Jazz musicians' wit and humor. Examples?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"For you -- one, two, three, four."

Tom McQuater, trumpet player

(McQuater died a few days ago at age 93)

Yes, that was sad to hear. It made the newspaper obits here. The house trumpeter for the Muppet Show - and trumpet linch-pin of many a UK TV orchestra (ATV etc).

And Zoot the Muppet saxophonist was Danny Moss?

This may explain it -

"GOELZ: The funny thing about Zoot was that I was about 26-27, and we always conceived of him as a 50 year-old, burnt-out musician. Now I'm 53, and I still can't play him - probably because I'm still locked into the Zoot I played from the beginning. If I started fresh it would certainly be easier at this point in my life. Anyway, I had a conception of him as a guy who was totally into his music, who lived in a succession of hotels, who had never had a home... his life was just music. And he was just spaced out all the time. He had no ability to communicate with people using words. As a result, whenever they scripted lines for him, I tried to give them to Floyd. I was always trying to give away lines, because I didn't know how to do him. The irony was, after I did this for awhile and Zoot became established as a rather silent character, people started coming to me and saying, "You know, that Zoot is amazing. I know somebody just like him."

Sammy Cahn came up to me during the party after the British premiere of The Muppet Movie and said, "You do Zoot? He is fantastic! I've known so many sax players just like him." I was bowled over; The only sax player I knew was Frank Reedy, of the Jack Parnell Orchestra, the musicians for the Muppet Show, and he wasn't anything like Zoot."

Edited by sidewinder

This may explain it -

"GOELZ: The funny thing about Zoot was that I was about 26-27, and we always conceived of him as a 50 year-old, burnt-out musician. Now I'm 53, and I still can't play him - probably because I'm still locked into the Zoot I played from the beginning. If I started fresh it would certainly be easier at this point in my life. Anyway, I had a conception of him as a guy who was totally into his music, who lived in a succession of hotels, who had never had a home... his life was just music. And he was just spaced out all the time. He had no ability to communicate with people using words. As a result, whenever they scripted lines for him, I tried to give them to Floyd. I was always trying to give away lines, because I didn't know how to do him. The irony was, after I did this for awhile and Zoot became established as a rather silent character, people started coming to me and saying, "You know, that Zoot is amazing. I know somebody just like him."

Sammy Cahn came up to me during the party after the British premiere of The Muppet Movie and said, "You do Zoot? He is fantastic! I've known so many sax players just like him." I was bowled over; The only sax player I knew was Frank Reedy, of the Jack Parnell Orchestra, the musicians for the Muppet Show, and he wasn't anything like Zoot."

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

MG

actually, the Armstrong story has several versions:

1) someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "it is not bebop."

2)someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "ask Stanley Crouch."

3) someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "ask Phil Schaap."

4) someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "please look it up in the Grove History of jazz when it comes out. I believe one of the contributors will be Larry kart."

5) someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "you could ask Allen Lowe but I believe he is only 7 years old. Give him time to grow up."

6) someone said to Armstrong, "what is jazz?"

he answered: "wait until 1995 and ask Scott Yanow."

Edited by AllenLowe

• 1 month later...

Bill Harris and Friends (OJC/Fantasy) with Ben Webster, Jimmy Rowles, Red Mitchell and Stan Levey has one of the most bizarre tracks I can recall. "Just One More Chance" is just over 2 minutes long and begins with Ben stating the melody in his silken style. Bill plays answering phrases, but they are very loud and with exaggerated vibrato. Eventually Ben stops playing and we get the following exchange as the rhythm section continues to play:

Ben: Hey Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill! Bill!

Bill: Yeah Ben?

Ben: You feel alright?

Bill: Yeah Ben. I feel good. How's yourself?

Ben: I'm pretty good, you know. A little backache now and then, but do you feel alright?

Bill: I feel good.

Ben: Uh huh. What are you doing now?

Bill: Well, I'm still with Woody.

Ben: Woody who?

Bill: Oh, you know.

Ben: Uh, oh yeah.

Bill: Well Ben, listen it's been nice talking to you.

Ben: Yes, same here man.

Bill: I'll see you around.

Ben: Yeah, around sometime.

The horns then take the tune out, but now Ben has lapsed into the same comic style as Bill.

Edited by BillF

I'll never forget that night that I had drinks with Clifford Brown and Max Roach. Max said, "O, these eclipses do portend these divisions," to which Brown replied, "I should have been that I am, had the maidenliest star in the firmament twinkled on my bastardising." Those guys were a couple of cards. Are they still recording?