How many JRVGs do you own?

jacknife

Continuing the How Many Do You Own series of threads. Just wondering how many JRVGs you all have. How do you like them compared to the US releases? I only have 15 but am slowly picking up more, cost is a big factor. Do you think they are worth the extra coin? I love the mini-lp packaging and why don't they make mini-lp packaging in the US? One last question, how do you store them? I'm looking for some sort of rack or tray where you can flip through them. Any recommendations?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you try to find mini-lp "sleeves".

I do have the mylar sleeves to prevent wear. Red Trumpet sells packs of 100, it will be forever before I use them all up! What I mean to ask, is there some sort of tray that will allow you to flip through them to see the front cover, since the spine is so small and with the obi, I can't read japanese. If you store them like a jewel case cd with just the spine showing, I can't tell one from the other.

Like JK, I'm a fan of these mini-lps. Haven't yet devised a way of protecting the cds as they come sliding out when I pick them up; but I just love the look of them. I just feel that the Japanese are always ahead of us when it comes to marketing or providing the consumer with superior merchandise included packaging.

I have around 7-10 of them. Too lazy to go upstairs and count. Wish I had more, but they are expensive.

I've got 46 of these and I do like the feel and look of the lp. That really comes through in the japanese cds and not just the Blue Notes. I have them in plastic sleeves but not designed for the mini lps but the ones for regular cds. They work nicely. Perhaps when I'm in the city (NYC) next I'll pick up a whole bunch of the special mini lp sleeves.

24, a nice even kind of number.

Despite the notorious variability in quality of the series, when they sound good, they sound REALLY good. Two of the Sonny Clark titles in particular - LEAPIN' AND LOPIN' and COMPLETE TRIOS (2 CDs) - are truly crown jewels in my BN CD collection. Also glad to have some of the Three Sounds stuff, and Duke Pearson's first couple of (piano trio) BN recordings, and the Fats Navarro and Herbie Nichols dates (wish RVG would get around to redoing those early classic BNs for the U.S. market).

Edited by DrJ

Zero for me. I only own about a dozen mini-LP's, none of which are available in jewel case versions. I think mini-LP's do look cool, but for me they're impractical to store. Besides the narrow spine issue mentioned above, they also don't fit into the CD racks and drawers that I have been using for the past ten years. Also, I generally prefer the sound of TOCJ's to the JRVG's I've heard.

I have all of them -- close to 300. As I have written about elsewhere I had 2 or 3 copies of the first 200 releases which I got at very little cost. I sold many of the duplicates to members on the old BNBB. I love the Mini-LP packaging although I change the inner sleeve and add a self-sealing outer sleeve. Generally, I prefer the sound of the JRVGs/RVGs to the TOCJs but not always. Sometimes the too wide stereo on the TOCJs sounds artificial. Actually, both series are recommended and I wouldn't want to part with either one. As well, often the JRVG and RVG of the same title (ie: Green Street) are different. The JRVG, TOCJ or RVG are always preferable to the earlier domestic releases.

Two - The Lou Mecca - which I really wanted to hear after hearing the fabulous 10" Conn series in the US. By the way, can anyone give me an intelligent reason why this was not released as part of this series along with the couple of other 10" BNs that have not been released in the US? Would it really have killed them to put out 2 or 3 or whatever number of discs to just get the material out? I never understood that.

The other I have is a Three Sounds - Good Deal, on which I got a very good deal up in Montreal. OTherwise, I generally wait for the US releases, though I'm really starting to wonder if the Sounds will ever get their due here in the good ol' USA.

I have 7 or 8, maybe. A record store out here used to have some at decent rates, but no longer (I think the supllier started going to EBay). Like Chuck, stored on shelves (not CD slot, but regular shelves) with other CDs, and there are so few that I know what they are.