if you can get them used for a good price, that's a different story. I own a few JRVGs/TOCJs but have never paid full price for them. The most I've ever paid has been $15.