Django Reinhardt...

EKE BBB

IMO, the total guitar master!

I´ve been listening to a few records of my own during the last years ("Souvenirs" - a good Decca compilation with material from 1938 to 1946 - and "Peche a la mouche vol.1" (Verve, 1947) & "Peche a la mouche vol.2" (Verve 1947-53)). Wonderful music, that Quintet of the Hot Club of France really swang!

And I recently bought this....

190.jpg

and was totally and definitely captivated! Guess there will be hundreds of hours for listening it!

Another Django fans out there?

Count me in! I have the Mosaic, I have the first JSP box, the Blue Note cd, I have I think all the Jazz in Paris cds, I have the RCA two cd "Jazz Heritage", I have some earlier cds I have bought. . .there is a little duplication in my holdings but I don't care.

I also have him appearing with the Duke Ellington Orchestra in Chicago and it is one of my favorites!

The swing, the ideas, the sound. . .one of the very best players ever.

Edited by jazzbo

Hey, EKE! Nice to see you over here a little more often!

Count me in on Django! I got the Mosaic as my very first Django album. Love it! Then added all those Jazz in Paris discs (the seven of them are now jointly sold as a "box set" which just holds the seven discs as issued seperately, as far as I know), and a Definitive set of 4CDs including all (as they say in their a little better than usual liners, so this might mean most of, of course lacking any alternates) recorded encounters of Django with US musicians. (Got that so cheap that I had to overcome my Definitive-phobia...)

Love all that music! His playing is so fluent, virtuosic, and so musical :wub:

ubu

Wonderful stuff, Django's playing. Never ceases to put a smile on my face. Personal faves are the JSP boxes (I have both of those) and the Blue Note with so many other greats on board (Hawkins, Rex Stewart, Benny Carter, etc). But I have yet to hear any Django I don't like.

Looking forward to the Mosaic box someday.

I really enjoy Django. I have the Mosaic and assorted others, many of which have already been mentioned. I would just like to suggest a Stephane Grappelli album, that may be of interest to you guys called "Young Django". This is a great album, not really a tribute album per se. I consider it a celebration of some really great music. It features Stephane on violin (and a little piano), NHOP on bass, and Philip Catherine and Larry Coryell on guitars. Highly, highly recommended to any Django fan.

I never really took the time to get into Django. I kept hearing so much about him, how he was such a great influence on so many players etc. But my pre hard bop bias kept me from going near any music that was not hard bop, much less pre-war.

As those barriers were removed, I finally picked up the Django Mosaic just to see what all the hub-bub was about. I was amazed. I love that set. Plus its led me to pick up a bunch of other older Mosaic sets like the Bailey, Bix, Venuti/Lang.

I ended up picking up the 1st JSP box, all the Jazz in Paris Djangos, the one released on Capitol a couple of years ago (All Star Sessions?)

The problem I have now is with so much Django out there, I'm not sure what to pick up that A.) Doesn't sound like crap. and B.) doesn't significantly duplicate what I have.

Manoir De Mes Reves has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I really dig Festival Swing - that song with the announcer who introduces the members of the band. Makes you really feel like you're there.

That Django Mosaic is one of my favorites.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Agustin,

what is exactly, content of that box set, you put cover on? Are they complete recordings?

I've heard about some Django set (Mosaic, probably) that have all studio and prewar live recordings, never issued studio takes etc.

And, do some Djangologist among us know, if the whole opus of this master issued, or we can expect new additions in future to come?

Agustin,

what is exactly, content of that box set, you put cover on? Are they complete recordings?

I've heard about some Django set (Mosaic, probably) that have all studio and prewar live recordings, never issued studio takes etc.

And, do some Djangologist among us know, if the whole opus of this master issued, or we can expect new additions in future to come?

Milovan:

the following link brings you to the french Editions Frémeaux & Associés. They are releasing an "Intégrale Django Reinhardt" series, which has arrived at volume 18 currently (this covers 1949-1950). I don't have any of their Django stuff, but it seems to be the most exhaustive documentation of his music currently to be found.

http://www.fremeaux.com/catalogue.htm

The following link has a good discography (also featuring ongoing addition of new Frémeaux releases):

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/django.htm

The Mosaic has the complete Swing/HMV recordings 1936-48. I don't know if this is complete in any useful way. Find more (& discography) here.

ubu

Wasn't much of a Django fan when I started getting interested in jazz (when he was still alive). My interests went to other musicians.

Really got into him when Pathe-Marconi France started issuing a full retrospective of his 30s and 40s sides. Some 14 LPS (or were there 17?, will have to check at home). That's when I really HEARD him.

Now I kick myself for having missed seeing him live. Wouldn't have been allowed at the Paris clubs where he played but Django appeared in several concerts series which I attended as a schoolboy to start my jazz education. Was young and stupid (I'm not young anymore but still stupid) and missed hearing Django live.

Recent welcome additions to my Django lore was the JSP box which featured the Quintette du Hot Club de France Decca sides and the Jazz in Paris CD reissues.

Haven't checked the Fremaud reissues but the Fremaud CDs I have heard have good sound (in a Chronogical Classics vein).

I first heard him on one of my Dad's "best of" Lps, and was totally amazed, at both the technical mastery and the emotional element in his playing. The only disc I have of him is one of the Jazz in Paris discs, which also has a clarinet player. I actually kind of forgot that there was a Django Mosaic; add another one to the list, I'm sure it's a beautiful set.

• 5 months later...

I have the Mosaic set (which I got to celebrate the birth of my daughter four years ago) and the Decca "Souveniers" disc (which was my first Django purchase). I love them both dearly, although I haven't listened to the Mosaic set nearly enough. I'd like to get more Django in the future, though. There's nothing else quite like him...

“Jazzbo” played a few cuts for me sometime back when I visited him. It was my first exposure to Django, and I was mesmerized. Sadly, though, I haven’t followed up on that. I’ll hear him on the radio occasionally and think, “Oh wow, I need to pick up something by him,” and then go and forget. I imagine that, when I do eventually get into his music, I’ll kick myself for waiting so long!

Any comments on the disc Djangology on Bluebird?

Al, being the lover of highly expensive cds that you ARE, I know you. . . .

You should hold off on the Djangology because I believe it is part of the upcoming JSP set that will have four cds for twenty bucks or so (you can preorder it for that at cduniverse right now). . . . There are a number of budget options: two other JSP sets, a Proper box. . . .

AND there are more expensive but more expansive ways as well to collect Django, including the Frog cds that I bet are da bomb . . . .

:g Ain't it the truth.

After posting earlier, I checked the FW Library website; turns out they have the JSP box called The Classic Early Recordings, which I'm gonna get this weekend!

Tell ya what, though; in the middle of posting this, I went over to the JSP website...... I gotta stay away from there; I could go broke VERY easily over there! :g

There you go see, the Library comes through! Libraries in dry counties are ALWAYS BETTER--they have to be!

You're gonna dig that set.

Picked it up yesterday, and my oh my is it swingin'!!! You're absolutely right: I AM DIGGIN' IT!!! :tup:tup:tup

I could listen to "Tiger Rag" nonstop and not get tired of it! Gotta figure out a way to afford that Mosaic set! :)

Al, hate to say this in a way: if you buy the first two JSP Django sets. . . you'll have the Mosaic set. . .and more material as well. And probably spend half the Mosaic cost or less.

Thanks for telling me, Lon! Getting the two boxes will be much easier to justify financially than getting the one box for twice as much! :tup

Big spender that I am, of course! ;)

Al, hate to say this in a way: if you buy the first two JSP Django sets. . . you'll have the Mosaic set. . .and more material as well. And probably spend half the Mosaic cost or less.

Lon, what more? Can you tell or would that be too much work?

And is the "more" Decca sides included on the Jazz in Paris discs?

I own those and the Mosaic - so I guess I won't need neither the first two JSPs nor the Proper, right?

thanks,

ubu