Late 1960s post-bop

milestones20

I don't think Adams/Pullen, Arthur Blythe and Billy Harper could be considered late-60's post-bop. Billy might have shown up on a few recordings (Blakey, Gil Evans, etc.), but he is pretty much 70's and beyond.

Good point. :wub: I guess that I was thinking of "late-60s post bop" in musical, as opposed to chronological, terms. A lot of 70s post bop was a continuation of late-60s post bop.

P.S. Arthur Blythe's recordings with Horace Tapscott were late-60s proper.

Edited by John L

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two great recordings from the late '60s that I'm not sure have been released in their totality are the two that John Carter and Bobby Bradford made together for Bob Thiele's Flying Dutchman Label. The first "Flight for Four" had most, but not all, of its tracks reissued on a Novus CD titled "West Coast Hot" that also contained material by Horace Tapscott. The second, "Self Determination Music" has not been reissued in the US to my knowledge. Very exciting music!

The Kenny Cox stuff is good, and might sound better today than it probably did then. The "influences" are pretty obvious, but that's not as much an issue these days.

Myself, I'd say there's more "important" and/or "better" music made from this time, but when it comes to saying that you should bypass/ignore the Cox BNs because of that, I'll not do it.

Edited by JSngry

back a ways here someone (Bill Barton?) mentioned the Bill Barron Savoys - there's one in particular in which he goes head-to-head with Booker Ervin - wow! I knew Barron a little when he was at Wesleyan (middle 1980s?) and when I complimented him on this session he was very flattered - for all the braininess of his own writing, he was a helluva tenor in just a blowing situation -

back a ways here someone (Bill Barton?) mentioned the Bill Barron Savoys - there's one in particular in which he goes head-to-head with Booker Ervin - wow! I knew Barron a little when he was at Wesleyan (middle 1980s?) and when I complimented him on this session he was very flattered - for all the braininess of his own writing, he was a helluva tenor in just a blowing situation -

Title? Availability?

Title? Availability?

It's called Hot Line:

41HPKBN0Y4L._SS500_.jpg

It's been available in Japan, but you might want to consider the 1896 American LP reissue , which adds a cut.

Hot Line is a fine album indeed, not least for the way that Andrew Cyrille handle's Barron's quirky-ish compositions.

Title? Availability?

It's called Hot Line:

41HPKBN0Y4L._SS500_.jpg

It's been available in Japan, but you might want to consider the 1896 American LP reissue , which adds a cut.

Hot Line is a fine album indeed, not least for the way that Andrew Cyrille handle's Barron's quirky-ish compositions.

Thanks!

The Kenny Cox reissue very much fits but I am not at all certain that Manhattan Fever belongs in the "advanced hard bop" the originator of the thread is seeking. IMHO, pretty generic, if well-played hard bop, it could have been recorded five or ten years earlier.